Thread: Reverse and opposite

Thanks

Default Reverse and opposite

In a few seminars that Mr. Parker did, he talked about the difference between reverse and opposite. I found this to be pretty interesting. What is the difference between the two.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Default Re: Reverse and opposite

There is a great posting explaining this one one of these boards. Explained clearly from someone who doesn't post enough.

The Opposite of a Right Neutral Bow is a Left Neutral Bow.

Think of the image staring back at you from the mirror. What the guy in the mirror is doing is the Opposite of what you are doing.

The Reverse is the direction of an action traveling backward. The Reverse of an Upward Block is a Downward Elbow.

To execute an Upward block from a Training Horse, your fist leaves your hip, travels to your centerline, moves up the center of your body (Fist - wrist - forearm - elbow all traveling on the vertical line) until at the last moment, your arm snaps to the deflection angle that forms the upward block.

The Reverse of that is to transition the angle of the upward block to the vertical line, and draw the hand in a downward motion, until you snap fist back to your hip. If you look at just that motion - from the upward block point of origin - the motion will look like an downward elbow in your center line.

I think I studied for close to five years before beginning to comprehend these to principles. Tip of the Hat to the gent who clarified this for me.

Mike

Thanks

Wow that is pretty much how Mr. Parker explained it.

So what would the double factor have to do with this?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Great explanation Michael.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

That was a great explanation. Thanks for sharing.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    So what would the double factor have to do with this?
    I assume you mean reversing the motion of blocks, strikes, etc., as opposed to double factoring a block- as in a minor block followed by a major block to his same weapon.

The structure and motion of any block is inherent in all the blocks. From an inward block to a downward block, the arm arcs down and across the body (since you've all done this, I'm going to spare you a recitation of all the details). To do a proper outward block, the motion reverses, exactly, and flows through the inward, then arcs across the body to a vertical outward, outward, and on to an extended outward. The vert outward and outward are just extended outward blocks that stoped early. And instead of just droping our outward block, we reverse the motion and flow through the inward block again, creating a constant moving check of the upper quadrants.

We can also strike with that reversing fist off the outward block, as with a hammerfist or knuckle rake. Same motion, allignment and mechanics as the block. Another type of "double factor".

I hope I got that close, or Doc will have me BAMed for not paying attention. And, I hope that was what you wre looking for.

Dan C

Thanks

sounds good to me.

Does anyone think we would actually have enough time to do this when doing an actual technique? Would anyone actually do this when doing a technique when the technique first starts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

What about the technique Shielding Hammer?

As the aggressor throws the left punch, we block it with our right extended outward and rebound off that block into the inward block for the right punch. Isn't this exactly what thedan has discussed with the one weapon doublefactor?

I think it is a matter of keeping our eyes open and reading what is going on in the attacks. Maybe?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    Does anyone think we would actually have enough time to do this when doing an actual technique? Would anyone actually do this when doing a technique when the technique first starts?
    Certainly! michaeledward's reply was one good example. But the other thing to remember is that we practice with full range of motion and what Doc calls "indexing". In actual use those blocks go from point of origin, however, those internal indexes you've trained are still there. So you get the same structure, allignment and power from a block that traveleed maybe half (or less) the distance. One good reason to not get sloppy when practicing basics. And a good reason for all of us to bug Doc for as much info as we can get out of him.

Dan C
    Last edited by thedan; 09-30-2006 at 08:06 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links