Thread: Training help

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Training help

I posed this question on the MartialTalk general forum and didn't get quite the response I was hoping for, so perhaps my fellow Parker Kenpo brothers and sisters could help me out.

Due to academic needs I changed colleges, taking me about 6 hours away from my instructor. For financial reasons, and out of loyalty (for lack of a better term) to my instructor, seeking instructor near my new school is not really an option.

I feel that without the guidance of an instructor my skills are beginning to slip despite my efforts to keep practicing. When working on forms or techniques I second guess myself about how "right" I am. I know it would be worse if I didn't practice at all, but I am worried about developing bad habits.

What are some things I can do to make sure that I am not making grievous errors? Video tape myself and review the tape?

Thank you

-Josh
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Training help

Hey Josh,

Loyalty is a good thing
    Maybe you could contact your instructor and set up 'private lessons' over netmeeting. Work out a time and price for such and he/she can review you doing your material 'live'.
    With the internet and webcams.. distance doesn't have to thwart training.

Just a thought.

~Tess

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I don't think you are being disloyal looking for a new place to train while your are 6 hours away. Talk with your Instructor about the schools available at your new location.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I spoke to my instructor before I moved. In fact he was the first to know about my transfer, he knew before my parents. We discussed who I should look up when I was in Sacramento. For financial reasons and others I can no longer train there. My financial situation is that I really can't afford lessons in the area I am now. As for loyalty, I discussed this with both my instructor and the instructor in Sacramento, that I would continue to test under my original instructor.

The webcam idea is a good one Tess, I don't know if my instructor is up for that, but I will talk to him and some of the other black belts under him to see if i could work something out.

As for arranging for private lessons I will do that as I can given time and money, in fact I am going to see him this Friday (time for lots of notes).

Thanks again

-Josh
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links