Thread: Forms on different terrain

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Forms on different terrain

Last night I was doing forms in the dark on a hillside while my dog was sniffing for rabbits and eating rasberries. I was thinking about the differences in experience when the terrain changes. then when I thought further I realized that I do forms in my bedroom frequently and make multiple footwork adjustments to fit the "terrain." I suspect these changes in enviroment improve our ability to spontaneously respond to different enviroments. any other opinions?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Forms on different terrain

I think working your material outside and with everyday shoes on is a good idea. We learn to slide our feet on the mats alot when we train, but honestly I think it's a pretty shaky idea. With shoes on, I'd be likely to sprain an ankle and stumble, so I find that when doing forms outside w/ shoes on I take deliberate steps. Watch out for that rock there and that ditch there.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

The long ones I really have to do outside. There's just not enough room inside for it. Other than making many adjust steps, stopping, then starting somewhere else. The land is not flat which makes it difficult in shoes as well.

Thanks

Doing kata on uneven terrain is more like 'combat kata'.

It's not terribly precise, and isn't as fluid, but when you're done, you get the feeling that you did something lethal to someone. lol.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Growing up on a ranch I used to spend most of my time doing forms outside. You definitely seem to lose some of the fluidity that you would on a smooth hard surface but, at the same time you get used to move on uneven and varied terrain.

Amy,

I like the term "combat kata", I will have to remember that.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

I recently started training in Pencak Silat, an art from a land with extreme variations in terrain (Indonesia). The forms in Silat reflect this.

In a real conflict, one may not be on a smooth flat surface. Mud, snow, ice, pavement cracks, curbs, gravel...all are very real situations to encounter.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Different terrain? Are you trying to kill me? I had problems enough with the carpet that we put down over the concrete. 9 times out of 10 I would snag my toe on the edge of the carpet and take a dive, once managing to break my pinky toe.

Acutally I've tried forms on varying terrain and different shoes too. Muddy grass was fun in my nice new white gi.

Ice proved to be interesting too. It wasnt my best performance to say the least.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

training in general when its raining and muddy outside.. both in bare feet and shoes.. is always fun deff helps work your balance if you slide when you settle... and breakfalling..

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

In a different thread I talked about using the forms to index basic movement. Does doing the forms in varying terrains and room configurations void the index function of the form or does it, if done carefully with conscious execution of good form, just increase the number of situations where the indexing is functional.

Jeff

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

On this same kind of idea... have you ever tried a form in something other than your standard workout clothes?

I tried it in a heavy jacket... I found that it constricted movemnt a lot more than I realized. Also be sure shoes are tied securely they tend o fly off when executing kicks
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I no longer remember the name of the thread but we have explored this topic on here before. I stringly believe in practing on a varity of surfaces/terrains and in clothing that you wear on the street on a normal basis and in dress clothes.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

At one camp, I talked to a guy in the UK who said he told his class to go back in and change into the clothes they arrived in and they did the whole class in that.

Women in heels. Men in boots and overcoats.

He said it was interesting.

For me it wouldn't be that different because I pretty much wear my gi pants every day. (Even when I'm not working out). They're comfortable! I got used to not being constricted.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    At one camp, I talked to a guy in the UK who said he told his class to go back in and change into the clothes they arrived in and they did the whole class in that.

Women in heels. Men in boots and overcoats.

He said it was interesting.

For me it wouldn't be that different because I pretty much wear my gi pants every day. (Even when I'm not working out). They're comfortable! I got used to not being constricted.

--Amy
    We have done this a couple of times in class in the past. Working out in your normal clothes and shoes/boots is a rel eye opener. I have to agree with Rob in that I strongly agree with practicing in what you will normally wear.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

A couple of times at class we've sparred in street clothes which was a good learning experience that I would suggest for everyone to try.

Now to get back to the topic, (sorry KenpoDoc) I agree that practicing forms on different terrain helps with timing, distance, footwork, etc.. pretty much improving our ability to adjust on the fly. I've noticed when I practice my forms in the kitchen with less room, I concetrate more on how much distance im closing and my stances and footwork. I noticed I've been getting better coping when im short on room. So it must be working for something...
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodoc View Post
    In a different thread I talked about using the forms to index basic movement. Does doing the forms in varying terrains and room configurations void the index function of the form or does it, if done carefully with conscious execution of good form, just increase the number of situations where the indexing is functional.
    Define indexing. Are you talking about internal musculo-skeletal indexing like Doc uses the term, or just upper/lower body coordination, timeing, and/or other principles of proper motion? Either way, I would think it will increase functinality. But especially in the motion context.

It would also build the supporting muscles to work out on varrying terrain and in different clothes. Also would help ballance, a feel forr the ground, adaptability, train a feel for the environment, ...

My brother used to do Star Block on top of a stack of cinder blocks (end to end, not sideways) stacked as high as he was. We'd do forms and spar on blocks scattered on the ground. Sort of like the Drunken guys (probably what we looked like, come to think of it). And we used to work outside and in varrying light a lot. Really good training.

Dan C

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Doing kata on uneven terrain is more like 'combat kata'.

It's not terribly precise, and isn't as fluid, but when you're done, you get the feeling that you did something lethal to someone. lol.

--Amy
    I like how you put that Amy.

I live in an area where there are numerous small streams, and there are some near my folk's house as well. When weather permits I like to stand in moving water and do forms/techs/sets there. It's a different experience.
    It reminds me of the part in Gichin Funakoshi's book "My way of Life", in which he gets on the roof of his house and practices Kihon and Kata during a monsoon!!!!
    ....that must have been a sight.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links