• Ed Parker's Encyclopedia of Kenpo

7 15.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed Parker Books

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Ed Parker Books

As we all know Ed Parker wrote many books, which is you favorite(s). Please also share why you chose what you did.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,344 Times in 1,415 Posts

Default Re: Ed Parker Books

Secrets of Chinese Karate is still favorite. Just like the feel of the book, and perspective on kenpo presented. II series is always good. Have a copy of Zen, and haven't opened it since the first read-through, and signing. I wanted something more out of it along the lines of spiritual development, and was a little bummed to see a collection of clever -ism's.

Regards,

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I too really like the Secrets of Chinese Karate, mainly because of the old school feel to it. I love my copies of the Infinite Insights series, they contain so much to help you excel. Lastly I like the Zen of Kenpo, the sayings can be very helpful at times.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I like Kenpo Karate- the Law of the Fist and Empty Hand, since it reaffirms that the Kenpo I do is so similar to Ed Parker's original style.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I have all the books that are listed in the poll and my favorite is still the "Infinte Insight Series"..followed by a close second is Memories of Ed Parker by his wife Leilani Parker.
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I have all of Mr. Parker's Books. Some I bought through different sources before the dark times, but most I got courtesy of Mr. Conatser when they became difficult to find. I love the II series, I find a deeper understanding and something new each time I read them. I also like the Zen of Kenpo, which I got in almost mint condition hardback from Doug Hall. As the sayings are a part of our curric, I love having an alphabetized listing of them at my fingertips. I enjoyed Chinese Kenpo but find it dated. I do enjoy the historical context. I have to admit, I did not enjoy the Memories book at all. In my opinion, it was more about the writers and not enough about Mr. Parker. I also have a first edition hard back of Mr. Parker's Elvis book, which I enjoyed. His love of Elvis comes through quite clearly.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Ditto Seig. I thing Volumes IV and V of Infinite Insights are my favorites, followed by Zen.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

My favorite is definitely Secrets of Chinese Karate, i own a paperback and hardcover edition of this book! Love the historical references and illustrations - especially of two man set. My favorite II's are Books 3 & 4 (the most highlighted and dog-eared of the series). I recently picked up Ed Parker's Guide to the Nunchaku and once again enjoy the historical references and am still working through the methods of execution. The photos are great!

I must say the one that i get the biggest "kick" out of is The Woman's Guide to Self-Defense. The black and white line drawings by Jim McQuade of the women - especially, are a real "hoot"! LOL! Those of you that have seen it, surely know what i mean! Maybe it's the high heels and hairdos.... maybe not! Nonetheless, the content is good.

Peace,

Donna

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

gotta say the illustrations in the II books are also quite a 'hoot'...as for spiritual development, i'll stick with the tao te ching.

pete

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: Ed Parker Books

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    I love the II series, I find a deeper understanding and something new each time I read them. I also like the Zen of Kenpo. As the sayings are a part of our curriculum, I love having an alphabetized listing of them at my fingertips. I enjoyed Chinese Kenpo but find it dated. I do enjoy the historical context. I have to admit, I did not enjoy the Memories book at all. I also have a first edition hard back of Mr. Parker's Elvis book, which I enjoyed. His love of Elvis comes through quite clearly.
    All of the above goes for me too, except that I did enjoy the Memories book. There were quite a few photos & stories that I had not seen/heard before (for example, when Mr. Parker & Elvis appeared at the Parker kids' bible study class at 6:00am one day).

I don't have the Women's Guide to Self-Defense yet, but am considering buying it; I've perused Mr. Billings' copy of it (& yes Donna, I loved the hairdos & heels too! LOL).
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I have yet to read any of those books in their entirety *cringes* I have read bits and peices of them, but they are difficult to find, especially on my limited budget.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

My favorites are the Infinite Insights books. I enjoyed all five of them. I liked the Encyclopedia of Kenpo also for its simplicity with definitions. The Nunchaku book is good, but it has a "too commercial" feel to it with its emphasis on the specific nunchaku brand. I felt it distracted from the information presented in the book. I'm guessing the company probably helped pay for the printing of that book as long as their brand is mentioned throughout. <shrug>

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Reviving thread for newer members...

Which book(s) of Mr. Parker's did you like the best, & why?
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ceicei
    My favorites are the Infinite Insights books. I enjoyed all five of them. I liked the Encyclopedia of Kenpo also for its simplicity with definitions. The Nunchaku book is good, but it has a "too commercial" feel to it with its emphasis on the specific nunchaku brand. I felt it distracted from the information presented in the book. I'm guessing the company probably helped pay for the printing of that book as long as their brand is mentioned throughout. <shrug>

- Ceicei
    CeiCei, putting it in historical context. When that book was published, there were few quality brands around. At that particular time, most of the non name brands were not balanced well, nor were they constructed well. They were likely to hurt the practitioner.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

I have the "Insights" series and really enjoy reading and re-reading them.

I also like the "Encycolpedia" as a great reference and the forward by Ed Parker Jr. where he talks about the days before his fathers death. I don't have the book in front of me at the moment so I'll have to paraphrase, but I thought the statement by SGM Parker that as much as he had learned and discovered he realized he had barely scratched the surface was quite profound.

I got the "Elvis" book for Christmas but haven't even opened it yet. I guess I'll get around to it eventually. =)

BTW: it's not in the list, but I read that SGM Parker wrote a book geared toward Law Enforcement. Anybody have any info on that? Thanks! =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,672 Times in 5,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    BTW: it's not in the list, but I read that SGM Parker wrote a book geared toward Law Enforcement. Anybody have any info on that? Thanks! =)
    Not true. We never finished it. I have all the notes and have used elements of and developed it over the years.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Any plans on finishing it and getting into print? I would LOVE to read what you have!

=)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Any plans on finishing it and getting into print? I would LOVE to read what you have!

=)
    I agree, would like to read it also
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,672 Times in 5,451 Posts

=)
    I finished one of our projects by writing and performing in a double volume law enforcement video series in 1991. It utilized the basics from what we were working on, and I've improved upon the material since then. It was called the "Universal Arrest & Control System." It utilized video from actual academy classes taught to advanced officers from various local agencies. Reviews from veteran officers were very good.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

We have police officers as students (imagine that ) and my instructor was a former police officer in OK. What are the chances of me getting my grubby little hands on some of this material? Is the video series for sale? =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links