Thread: How are EPAK classes taught?

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Default How are EPAK classes taught?

How are EPAK classes taught? From what I understand, there are sets of techniques that are associated with each belt level.

My school plays outside the lines. So...my question is...with different people in the school, at different belt levels, how are the techniques taught? Are each belt levels taught individually?

The reason why I ask is that in my school, the entire class largely trains on the same technique together. I don't want to get in to a debate over whether this is the right thing to do or not...but I am honestly curious as to how other schools are organized.

Thanks!!

Carol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: How are EPAK classes taught?

In my school we everyone bows in, does the warm up and then breaks off into the various belt groups. There they are taught a new segment of their form or set, or taught a new technique. Then they can practice what they were taught while I move on to the next group.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

We try and group by level also and each belt level has a specific list of techniques to be learned before progressing.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

My class has all yellow belts with one white belt. What I've been doing when I had half and half was to teach one yellow technique and one orange. The students are only responsible for their belt material, but they do get exposed to the next level.

When we had mixed groups, a lot of times the higher belts had to just hit up our instructor for a few minutes on the side for new material or, if there were several of the same rank, we might get one new technique. It just depends on who shows up.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Generally, we work with similar belt levels at our school. If there are no students at my level, I work with either higher or lower belt levels.

When working with a lower belt, generally, we work both sides of their techniques. I will execute the prescribed attack and responses while they run the technique. Then they will execute the prescribed attack and responses while I run the technique. Both sides of the technique, the self-defense and the attack, are reviewed by all training partners.

Occassionally, I will have the lower belt work with my on my techniques. They are exposed to the prescribed attack and my self-defense moves, and then I will work through the technique as they act as the 'Dummy'. The lower belt does not run the self-defense side of the higher belt level technique.

Thanks

We usually warm up everybody together and than from there we break them into belt levels. White through purple. Blue to 3rd degree Brown and than the 2nd brown and up. After they are broken up they work on their form first for about 20 min, than their technique of the week for about 20 min, and than spar for about 20 min. The black belts usually do whatever they want LOL.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

We have techniques one night, forms/sets, another, sparring yet another class etc. White belts stay with an instructor and the other's break off to work their material together with an instructor available for each grouping.
    We do all ranks together also, such as Tec lines -with each student doing their own belt material. If the lower rank doesn't know the attack, the upper rank supplies the information needed to defend. It works nicely. We also do group Forms and sets provided the student 'knows them' and everyone works together on them.

just skimming the surface

~Tess
    "Corrupt, but Ruthless."

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Thank you all so much for your input!

That makes much more sense to me now, and really helps me to understand what many of you are talking about when you describe your classes.

Carol

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links