Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analogies

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Analogies

Who all uses the analogies when teaching? What is your favorite analogy to use when teaching?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: Analogies

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Who all uses the analogies when teaching? What is your favorite analogy to use when teaching?
    I use quite a few really.
    One of my favorites was told me by my instructor and friend Sean J. Carey.
    "Get into the position you would be in if you were riding a skateboard and about to push off with your right foot on the ground.... now straighten the back leg and you are in a Forward Bow."

Pretty interesting..
    There are others, some more useful and some more insightful, but this is one that I used just recently.

Your Brother
    John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,309 Posts

I love the "do this like you are throwing a baseball" analogy.

Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I use them all the time, I do not know if I have a favorite.

I like some that are very colorfull! For example, tonight I was having "issues" getting my college classes to swivel their hips, so were doing some drills to really get them into it, and I popped off with "come one! If a hill billy from Memphis can do it, so can you!" That's probably only funny to Kenpoists.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

One of my fav's was one that one of my instructors used to describe anatomical repositioning. His analogy was that a good Kenpoist is like a professional pool-player. They each use their "shots" to set up the next one, and the next one, and so on.

Another, for teaching the forward bow (keeping the heel down) is to have them envision pushing a car, sometimes I actually have them go to the wall and actually push like they're going to knock it over.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Analogies

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    I use them all the time, I do not know if I have a favorite.
    I like some that are very colorful! For example, tonight I was having "issues" getting my college classes to swivel their hips, so were doing some drills to really get them into it, and I popped off with "come on! If a hillbilly from Memphis can do it, so can you!" That's probably only funny to Kenpoists.
    "Thank you, thank you very much" for posting that one, Sir.
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

The analogy that my instructor used the most was this:

Basics are like letters. You learn your letters so you can make words. Techniques are words. Learn to combine words to form sentences and paragraphs and you get forms (katas).

I like this a lot because learning Kenpo is very much like learning a language. If you don't learn the basics you can’t learn to spell the words that make up techniques. If you don't understand the meaning of the words (or techniques) then you can't possibly understand sentences and paragraphs (katas).
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Analogies

There are so many good ones I've heard & read over the years - it's hard to choose a favorite. One that I remembered recently was in Vol. 1 of Infinite Insights: "Your mind is like a parachute - it works best when it's open."
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I also like the one about Lincoln. As I am short and broad chested, I like to describe my method of fighting as "phone booth fighting".
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: Analogies

Any other good analogies out there?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

This isn't really an analogy but, "Very good, you just scared the hell out of the air, now hit him!"

Thanks

This isn't really an analogy but, "Very good, you just scared the hell out of the air, now hit him!"
    If I may use that line, I will be using it alot inthe very near future.

Thanks

Not an analogie persay... but I had a Sensai that when I asked him the best method of setting up a throw his answer was.

"Cary, those younger kids can run arorund, jump, attack, all they want. Me.. I like my Buddah belly, I worked hard for this... i'm gonna let them come to me, use as little energy as possible and then tie them up like a pretzel."

Keep in mind he was kinda short and round.

Thanks

I also like the one about Lincoln. As I am short and broad chested, I like to describe my method of fighting as "phone booth fighting".
    Ever get a younger student asking "whats a phone booth?"

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

hahahahah what a horrifying thought...

instant pushups... just for that!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

When describing back up mass I like to use SGM Parkers Truck and Bumper analogy. You know the one, goes something like "..it's not the bumper that does the damage on impact but the weight of the truck behind it."

I experience difficulty in getting students to understand how parries work. They always want to meet force on force. I kept telling them parries redirect force, not intercept it. Finally, I came up with this:

Parries are like the flaps on an airplane wing. The flaps (your parry) redirect the force of the strike (the wind) which in turn changes the dircetion the plane is traveling in (alters the path of the strike.)

It helped...=)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Bruce Lee always said "Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless. Like water. Now put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You pour water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put water into a teacup, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow creep or drip -- or crash!
    Be water, my freind." So I tell this to my students and show them the difference between crashing and flowing and tell them to play around in techniques and figure out when to crash and when to flow. THis also teaches them the difference between Minor and Major moves.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I experience difficulty in getting students to understand how parries work. They always want to meet force on force. I kept telling them parries redirect force, not intercept it. Finally, I came up with this:

Parries are like the flaps on an airplane wing. The flaps (your parry) redirect the force of the strike (the wind) which in turn changes the dircetion the plane is traveling in (alters the path of the strike.)

It helped...=)
    Glad to hear that, CC. My old instructor used to tell us that parries "ride & guide" (as opposed to blocks which are used to "hit & hurt"). It helped me remember the difference.

Thanks

I always use my own analogy for parries. I tell teh students to imagine an egg being thrown at them, if tehy block it they get messy, if the try and catch it they get messy. They need to gently re-direct its flight path so they don't get egg on their face.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 2,168 Posts

When a student has his feet too much in alignment in a fighting stance, or opens his front foot in a hard bow, I relate the corresponding lack of stability to standing on a surfboard or an ironing board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links