Thread: Four Ranges

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Four Ranges

Which of the four ranges do you operate from and which do you prefer to operate in?
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Default Re: Four Ranges

Are you asking in general teaching aspects or in sparring class?

If instructing a student at what level do you start teaching contact manipulation or penetration? As we know a majority of kenpo studio's don't teach rolling on the mat with other students working on joint locks, manipulations, submissions, chokes, and various other things. So in actual sparring class I've really only showed 1 student some different pointers on ground work. I admit that I am limited in ground fighting and only know a handful of things.

As for what I prefer it's keeping my hands on my opponent.

***In the end let's please not turn this thread into one of those stand up vs. grappling threads! ***

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

That's not the intent. Some people prefer to stay "Out of Range" move to the "In Range" to enage their opponent. Some people will intentionally stay "in range" and move for the "contact pentetration." As you can see, there are different possibilities and I just gave two examples. I was interested in other people's perspectives.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

Thanks for clarifying and as I stated a little earlier I prefer in range.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Talking Re: Four Ranges

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    Thanks for clarifying and as I stated a little earlier I prefer in range.
    hnmmmmmmmm

I personally prefer OUT OF RANGE myself.
    * Why is there always time to do it over, when there is never time to do it right?
    * K
    -knowledge E-enriches N-nice P-people O-only
    * All I ask for is ... Measurable Progress in Reasonable Time .....
    * Time will either Promote you or Expose You!
    * There are two ways of spreading the light.... 1]. to be the candle or 2]. the mirror that reflects it!
    * It's not what you take with you when you go....... but rather what you leave behind!

Thanks

I like out of range as well.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Would some one care to break out the crayolas and draw this out in color for me? For some reason I am not seeing the entire picture....
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Depending on my opponent if they have long legs/arms I stay close to them if I have longer arms/legs I give some distance.

I would say in range is you in their strikeing range, and out of range they have to come to you to stike....

if Im understanding you correctly seig...
    How long does it take for a average person to get a Black Belt?
    "Average people dont get Black Belts"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,309 Posts

I prefer contact range, I'm long legged; so, my contact penatration range happens before theirs.

Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenOne
    hnmmmmmmmm

Ok, Ok, the joke is on me.

However, had I been in the situation out of range or in range (shrugs) not a big deal to me. The only thing is I'd rather have my hands on someone.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Four Ranges

I prefer to opperate from a Zone of Sanctuary. I believe I can stay within any of the four ranges mentioned as long as I can reach my targets and my opponent can't.

As for which of the four ranges I prefer... I guess it would depend greatly on the situation that I'm in at the time.

Mr. Parker did say that distance was your best friend. I guess the amount of distance would depend on what kind of friend you're looking for at the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lear
    I prefer to opperate from a Zone of Sanctuary. I believe I can stay within any of the four ranges mentioned as long as I can reach my targets and my opponent can't.

As for which of the four ranges I prefer... I guess it would depend greatly on the situation that I'm in at the time.

Mr. Parker did say that distance was your best friend. I guess the amount of distance would depend on what kind of friend you're looking for at the time.

Your answer brings up a good point. These are, in fact, stages, and with that your answer translates to out of contact.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Good replies all. When I was in the military, one of the guys I trained with was a guy that was nearly blind named Mike Davis. Mike had this really annoying technique, he'd grab you, pull you almost against his chest and then round kick you in the head (he usually caught you with a shin if you were shorter than he was). His preference was to get to the contact manipulation range and stay there. I am barrel chested with fairly short arms, I really like to work someone from the contact penetration range so that I can bring my power to bear on them while neutralizing their distance weapons. One of my other instructors used to describe sparring with me as "trying to fight in a phone booth." He was very tall and thin with long limbs, I would get close enough to neutralize his height. This was before I knew about the "zones" and was working largely from instinct. One of my laments was that I didn't discover Kenpo sooner as much of what I learned the hard way was already laid out, eliminating the need for me to reinvent the wheel.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I tend to prefer either out of range or "eye-gouging and fish-hooking range" (I guess that would be called "contact manipulation range")
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Four Ranges

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenOne
    hnmmmmmmmm

Me too!
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

OK, so if you are out of range, how do you close the gap? Or is that another thread?

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Four Ranges

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    OK, so if you are out of range, how do you close the gap? Or is that another thread?
    Here's one for a fighter who is constantly trying to get away from you (staying out of range):

Lunge towards your opponent, grab his arm, and pull him into a reverse punch. The grab, if done in conjunction with a lead leg check, should off balance your opponent before the execution of the punch.

Dennis Nackord calls this the Immobilization Attack.

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Here's one for a fighter who is constantly trying to get away from you (staying out of range):

Lunge towards your opponent, grab his arm, and pull him into a reverse punch. The grab, if done in conjunction with a lead leg check, should off balance your opponent before the execution of the punch.

Dennis Nackord calls this the Immobilization Attack.

Jamie Seabrook
    If you wathced the Warriors video that was released a few years ago, I believe there is a snippet of Mr. Parker showing that very thing to Benny Uriquedez. We have something very similiar to it called B2A

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    OK, so if you are out of range, how do you close the gap?
    I prefer to allow my opponent to close the gap for me.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger
    Your answer brings up a good point. These are, in fact, stages, and with that your answer translates to out of contact.
    Out of contact for who? My opponent or me?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links