Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Kenpo Slap

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default The Kenpo Slap

Way is it that we slap in the application of the technics but not when doing forms?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kenpostudent4life For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (09-06-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Default Re: The Kenpo Slap

Quote Originally Posted by kenpostudent4life View Post
    Way is it that we slap in the application of the technics but not when doing forms?
    The slap is about keeping your guard up, and consistently striking from the same spots. The forms are trying to look Japanese... I really think so.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,255 Posts

Probably because most don't really know why they are slapping in the first place.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,866 Times in 5,547 Posts

Because "we" don't know what we're doing.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (09-19-2016)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

When you use the collective pronoun "we," you make an assumption that everyone does and understands what you do. That is not the case. I personally teach the B.A.M. or "slap" as you call it, and do in fact teach it as a part of forms training. All my students "Pak Sao" as a regular part of their training, learning "how," "when," and "why" for all physical movements. Never assume all kenpo is the same. It goes back to what I was just saying. People want to turn Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate into a "everyone learns and does the same thing" style. It is not, nor has it ever been.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

sumdumguy (10-09-2019)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Mr. Tatum recently put this information about slapping on his Facebook page.

What do you think? Any information to add?

Points on the body when slapped focus the brain on your sole purpose within a fight by self redirecting thoughts of fear or indecision (flight or fight) syndrome.

The slaps can also be traced back to the Hawaiian Polynesians fighting arts and still used today within the famous :Haka:

Also there is a sword fighting Art in India that when doing their movements they will slap the inside of their thighs while the sword is in action meant to control their fear in battle.

Much like a boxer before going into the ring will have his trainer slap his face to bring out the rage and focus.

We as kenpoist use this slapping method abundantly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 601 Posts

With due respect to Mr. Tatum... what is his physiological basis for these statements? Without those, this sounds like pure opinion.

Respects,

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    sumdumguy likes this.
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (10-09-2019),flying crane (10-08-2019),KirkS (10-08-2019),sumdumguy (10-08-2019)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    With due respect to Mr. Tatum... what is his physiological basis for these statements? Without those, this sounds like pure opinion.

Respects,

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Or put another way, he simply doesn't understand either.

www.MSUACF.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (10-09-2019),sumdumguy (10-09-2019)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crouching Tiger View Post

Points on the body when slapped focus the brain on your sole purpose within a fight by self redirecting thoughts of fear or indecision (flight or fight) syndrome.

The slaps can also be traced back to the Hawaiian Polynesians fighting arts and still used today within the famous :Haka:

Also there is a sword fighting Art in India that when doing their movements they will slap the inside of their thighs while the sword is in action meant to control their fear in battle.

Much like a boxer before going into the ring will have his trainer slap his face to bring out the rage and focus.

Sounds like PNF to me, but then I am not a mad scientist... over run by the estrogen mafia.... no Wait.. yeah no... I bet Doc's gonna be all over this and maybe even Dave in da house... but from what I have seen and experienced, this has a small amount of validity. Funny that only after going to 11th degree he would finally recognize these things. just say'n. truly a sign the we can always learn something huh... LOL I look forward to Doc's post on this one.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sumdumguy For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (10-09-2019)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    Sounds like PNF to me, but then I am not a mad scientist... over run by the estrogen mafia.... no Wait.. yeah no... I bet Doc's gonna be all over this and maybe even Dave in da house... but from what I have seen and experienced, this has a small amount of validity. Funny that only after going to 11th degree he would finally recognize these things. just say'n. truly a sign the we can always learn something huh... LOL I look forward to Doc's post on this one.
    You may not be "mad" but you're definitely a scientist, and you're absolutely correct PNF is at the heart of the application for the "slap" but its applications and effects, (good and bad) are far reaching and understood by very few. Give me a minute sir, (I've got a lot on my plate at the moment) and we can get a little deeper into it. Not that YOU don't already do it quite effectively. I've seen some of your applications and they're on point and quite devastating and that puts you into a very elite group of "Kenpo" practitioners who has taken the time and done the research that Mr. Parker wanted everyone to do. It's the "why" that most miss, and when you know why, then it opens up other applications. Most either did what was in the manual, (cliff note kenpo) or a few simply chose to "mimic" Mr. Parker with zero understanding of what he was doing or why.
    sumdumguy likes this.

www.MSUACF.com

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (10-09-2019),KirkS (10-10-2019),sumdumguy (10-09-2019)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crouching Tiger View Post

So slapping or yourself or getting slapped before or during a fight will make you fight better, or is it just a ritual or custom to get your adrenal glands pumping? Sorry but the explanation given is dumb and without merit outside of the ritualistic neanderthal custom. Some chose to mimic Mr. Parker's movements without an understanding of their purpose, and then seek to find an explanation after the fact. However, in all fairness Ed Parker did not teach it to most either so I guess it's not their fault.
    sumdumguy likes this.

www.MSUACF.com

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (10-09-2019),KirkS (10-09-2019),sumdumguy (10-09-2019)

Thanks

The "slap" is one of those things that I have seen in many other arts. In looking at Kuntao Silat, there are many moves that "slap" into yourself. In looking at Jow Gar Kung Fu, there are many stance changes that you purposely pick up the foot and replant it before the change instead of just rotating in place. What Doc shares and teaches is in MANY arts that trace back to the Chinese arts. Many people in the kenpo world don't want to admit that what Doc does has a purpose besides the "on the surface" explanations many people give. But, I have never come across any other teachers that explain the detailed reasons behind it other than, just do this or mimicking the slap because it looks neat.

I am by no means an expert in the "kenpo slap", but any time you move or make contact with your own body you are changing your structure and how muscles respond to the stimulus. Hit it correctly and you are aiding in what you are trying to accomplish, do it wrong or the wrong timing and you are hindering what you are doing.

For example, a simple "test" I would have my students do. Do a high elbow cover like a boxer defending against a hook punch, and hold it in place and have someone push your elbow in. It is fairly easy to do. Now do it again, but lightly touch the back of your head/neck with your fingertips and try to push the elbow in. It is much much harder to move it. Just a simple little thing adds so much more to your technique. As my instructor used to call it, "adding zeroes". Little tiny "nothings" to a technique that give exponential results (1, 10, 100, 1000 etc.).
    sumdumguy likes this.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (10-27-2019),Doc (10-12-2019),Dr. Dave in da house (10-09-2019),KirkS (10-10-2019),sumdumguy (10-09-2019)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    The "slap" is one of those things that I have seen in many other arts. In looking at Kuntao Silat, there are many moves that "slap" into yourself. In looking at Jow Gar Kung Fu, there are many stance changes that you purposely pick up the foot and replant it before the change instead of just rotating in place. What Doc shares and teaches is in MANY arts that trace back to the Chinese arts. Many people in the kenpo world don't want to admit that what Doc does has a purpose besides the "on the surface" explanations many people give. But, I have never come across any other teachers that explain the detailed reasons behind it other than, just do this or mimicking the slap because it looks neat.

I am by no means an expert in the "kenpo slap", but any time you move or make contact with your own body you are changing your structure and how muscles respond to the stimulus. Hit it correctly and you are aiding in what you are trying to accomplish, do it wrong or the wrong timing and you are hindering what you are doing.

For example, a simple "test" I would have my students do. Do a high elbow cover like a boxer defending against a hook punch, and hold it in place and have someone push your elbow in. It is fairly easy to do. Now do it again, but lightly touch the back of your head/neck with your fingertips and try to push the elbow in. It is much much harder to move it. Just a simple little thing adds so much more to your technique. As my instructor used to call it, "adding zeroes". Little tiny "nothings" to a technique that give exponential results (1, 10, 100, 1000 etc.).
    I still hate you.

www.MSUACF.com

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (10-09-2019),punisher73 (10-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I still hate you.
    Sorry, I'll go back to toeing the party line...

What I meant to say earlier is that the kenpo slap is done to create a loud noise to distract your opponent from your awesome speed or the attacker sees that you are willing to hit yourself, so there is nothing he can do to hurt you.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KirkS (10-10-2019)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    Sorry, I'll go back to toeing the party line...

What I meant to say earlier is that the kenpo slap is done to create a loud noise to distract your opponent from your awesome speed or the attacker sees that you are willing to hit yourself, so there is nothing he can do to hurt you.
    Now that's Kenpo Karate. In all seriousness, it's always a pleasure to read your posts and your grasp of information especially when often I don't have to say anything because you already have.

www.MSUACF.com

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (10-09-2019),KirkS (10-10-2019),punisher73 (10-10-2019)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I agree that the slaps have got to do with muscular reaction. More specifically with so-called opening and closing of the body.

This ties in with fairly sophisticated principles of power generation. As Mr. Tatum already demonstrated a good understanding of those on some occasions, I am a bit surprised about his explanation for the slaps as quoted above.

Thanks

Way is it that we slap in the application of the technicians but not when doing forms?
    Not all of us to Slap... personally the only time I use that motion is when I want to redirect a strike and not fight my own musculature to achieve that redirection. I don't think of it as a slap as much as a ricochet...

Bunbun
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 629 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post
    Not all of us to Slap... personally the only time I use that motion is when I want to redirect a strike and not fight my own musculature to achieve that redirection. I don't think of it as a slap as much as a ricochet...

Bunbun
    as in ricochet rabbit???
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KirkS For This Useful Post:

MrBunny (10-11-2019),Star Dragon (10-11-2019)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post

Bunbun
    Mr. Parker described that action as a "Rebound."

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Mr. Parker described that action as a "Rebound."
    Well he clearly had no idea what he was talking about...

Pffff Rebound...... Bah... clearly it's a ricochet!! What madness would ever use a rebound for something like that?!?

My language is the only true language!!!!!!!

Totalitarian Bunny of truth!!!!!!

*Side note... this was actually difficult to write cause, aside from the sarcasm, I know there are people out there who actually think this way... like... seriously....
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

Doc (10-11-2019),KirkS (10-11-2019),Star Dragon (10-11-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links