Thread: Additives

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Additives

A lot of schools have added to their Parker curriculum. I have seen Ju jitsu, Modern Arnis, and weapons work added in to the curriculum at some schools. What if anything have you added to your curriculum, and why?

Thanks

Default Re: Additives

For the most part, I don't add much outside of EPAK. I feel there is more than enough to learn and master as it is.

But since I also have a black belt in Modern Arnis, Black Dragon System Kung Fu, and Shorinji-Ryu Karate, I will often add some weapons forms for the serious students, the occasional Arnis stick or knife flowing drill, or perhaps an advanced Kung Fu Form for tournament competition.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

I like the idea of having weapons in. A lot of folks don't know how to handle defending with a weapon...or more acurately, they don't understand how to apply what they know to a weapon...plus they don't know how to be OFFENSIVE with the weapon.

I guess what Im saying is that having familiarity with a weapon can only help. How you defend against a stick is a little different from how you would defend against a blade...I mean you don't want anyone accidently slicing themselves open, right?
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    I like the idea of having weapons in. A lot of folks don't know how to handle defending with a weapon...or more acurately, they don't understand how to apply what they know to a weapon...plus they don't know how to be OFFENSIVE with the weapon.

I guess what Im saying is that having familiarity with a weapon can only help. How you defend against a stick is a little different from how you would defend against a blade...I mean you don't want anyone accidently slicing themselves open, right?
    familiiarity with weapons is a good idea (IMO). If you train to USE a weapon you learn the effective range among many other things. When it comes time to DEFEND against a weapon you have trained with you are better suited because you know how the weapon is applied (given a situation where the opponent can effectivly use their weapon).

For myself I try to add as much wrestling/ground fighting kinds of things. This is beacuse I was sparring with a yellow belt one day and we got tangled up and ended up on the ground. We were about equal in size and strength but he had been a wrestler in high school. I was quickly pinned and I vowed to learn to handle myself on the ground.

-Josh-
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

Id like to see more of the grappling myself....Its def a very good idea to know how to get out of a situation from the ground level.
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links