Thread: Can Kenpo Practitioners Benefit or Improve from Makiwara Training?

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Can Kenpo Practitioners Benefit or Improve from Makiwara Training?

Just like the title says, looking for opinions and perspectives. I've heard people claim that heavybag training is the best (I thoroughly enjoy it), I've heard others say that it doesn't provide the proper feedback for full technical improvement. So.....
    "But it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward... How much you can take and keep moving forward - that's how winning is done!"

Jay "Dirty Irish" Creel
    Southside Combat Club - Mobile, Alabama
    http://www.facebook.com/SouthsideCombatClub

Thanks
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,255 Posts

Default Re: Can Kenpo Practitioners Benefit or Improve from Makiwara Training?

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyIrish View Post
    Just like the title says, looking for opinions and perspectives. I've heard people claim that heavybag training is the best (I thoroughly enjoy it), I've heard others say that it doesn't provide the proper feedback for full technical improvement. So.....
    When properly done, yes it is beneficial. The biggest issue I see with it are those who use a makiwara that has almost no spring to it and they are attempting to get "karate knuckles". Too stiff and you can cause damage to the hands which is the antithesis of "self-defense". Part of the problem is that okinawan karate, was very in line with the chinese martial arts, they used herbs etc. after using the makiwara to fix any damage and help it heal stronger. It was also used sparingly as a corrective measure and training tool. When it was brought over to Japan, the japanese threw out the rest of the "hojo undo" (conditioning exercises) that were a part of the overall training program in okinawa and just kept, for the most part, the makiwara. The japanese used it as kind of a "macho" thing and would just keep pounding it until they bloodied up their knuckles and kind of used it to haze new people. This was the same idea and attitude that was passed on to American GI's when they studied over in Japan.

Properly, it will help your alignment to make sure that you have no "energy leaks" and that all of the joints are aligned and it will condition the wrist to support a strong punch.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

DirtyIrish (06-27-2016),nelson (06-27-2016)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    Properly, it will help your alignment to make sure that you have no "energy leaks" and that all of the joints are aligned and it will condition the wrist to support a strong punch.
    That is my reason for wanting to learn more and possibly implement it into my daily training - I love the heavy bag, but suspect that it doesn't always give me proper feedback on the quality of my punch.
    "But it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward... How much you can take and keep moving forward - that's how winning is done!"

Jay "Dirty Irish" Creel
    Southside Combat Club - Mobile, Alabama
    http://www.facebook.com/SouthsideCombatClub

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I recommend that you train with different kinds of equipment, including the makiwara. They all have their strengths and their weaknesses.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

nelson (06-28-2016)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links