Thread: Ed Parker Belt Ceremony and the 4 L'?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Ed Parker Belt Ceremony and the 4 L'?

Can anyone explain the 4'L of Ed Parkers color belt ceremonies? In relations to the old belt and new belt making a L shape? Or in is it in one of his books and which one?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Ed Parker Belt Ceremony and the 4 L'?

Loyalty longevity love lie

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ma_student For This Useful Post:

KirkS (06-15-2020),Tdake (06-13-2020)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

do you know if there is any books or webpages were it explains it?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Whatís there to explain itís those 4 words. You should hear it explained after every grading or just ask your instructor. Ed Parker didnít write every single thing down on paper

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tdake View Post
    do you know if there is any books or webpages were it explains it?
    It is written down somewhere. Although, I currently do not have access to my library.

I'm thinking I may have seen the description in the Belt Journals of the early 80's. I don't recall it being part of the Infinite Insights. But, this is all based on memory.

I am probably 3 months away from getting my library back. Sorry I can't help more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

KirkS (06-16-2020)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I just checked all the Infinite insights books and can't see it there. In our promotion ceremonies we talk about the "L" symbolising the journey with the old belt the past and the new the road ahead. With respect to the Ls' we highlight 'loyalty' to the school, the instructors and each other; 'longevity' (we use 'life') we focus on the fact that kenpo is a lifelong pursuit, that will never finish learning and the 'Lie' being the fact that you need to be honest and true to yourself and others, that you need to be confident you earned the belt, that you gave it your all and you wearing it is not a lie. We don't focus on love but given Mr Parker's religion and culture I would think it would focus on love of God and of Family (Ohana) but others on here may have a more accurate interpretation than ours.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    http://www.kenpoguy.com/phasic-kombatives-integrated/phasic-kombatives/
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealMickyT View Post
    I just checked all the Infinite insights books and can't see it there. In our promotion ceremonies we talk about the "L" symbolising the journey with the old belt the past and the new the road ahead. With respect to the Ls' we highlight 'loyalty' to the school, the instructors and each other; 'longevity' (we use 'life') we focus on the fact that kenpo is a lifelong pursuit, that will never finish learning and the 'Lie' being the fact that you need to be honest and true to yourself and others, that you need to be confident you earned the belt, that you gave it your all and you wearing it is not a lie. We don't focus on love but given Mr Parker's religion and culture I would think it would focus on love of God and of Family (Ohana) but others on here may have a more accurate interpretation than ours.
    I knew I had seen it and read it somewhere long ago; page 17 of the IKKA 3rd degree brown journal. Good Luck
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_student View Post
    What’s there to explain it’s those 4 words. You should hear it explained after every grading or just ask your instructor. Ed Parker didn’t write every single thing down on paper
    Actually he wrote volumes down. Quit being an a**.
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    Actually he wrote volumes down. Quit being an a**.
    Lol what got you so triggered? I simply said he didnít write every single thing about kenpo down....how is that being an ass bit over sensitive arenít you

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ma_student For This Useful Post:

KirkS (06-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_student View Post
    Lol what got you so triggered? I simply said he didnít write every single thing about kenpo down....how is that being an ass bit over sensitive arenít you
    Yeah, triggered is used to describe me a lot. Iím so sensitive.
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

KirkS (06-18-2020)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

This is from Lee Wedlake:

Make an "L" with the present belt by only folding it once and laying it down so that the tabs are in front on the 3-9 line. Then proceed with the ceremony. The "L" signifies much and this portion of the ceremony may be added to but not reduced. The awarding authority states what the "L" signifies by describing the following. The new belt is pointed out and it is stated that it symbolizes the present. The old belt on the student’s left is pointed out and it is stated that it symbolizes the past. It enhances the ceremony to mention that the old belt (the past) got them to the new belt (the present) and it should be treated with respect whether it is on the floor or around someone’s waist. Additional mention of how one lines up in class with the lower rank to the left may be made to reinforce the meaning.
    Ed Parker’s "alphabet" may be used to add meaning at this point. The "L" stands for loyalty, love, learning, longevity, and more. These may be elaborated on if so desired.
    At this time the empty space on the student’s right is pointed out and described as symbolizing the future. It completes a "U" shape in front of the student, with the mind filling in the third side of the "U". That side is unseen and unknown because we cannot see the future. It can only be hoped that with hard work and discipline that the next rank (or black belt) will be in that future. The right side symbolizes advancement because the senior lines up to the right of the recipient.
    There were times when Mr. Parker also added this; The "L" symbolized a lie. If you felt the promotion was undeserved, a lie, you could refuse it. Most of us don’t add this as we feel it is our place to make the decision. There are students who would never take a promotion unless you compelled them, therefore the decision is up to the instructor.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links