Thread: MMA tech

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default MMA tech

Okay, drives me nuts to watch but most of these mma guys are wing punchers. Throwing their elbows out there while punching. Top tier guys. I'm sure it enlists other muscles and might feel like they are getting power out of it. It just seems upper body centric, not a lot of hips in that kind of punching imo. And the same guys are Muay Tai & kickboxing practitioners. Dunno, makes me want to be an mma couch. Not that I'd last 30 seconds in a ring myself but that there is definitely some technique these mega athletes could employ to help them dominate that we've learned as kenpoists. For example "with" is available in just about every fight I've seen. They just haven't been trained to use it. Among many other basic things I've learned as a kenpoist over the years.

Anyway, doing the PPV for UFC 260 tonight!

Give me some of your observations.
    Basics, the rest is bullshytery.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,488 Posts

Default Re: MMA tech

I personally don’t have any interest in MMA. I don’t watch it, I don’t know who the competitors are, I don’t care. So take my comments with a grain of salt, I may not know what I’m talking about.

I have seen claims that the broad body of MMA competitors and trainers and competition has analyzed everything possible with the goal of, if it can make a competitor better, then they definitely want to incorporate it. So by now, after some decades of the sport, if they haven’t incorporated it, then it probably isn’t the best approach. I think this is probably true, up to a point and with some caveats and given the context of the sport and their goals.

First, let’s get out of the way the idea that they have systematically studied and analyzed every system. There are simply too many, and too much variation within systems, to believe that is even remotely possible, and especially to a depth of genuine understanding and skill. So no, not everything. But in the spirit of the idea, ok, they have brought in a lot of expertise from different systems. I can buy that.

the other big issue I believe is that a mma competitor wants to compete, and wants to be able to do so rather quickly so he/she can have a long career. This mandates that they develop their skills quickly, to a level where competition becomes possible. I would say this means that some methodologies that may take longer to develop may get rejected or overlooked, even if they hold greater potential in the long run. Delving deeply into these methods may put their competitive career on hold for longer than they are willing to accept. So they make choices in how they train and what they do, and to some extent, those choices include developing an acceptable level of skill within an acceptable amount of time. I suspect that those competitors who come into the sport after a lengthy background in older methods may have a better perspective on this than one who has only ever trained in an mma gym that only focuses on the competition reality. Those folks may simply have no idea that other approaches exist, or don’t feel that other approaches are worthy of consideration or even respect.

I believe that is at least part of the equation in how an mma competitor trains and performs.

To your point, I suspect that I too could teach an open-minded mma competitor some principles and concepts that could affect his/her performance in a positive way. It would require that they be open to the process and be willing to dedicate some amount of time whole-heartedly to that training. Then they could incorporate that into their other training and I suspect it could enhance all that they do. But it takes time, likely away from competition, and I doubt they would typically be interested in doing that. That and I don’t pretend to be the toughest fellow on the block so maybe I wouldn’t be viewed as a worthy coach in this context.

So, for what it’s worth.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

DRANKIN (03-30-2021),KirkS (03-29-2021),punisher73 (03-29-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,278 Posts

I agree with FC on his assessment. It's all about quick and easy. But, look at someone like Nick Diaz, when he was in his prime he tore guys up with his boxing skills. They didn't know how to deal with a good BOXER who used distancing and jabs and didn't just throw the looping power punches.

The thing about MMA is that you won't see a new skill/technique until you see a guy with a traditional background use it and then people see its worth and start using it. For example, you never saw hammerfists until Sakuraba used them. You never really saw front snapping kicks (not the Muay Thai push kick/teep) until Machida used them.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

DRANKIN (03-30-2021),KirkS (03-29-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    It's all about quick and easy.
    and what's mandated by the rules of the ring
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KirkS For This Useful Post:

DRANKIN (03-30-2021),punisher73 (03-30-2021)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

The new weapon in mma is the calf kick. Basically a downward roundhouse to the top of the back of the calf. Crippling.

What we've all seen, and has become totally expected, is a kick or strike coming, the other guy bracing to block or getting out of the way. Totally reasonable! Totally to be expected! Very rarely, basically never, do we see blocking with a strike. It's not taught or trained for. Not that I've seen.

So, that calf kick, something that can be trained for... They see it coming but just plant for it, absorb it... Like, "it's gonna hurt so I'll try to minimize the damage". It's all you can do in that split second because they haven't trained any other way to deal.

Lift and front kick or/ switch and front kick. Don't absorb that kick. Yeah, not gonna work all the time but I think it would work most of the time because you see them reacting to it before it connects. It's coming, they know it's coming, but don't have a tech for it so the plant or lift.

These guys, at this level, are phreaky athletes, totally trainable for quick twitch technique.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DRANKIN For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-30-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KirkS View Post
    and what's mandated by the rules of the ring
    Correct.

Look at what happened when some UFC guys went over to Pride and vice versa, they didn't fair too well because of the different rules and fighting environment (ring vs. octagon cage).
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-30-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRANKIN View Post
    The new weapon in mma is the calf kick. Basically a downward roundhouse to the top of the back of the calf. Crippling.

What we've all seen, and has become totally expected, is a kick or strike coming, the other guy bracing to block or getting out of the way. Totally reasonable! Totally to be expected! Very rarely, basically never, do we see blocking with a strike. It's not taught or trained for. Not that I've seen.

So, that calf kick, something that can be trained for... They see it coming but just plant for it, absorb it... Like, "it's gonna hurt so I'll try to minimize the damage". It's all you can do in that split second because they haven't trained any other way to deal.

Lift and front kick or/ switch and front kick. Don't absorb that kick. Yeah, not gonna work all the time but I think it would work most of the time because you see them reacting to it before it connects. It's coming, they know it's coming, but don't have a tech for it so the plant or lift.

These guys, at this level, are phreaky athletes, totally trainable for quick twitch technique.
    Yep, and we will also see a "swing" in the techniques that we see. A "new" technique will be introduced and then it will catch on and then an easy defense will learn and it will/may fall out of favor. Then it will come back around because the newer generation hasn't seen it and learned the defense of it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-30-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRANKIN View Post
    This is considered new in MMA? Interesting. I guess I always figured you can feel free to target anything you want with your weapons. Roundhouse kick has been around for a long time. Targeting the legs with a roundhouse kick is common. The calf is part of the leg...
    Michael

15. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-30-2021)

Thanks

Yep, and we will also see a "swing" in the techniques that we see. A "new" technique will be introduced and then it will catch on and then an easy defense will learn and it will/may fall out of favor. Then it will come back around because the newer generation hasn't seen it and learned the defense of it.
    What do you mean by a “swing” in the techniques?
    Michael

17. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-30-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    What do you mean by a “swing” in the techniques?
    Techniques will come back around again (assuming they weren't banned).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KirkS (04-02-2021)

Thanks

Techniques will come back around again (assuming they weren't banned).

Ah, of course. As I re-read this I realized what you were saying.
    Michael

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

KirkS (04-02-2021),punisher73 (04-02-2021)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    This is considered new in MMA? Interesting. I guess I always figured you can feel free to target anything you want with your weapons. Roundhouse kick has been around for a long time. Targeting the legs with a roundhouse kick is common. The calf is part of the leg...
    Yes, the target is new to mma. I mean, it's been used but not intentionally until it was realized that it is so devastating in an mma environment.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DRANKIN For This Useful Post:

flying crane (04-03-2021)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links