Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Yellow/Orange Belt Attacks (Catalysts)

Thanks

Default Re: Yellow/Orange Belt Attacks (Catalysts)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Thank you sir. And just how long have I spoke about "kenpo intellectuals" who know nothing about a street fight, "educating" us unwashed uneducated masses about "realism" in techniques. Hell, they're still defending against step through punches, that don't exist - on the street.
    I think I have been attacked by a step through punch on the street before it just had a broken bottle at the end of it.
    ~Sami Ibrahim

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenposoldier01 For This Useful Post:

Doc (07-26-2014),KenpoGhost (07-27-2014)

Mac
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Bob lulls you in with a false sense of security and than......bam.
    I haven't used one of these in awhile but that made me laugh.
    Thank you Doc.
    Last edited by Mac; 07-26-2014 at 12:03 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Doc (07-26-2014)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoGhost View Post
    Sadly, his rank is actually higher than mine. Though I've held my current rank for about 3/4 of my total time in the art; I'm only recently starting to feel "adequate" to the rank, as it were. But this made me cringe.
    Yeah, like we needed a multi-line quote from Dictionary.com to understand the word "catalyst," and then the definition doesn't even fit the video. Mr. Parker's use of terminology and an attempt at an intellectual approach to the arts has given rise to a bunch of people, (primarily in kenpo circles), who see themselves as "intellectuals" who think they somehow have access to superior information. Sharing with others is a good way to find out maybe you're not as sharp as you think you are.

For me Psychology of Confrontation sets up the attack side of any scenario, and that leads to the proper physicality, thus forcing one to deal with the realities of what I call, "Surviving The initial Assault." For many, this is where they should stay until they can actually satisfy that realistic mandate. Of course that requires that one actually have knowledge of "street realism" and the mindset of the urban/street predator to create realistic scenarios to begin with. Or .... do what they do in the Martial Fantasy League (M.F.L.), just read the manuals and think you got it.

This type of harsh criticism is necessary to combat this malaise of incompetent stripe wearing black belts who continue to propagate really bad information on the internet and in the schools. I could care less if a guy wants to strap on a belt and declare himself "knowledgeable," but I've personally seen so much real violence and the pain and suffering it causes, that it tends to ramp of my sense of personal responsibility to say something. Maybe, one person won't get hurt because of what's said. Maybe, one of these horrible people who are teachers in their own mind will reconsider what they are doing to essentially stroke their own ego, more than "help" others. It's one thing for a guy to simply be "wrong," but a whole nother dance to continue doing it when you should know better. Most of these guys won't know realism until it bites them in the ass ... then its too late.

Sorry, but it just bugs the crap out of me.
    Mikael151 likes this.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

ATACX GYM (08-14-2014),Dgm1327 (07-27-2014),DirtyIrish (07-26-2014),KenpoGhost (07-27-2014),Kenposoldier01 (07-27-2014),Mac (07-28-2014),MarkC (07-26-2014)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I think Ras' videos are more realistic than this one.
    EddieCyrax and KenpoChanger like this.
    "But it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward... How much you can take and keep moving forward - that's how winning is done!"

Jay "Dirty Irish" Creel
    Southside Combat Club - Mobile, Alabama
    http://www.facebook.com/SouthsideCombatClub

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DirtyIrish For This Useful Post:

ATACX GYM (08-14-2014),Kenposoldier01 (07-26-2014),MarkC (07-26-2014)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JayWilson View Post
    I think Ras' videos are more realistic than this one.
    Did you have to go there?
    Mikael151 and EddieCyrax like this.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

DirtyIrish (07-26-2014),Kenposoldier01 (07-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

I showed this and another video to my girlfriend, and explained to her that there is a whole world of big burly guys that decided they were good enough for a couple red bricks on their belt, and I think this proves that there is an issue. I like this guy, but I guess he is getting what is coming to him. That video was not a good advertisement. I think either the belt, or the Bob has to go.
    Mikael151 likes this.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    I showed this and another video to my girlfriend, and explained to her that there is a whole world of big burly guys that decided they were good enough for a couple red bricks on their belt, and I think this proves that there is an issue. I like this guy, but I guess he is getting what is coming to him. That video was not a good advertisement. I think either the belt, or the Bob has to go.
    Probably both. I have no reservations suggesting the guy probably means well, but there have been enough comments over the years about the "intellectual" stuff he puts out that he should have figured it out by now. This leads me to believe his ego won't allow him to be honest with himself. I don't know which is worse; the incompetent who knows it, or the guy who's incompetent and won't admit it to himself. But this clearly falls at the feet of his instructor who puts the same crap out there. He needs another teacher.
    KenpoChanger likes this.

www.MSUACF.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (07-27-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Probably both. I have no reservations suggesting the guy probably means well, but there have been enough comments over the years about the "intellectual" stuff he puts out that he should have figured it out by now. This leads me to believe his ego won't allow him to be honest with himself. I don't know which is worse; the incompetent who knows it, or the guy who's incompetent and won't admit it to himself. But this clearly falls at the feet of his instructor who puts the same crap out there. He needs another teacher.
    Who is his teacher?
    ~Sami Ibrahim

Thanks

Nevermind looked it up lol
    ~Sami Ibrahim

Thanks

seriously.. unless you are showing "educated" variations of the attacks (ie. stuff you may see from a boxer or in MMA) the attacks i would think would largely be done with... i dunno, aggression? someone just "getting the fist to the target' in some sort of arc or line that doesn't try and imitate a karate form and slowly. his attacks looked exactly like the kind of attacks it seems he's posting against. Bob or not. maybe he didn't have someone to train with that day. i dunno
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I agree. Just REALLY trying to be positive. Does anyone on here know of a similar video with more realistic attacks they could link on here? Then we could compare the two, and break each down. I think that may be more useful than just pointing and laughing at this video. (But pointing and laughing is aloud )

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenatoi For This Useful Post:

Christopher Stewart (07-28-2014),Kenposoldier01 (07-27-2014)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Or if you don't know of one, perhaps you would be willing to make one? For educational purposes, of course.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Allowed. .. I guess it could be aloud as well. Lol
    Mikael151 likes this.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lenatoi For This Useful Post:

KenpoChanger (07-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lenatoi View Post
    Or if you don't know of one, perhaps you would be willing to make one? For educational purposes, of course.
    I almost came at it from that angle. Perhaps this is what is expected of his yellow belts, and there are videos with attacks at a higher level in the wings. I need more info, before I openly guffaw.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    I almost came at it from that angle. Perhaps this is what is expected of his yellow belts, and there are videos with attacks at a higher level in the wings. I need more info, before I openly guffaw.
    I could understand that. Unfortunately, the lineage history suggests otherwise. But then, the future will tell us everything we need to know won't it.

www.MSUACF.com

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KenpoChanger (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

I would be good with having Clark back me in a fight, any day. His initial training was under a dude I don't like at all. But what Clark has done that most won't, is to look beyond the 'gospel' of his initial training, and seek out information from other guys. He started under a schmuck, but has since sought out input from guys like Clyde O'Briant and Pat Salantri. Moreover, he's probably one of the few guys who actually STUDIES the materiel put out there by Mr. Parker, as opposed to merely reading it.

He's tested up through the ranks, twice. Once before a board of just-studio guys, and again in front of a panel of some pretty up-there folks, including Olohe Kaihewalu, Mssr's Planas & Trejo, etc. Mostly, though, I like Clark because he will put his money where his mouth is. Upon reading this warm reception, he extended the offer to would-be critics to introduce themselves face-to-face at the upcoming IKC this weekend, and take him for a test drive, should they feel so inclined.

As a guy who gets himself in LOTS of trouble for speaking his mind where he's best off keeping his mouth shut, I think -- ultimately -- the reason I like Clark is because he will speak his mind, to anyone, any time. It has gotten him ex-communicated from many kenpo circles, but that hasn't changed his willingness to do so.

I don't like the "new management" of the IKC's all that much, or the ongoing feud between them and the Parker family. It has been a lot of years since Mrs. Parker tried running the thing with the sisters, but when they were, Clark was around trying to help. And the one I have gone to since '91, there was an insufficient amount of trophies to meet the demand. Clark could have been off doing his own thing, but true to form, he was in the back, in service to the event, assembling trophies from busted parts, so the promoters would have something to give. And he had his family back there with him, helping. The rest of the cool kenpo kids were all milling around in the lobby... busy being seen.

I rely more on the character of the man, and what I know of him personally, than on a video. I hit a bad spot with my health, and had to close shop in Dana Point. Felt too lousy to be moving office furniture and heavy treatment tables. Guess who was on the horn, ready to come out and help? And if I lit the watch fire of Amon Din, guess who would be among the first to show and help?

Do I like the video? Nope. But I've put so much crap out there myself, I ain't got the right.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

ATACX GYM (08-14-2014),Christopher Stewart (07-28-2014),DavidCC (07-30-2014),Kenposoldier01 (07-28-2014),Mac (07-28-2014)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    I would be good with having Clark back me in a fight, any day. His initial training was under a dude I don't like at all. But what Clark has done that most won't, is to look beyond the 'gospel' of his initial training, and seek out information from other guys. He started under a schmuck, but has since sought out input from guys like Clyde O'Briant and Pat Salantri. Moreover, he's probably one of the few guys who actually STUDIES the materiel put out there by Mr. Parker, as opposed to merely reading it.

He's tested up through the ranks, twice. Once before a board of just-studio guys, and again in front of a panel of some pretty up-there folks, including Olohe Kaihewalu, Mssr's Planas & Trejo, etc. Mostly, though, I like Clark because he will put his money where his mouth is. Upon reading this warm reception, he extended the offer to would-be critics to introduce themselves face-to-face at the upcoming IKC this weekend, and take him for a test drive, should they feel so inclined.

As a guy who gets himself in LOTS of trouble for speaking his mind where he's best off keeping his mouth shut, I think -- ultimately -- the reason I like Clark is because he will speak his mind, to anyone, any time. It has gotten him ex-communicated from many kenpo circles, but that hasn't changed his willingness to do so.

I don't like the "new management" of the IKC's all that much, or the ongoing feud between them and the Parker family. It has been a lot of years since Mrs. Parker tried running the thing with the sisters, but when they were, Clark was around trying to help. And the one I have gone to since '91, there was an insufficient amount of trophies to meet the demand. Clark could have been off doing his own thing, but true to form, he was in the back, in service to the event, assembling trophies from busted parts, so the promoters would have something to give. And he had his family back there with him, helping. The rest of the cool kenpo kids were all milling around in the lobby... busy being seen.

I rely more on the character of the man, and what I know of him personally, than on a video. I hit a bad spot with my health, and had to close shop in Dana Point. Felt too lousy to be moving office furniture and heavy treatment tables. Guess who was on the horn, ready to come out and help? And if I lit the watch fire of Amon Din, guess who would be among the first to show and help?

Do I like the video? Nope. But I've put so much crap out there myself, I ain't got the right.
    That's goes along way, and its also why I allowed the good intentions. But, as much as he may be personally capable, I've seen little that indicates he should be teaching. But then I know lots of good fighters who aren't black belts who are good people, but the integrity of certain aspects of my teachers legacy and lineage I take very personally. Perhaps the Peter Principle is alive and well - still. I'm glad he's a good guy. I've worked with cops who are really great high character people that should be anything but cops. They just don't pack the gear.
    Last edited by Doc; 07-28-2014 at 12:50 AM.

www.MSUACF.com

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (07-28-2014),KenpoGhost (07-28-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post

I didn't know much about Clark Cole's character until you posted that (thanks) but I never had a problem with him, he was one of those guys who was willing to share his ideas and perspective on Kenpo with the forum despite knowing he was going to take a lot of flak and I respect that. If I remember right he was the guy always joking about resistance being futile and being assimilated/becoming a borg. I certainly wouldn't mind if he posted more on Kenpotalk.
    ~Sami Ibrahim

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenposoldier01 For This Useful Post:

Christopher Stewart (07-28-2014)

Christopher Stewart is offline Always Learning!
    Thanks

Re-posted from Mr. Cole's facebook page:

Okay, so I put a video on you tube, for my students to see how I want them to practice not just their techniques, but, the attacks that will make sure their techniques will not be worthless to them.

This is the video,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXBmALWs3Mk

Chris puts it up on Kenpotalk and the fun begins and this is what the nest of trolls have to say,

http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/15-parkers-kenpo-epak-general/15382-yellow-orange-belt-attacks-catalysts.html

I think it is important to remember that being an internet troll/warrior is all fine a dandy. Ron Chapel seems to think that I should give back my black belt and cease all further teaching. Maybe he would like it if I apologized to all of the people I have taught in the last 23 years, I dunno.

But I will press on. Mongo like candy...

I can't tell you how many times the KT trolls have motivated me to do what I do even after reading their expert opinions. Maybe some of those learned trolls will walk up to me (my face is prominent, if theirs is not) and tell me to my face how disappointed they are that I wear a black belt and the IKKA crest. I will be at the IKC's Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. My phone number is 760-468-7892, just in case they need to find me, or continue the conversation to my face. I won't be participating in the Friday Night Line, so if someone has an issue, that's as good as any place...

There will be a sparring seminar at the 2014 Ohana in Downey. Free to kids under 16. If you need some special attention after that, call me. My students could use a lesson on restraint and what a mercy point in a technique looks like.

Clark
    WE ARE BORG.....................THAT'S RIGHT
    Chris Stewart
    Head Instructor - Trinity Karate for Christ
    Board Member - Karate for Christ International
    Director - Kenpo Ohana Seminar
    Director - Christian Kenpo Fellowship

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher Stewart For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

I think the part that got me about the vid was the prelude. With the "ain't pretty" part, I got ready to see Grasp of Death uke's being slung around the room, up the walls, and down the halls by their necks. Not Bob in a headlock. It felt like getting ready to see Star Wars on the big screen, breaking out the popcorn, and someone says, "ready?". And takes out their iphone to watch it on.

I won't be at the IKC for Clark to beat up. Got a bad back, and going in for some stuff on Tuesday... plus, there's all that other stuff. Not about Clark, but the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stewart View Post
    Re-posted from Mr. Cole's facebook page:

Okay, so I put a video on you tube, for my students to see how I want them to practice not just their techniques, but, the attacks that will make sure their techniques will not be worthless to them.

This is the video,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXBmALWs3Mk

Chris puts it up on Kenpotalk and the fun begins and this is what the nest of trolls have to say,

http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/15-parkers-kenpo-epak-general/15382-yellow-orange-belt-attacks-catalysts.html

I think it is important to remember that being an internet troll/warrior is all fine a dandy. Ron Chapel seems to think that I should give back my black belt and cease all further teaching. Maybe he would like it if I apologized to all of the people I have taught in the last 23 years, I dunno.

But I will press on. Mongo like candy...

I can't tell you how many times the KT trolls have motivated me to do what I do even after reading their expert opinions. Maybe some of those learned trolls will walk up to me (my face is prominent, if theirs is not) and tell me to my face how disappointed they are that I wear a black belt and the IKKA crest. I will be at the IKC's Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. My phone number is 760-468-7892, just in case they need to find me, or continue the conversation to my face. I won't be participating in the Friday Night Line, so if someone has an issue, that's as good as any place...

There will be a sparring seminar at the 2014 Ohana in Downey. Free to kids under 16. If you need some special attention after that, call me. My students could use a lesson on restraint and what a mercy point in a technique looks like.

Clark
    WE ARE BORG.....................THAT'S RIGHT
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links