Thread: Mr. Tatumís videos

Thanks

Default Mr. Tatumís videos

Well the other day I watched a few of Mr. Larry Tatumís Tip of the week video clips. All I can say is WOW he is fast, and an unbelievable martial artist. I donít know hardly anything about Mr. Tatum other that what I was able to read on his website. The school I attend is not affiliated with that lineage, so from the techís I was able to see the video clips of Mr. Tatum doing they looked somewhat the same as I am learning but just little different. I am thinking I will hold off on buying Mr. Tatumís videos of the techniques for now until I have a much better understanding of the way my instructor expects me to do them. But I am interested in some of the other tapes that are offered. Things like foot work/stances, closing distance and I am sure if I look there are many, many tapes offered. I wanted to ask if anyone might be able to recommend and videos for a first year student? Something that wonít clash real badly with the way a tech is done in that lineage vs. another. But more in the way of strikes, parries, blocks. Or even some training sets?

Thanks in advance. Phil
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Mr. Tatumís videos

I just bought the "When Kenpo Strikes" series and they are awesome. I particularly enjoyed the Street and Tournament sparring tapes.
    Highly recommended.
    "I dont know if you know this but......I am kind of a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogony" Ron Burgandy

Thanks

Scroll down Larry Tatum's items to order. He has tapes/dvd's for beginners, intermediate, and advanced students.

His Kenpo series is the best I have seen so far.....and I've seen quite a bit.

With respect to techniques, every lineage has some differences. I wouldn't let that be a hindrance to you in ordering any of these tapes/dvd's. Also, keep your eye out on ebay - sometimes you can get some remarkable deals.

Hope that helps.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Who are you under?

Mr. Tatum's technique videos are really excellent for explaining the techniques. I find that I enjoy watching videos from people who do the techniques differently as well, because it gives me something else to think about. Then I have to look at the WHY aspect of the differences.

The advantages an disadvantages of doing things one way or another. It's all about thinking about stuff. If it makes you think, it's good.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Who are you under?

Mr. Tatum's technique videos are really excellent for explaining the techniques. I find that I enjoy watching videos from people who do the techniques differently as well, because it gives me something else to think about. Then I have to look at the WHY aspect of the differences.

The advantages an disadvantages of doing things one way or another. It's all about thinking about stuff. If it makes you think, it's good.

--Amy

Well a short version of how it was explained to me by Mr. Gorham. My instructors, instructor Mr. Eddy Jolly was under the Tracy linage. But I was told that we donít fall directly under that teaching system but it has an influence. I guess we are kind of hinds 57 LOL.

As for watching other ways of doing things I love it also, you took the words from my mouth in that it gives me something else to think about. But since I am getting so much info so fast (well to me it seems that way anyway) I need to spend a lot of time working on doing things the way that I am expected to perform them in class. I figure that down the road I will have time to study or at least experiment with others ways of doing the same tech. I will also have a better understanding of why the way I was taught works but also why the way some one else does it works just as well and can added to the tool box.

I also wanted to say thanks for the advice that was posted so far, keep it coming everyone.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    But since I am getting so much info so fast (well to me it seems that way anyway) I need to spend a lot of time working on doing things the way that I am expected to perform them in class.
    I can understand that too. I got some great videos of techniques, which I watched over and over until I realized that they are done differently than how I'm supposed to learn them.

So I learned the techniques the way I'm 'supposed' to know them, and have since gone back and re-watched the other ways and am putting it all together.

Fortunately, you're on your own timeline, so you can spend the rest of your life working it out.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links