Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bob White

Thread: Seminars

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Seminars

I started teaching full time in 1968 for the Ed Parker's school in Garden Grove, Ca. I opened my own school in 1972 and have been a full time teacher since. After Mr. Parker died I was asked to start teaching a various events around the world. Going to these seminars and sharing my knowledge also has given me the opportunity to teach along side of and listen to some of the finest teachers of kenpo in the world. I have learned so much by watching these great teachers present their lessons. My questions are, do many of the people on this forum attend seminars? Does your instructor encourage you or discourage you to attend? If you do attend what are some of the more impactful lessons learned? What do you think is a reasonable financial investment for a days worth of education?
    I hope there will be some good responses.
    Respectfully,
    Bob White

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 643 Posts

Default Re: Seminars

I trained for more than a decade at a school before I attended a seminar outside my lineage. Going to extra-lineage seminars was neither promoted or discouraged at our school.

I do think students should be fully immersed in their school's curriculum before wandering too far afield. Of course, it is often difficult to tell how close a particular lineage is to another.

The seminars from which I have taken information and incorporated it in my training are few and between. Kicks are not my strong suit, or even my cheap suit, but working kicks across the floor in your seminar in NY is one that was a take away. Another example is a slight change in a move of a technique from the method which I originally learned increases the effectiveness of the technique. Always, that is what I am seeking: how to make this execution more effective.

I believe the market will bear a $50.00 to 60.00 cost for a two to four hour seminar. One instructor I know breaks the day into three seminars. I think it is $50.00 per class. In that instance ... I think it is too much to pay for the Kenpo. I have paid it for the community; to meet the other practitioners and to support the instructor.

This summer, it appears several seniors are advocating "camps"; two to two and a half day, destination events. Financially, these make no sense for the kenpo. My trip to to the Las Vegas Camp will end up costing me $1200.00 to $1500.00 (camp, hotel, flight, food). Some will pay more, some will pay less. But, this type of coin is not about the Kenpo, but the community. To meet, work and play with Johansson, Bychkov, Halsey, Zaninovich, Epperson, and others, is the justification for travel.

Mr. Sepulveda's camp in New York is a reasonable investment when considering travel from New Hampshire. Five or Six instructors for $500.00 to $600.00 for the weekend, every other (or every third) year isn't bad. This past year, I had a bad experience, and decided to leave that camp early. Had I ponied up any more cash than that ... it could have created a significant resentment. And that wouldn't be good for me, or of the instructors.

Shorter answer to your inquiry, Mr. White ; Be sure the day is filled with effective kenpo, and effective instructors. Total costs of a couple of hundred dollars in direct and indirect spending isn't unreasonable. At least to me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

Bob White (01-28-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Thanks. I believe you have a great trip ahead of you to Las Vegas with those quality instructors. I also agree about the reward justifying the expense of the trip. Thanks again for your reply.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hi Mr. White,

My training began under a person that was claiming to teach American kenpo but later on I found out he was not, He was definitely discouraged any of us to go to anyone's seminars. Lucky for me I left and found a great teacher in American kenpo, Dave staples out of Worcester MA, who encourages me and everyone in his class to go out and train and gain knowledge in the art.

Since I started training under Mr. Staples I have jumped at the chance to get to every seminar that I can afford to do and that is close enough for me to get to :-). My first one was with Larry Tatum going over using his "reverberation" and "Flash points" as he calls it using the whole body much like a fajing in tai chi. then Lee wedlake going over grafting one tech. into the other and refining forms. Doreen Direnzo with freestyle fighting, and Gilbert Velez working on tech and anchoring. I look forward to someday be able to do a seminar with you one day.

The best is that everyone that I have had the opportunity to take a seminar with, each one has there own unique area of expertise.

these experiences have opened my eyes, and definitely increased my knowledge and skill in Kenpo.

Shawn

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swhitney222 For This Useful Post:

Bob White (01-30-2017),jdinca (01-30-2017),Star Dragon (01-30-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I am happy you have had a chance to learn from these great teachers. It sounds like you are the right track and I wish you much success in your training. I believe just going to these seminars gives us an opportunity to plug into the passion and enthusiasm of the people attending as well as the great message from the teachers. Enthusiasm is contagious.
    Respectfully,
    Bob White
    swhitney222 and Raysonawav like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob White For This Useful Post:

swhitney222 (01-30-2017)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links