Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions re: SL-3 drills

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

Default Questions re: SL-3 drills

Sir, I have a couple of questions regarding these video clips showing SL-3 drills:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rchapel#p/u

Here, its a little difficult to see exactly (my computer insists on jumping the image), but what is the block(?) being done here when the blocking arm is vertical , and is it making contact on the outside or inside of the attacking arm? It looks like there may be a parry with the other hand first, but I can't tell. Does the arm position serve as an index also, for the next block?
    Would you mind kind of "narrating" the action?

Looks like I can't seem to get the individual links to the actual individual videos to post here, the clips I'm asking about are the one with Mr. Bode and Mr. Viera, labeld "inside punches", and the one with Mr. Bode and Mr. Angell and Mr. Bode again with Mr. Torres. All seem to be blocking in a similar fashion, but again, my picture is very jerky and hard to discern what's actually happening...and of course, I need to know!

(I apologize if I haven't phrased my questions very clearly)
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Default Re: Questions re: SL-3 drills

Look for the video where Doc explains the AOD drill in more detail, that will shed a lot of light on the SL-3 techniques.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Thanks

I've seen that one, but these look somehow different....

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

On the youtube page, right click them and open them on another window or tab to get the address.

Your questions are not clear.

SL-3 101-Yellow Default Techniques are explained in the MSU Course Book 101.

Also, the Outward Vertical Block is the precursor to the Extended Outward Block. so you will see it often.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

MarkC (12-01-2009)

Thanks

Here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tWhG...eature=channel

What is Mr. Bode doing, step by step Please?

Thanks

Could you point me to a page number or section in the 101 course book? I didn't see anything about default techniques, maybe I missed it, or maybe my book is incomplete. I have up to page 106...

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

That's Course 102/Orange-1. Defense against a straight lead right punch and the follow up elliptical left punch.

If the 101s are not down pat, I wouldn't go over these. Note that it is the same left BAM block-right Vertical Outward block as in Yellow 1. Then you push drag back and turn the Vertical outward into an extended outward then GCM palm as in instructed in Yellow 5. Then right palm to the face as in Yellow 5.

In essence, it is combining Yellow 1 and 5. Yet there are timing and execution details that are important to go over.

If your Course Book 101 has 16 default techniques, that is the version before this one. Those techniques are now Brown Belt, with certain modifications.

Many times, these techniques, although they look easy, you think you're doing them right, and you're not. And small timing changes can cause unoptimal performance, or be better suited for another case of the attack. With instruction and immediate feedback, you can get it right fast.

So I would be careful about trying these without getting good performance in the 101 techs. Focus on them, and afterward maybe you can explore the 102s. If you got got training on the 101s already (I don't know if you do), then the information I gave you should be enough to get you started.

Hope that helps.

Juan Mercado-Robles

Thanks

Hmmm. my coursebook says S-1010 v-10.9.9.5.It has sections on basic blocks, 16 self defense techniques,Stance Set 1, Blocking Set 1, Kick Set 1, Salute Set, and Index Set 101.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    That's Course 102/Orange-1. Defense against a straight lead right punch and the follow up elliptical left punch.

If the 101s are not down pat, I wouldn't go over these. Note that it is the same left BAM block-right Vertical Outward block as in Yellow 1. Then you push drag back and turn the Vertical outward into an extended outward then GCM palm as in instructed in Yellow 5. Then right palm to the face as in Yellow 5.

In essence, it is combining Yellow 1 and 5. Yet there are timing and execution details that are important to go over.

If your Course Book 101 has 16 default techniques, that is the version before this one. Those techniques are now Brown Belt, with certain modifications.

Many times, these techniques, although they look easy, you think you're doing them right, and you're not. And small timing changes can cause unoptimal performance, or be better suited for another case of the attack. With instruction and immediate feedback, you can get it right fast.

So I would be careful about trying these without getting good performance in the 101 techs. Focus on them, and afterward maybe you can explore the 102s. If you got got training on the 101s already (I don't know if you do), then the information I gave you should be enough to get you started.

Hope that helps.

Juan Mercado-Robles

Good point about the small timing changes. I think that this is a very underestimated and misunderstood factor in technique execution.

Jim

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Ok. You have the earlier version. That one doesn't have the SL-3 material. As I said, that is now the 201-Brown 3 Material. The level of instruction to those techniques is now much higher, since the basics should be down by then, after the 100 series (Yellow though Green).

What I recommend, is that you practice the following:

Stand in a shallow right neutral bow in a posture that doesn't assume aggression (non assuming stance), with hands in front of you as if trying to calm the person down, or just talk.

Your study partner will punch at your head with a lead straight right, street style. That is, with intent, and towards you head. Just as you see in the videos of MSU guys practicing.

You will push drag reverse into a right Neutral Bow, while BAM Blocking the punch. That is, the left hand will travel to block the punch sideways, and finish its trajectory BAMing your right shoulder. Looks like a parry. It is not. It is more.

Turn it into a drill with your training partner. Go all the way to the back of your training hall, then you punch and go to the other end of the training hall.

Do that successfully, and then ask for more. You'll have to talk directly to Doc about the Course Book.

Do that and let me know how it goes! Enjoy!

Juan Mercado-Robles
    SubLevel Kenpo Puerto Rico
    Mercado Martial Academy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

MarkC (12-02-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

P.S. Better yet, where the heck are you so you can set up something to bring MSU training over to where you are?

One weekend is enough to get you started and enough material to practice for a while. Couple that with auxiliary training arrangements and you'll be on your way. Doc and Mr. Angell are very accommodating. I'm also available to help out, as you've seen.

And keep at it. The improvements this training creates are so impressive that you will literally notice a "jump" in performance. I did. Several times.

I have video when I started implementing this stuff, and I unintentionally KO'd my students, with hits to the chest... with 2 muay thai chest protectors on.

I didn't know I was hitting that hard, so I apologized when I watched the video. Of course, they all hit me until I knew it was working, so it balanced out.

That was before meeting Doc face to face. That was just talking on the internets and doing all the drills.

Now I take it REALLY easy, cause I've hurt peoples unintentionally. Still they complain though...

Enjoy!

Thanks

It's not that difficult to arrange to have a SL-4 teacher come to your school. I've done it a few times. It is worth every bit of effort. of course I'm not at an American Kenpo school so maybe it's easier for us?
    -David C

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    P.S. Better yet, where the heck are you so you can set up something to bring MSU training over to where you are?

One weekend is enough to get you started and enough material to practice for a while. Couple that with auxiliary training arrangements and you'll be on your way. Doc and Mr. Angell are very accommodating. I'm also available to help out, as you've seen.

And keep at it. The improvements this training creates are so impressive that you will literally notice a "jump" in performance. I did. Several times.

I have video when I started implementing this stuff, and I unintentionally KO'd my students, with hits to the chest... with 2 muay thai chest protectors on.

I didn't know I was hitting that hard, so I apologized when I watched the video. Of course, they all hit me until I knew it was working, so it balanced out.

That was before meeting Doc face to face. That was just talking on the internets and doing all the drills.

Now I take it REALLY easy, cause I've hurt peoples unintentionally. Still they complain though...

Enjoy!
    I'm way up here near Seattle, a long way from LA, and I'm also constantly tight on cash, so traveling isn't in the cards until maybe later next year, and even then, maybe not until later.
    I was lucky to have a couple of hours with Ryan last summer when he was here visiting, and much like you noted, I saw an immediate improvement in my Inward Block ( after 29 years of doing inward blocks!), as well as my neutral bow, from just a brief exposure. And, as you know, I was at the Ohana, and got a few more goodies from Doc, as well as Dr. Dave, and for that matter, from Mr. Viera. I'll take good stuff from whatever source presents itself.
    I will pick apart the video clips, and try to get my hands on the updated written material as well.
    And I will continue to bug Doc, Ryan, and now yourself and James B. relentlessly. Maybe I can convince my school to pony up for a seminar one day, but as I said, things are tight for a lot of us.
    Meantime, I'll just keep asking questions and trying to understand the answers!

Thanks

how many students could you get to a seminar?

We put them on usually something like 10-5 Sat and Sun, and charge around $80-100, and we had 30 at one event (2005) and 15 or so at the second (2009).

even 15 attendees at 100 each can go a long way towards paying the expenses!

seize the day!
    -David C

-Ed Parker Sr.

- Doc Chapel

Thanks

We usually have 14-20 students, depending on who's currently deployed. Almost all are black belts.
    A lot are young married w/ new babies.
    Of course, we might be able to tempt some people from Sifuroy's school to cross the sound.

Thanks

I'm also interested in the timing, or tempo, or meter, or whatever term is best to use here, for these drills,
    and I'm not familiar with "anchor points". I could make an assumption, but I'd probably be fairly way offbase.
    Lastly--for the moment-- my school here doesn't use cover-outs. I don't need to go into why not, but I do need to understand the ones used here and cover-pams. I see them on the video clips, and get the general idea, but of course, not the details.

Thanks

I should first ask about the BAM block, in regards to it's timing. Should the BAM coincide with a PAM as you move back? Or do you want to PAM as the block makes contact with the attack?

Thanks

to the best of my knowledge, and without trying to go beyond my understanding -

after stepping back, the lead foot PAM happens with the BAM and with the block making contact. Necessarily then the BAM block contacts the attacking arm a fraction of a beat ahead of that. Does that help any?
    -David C

-Ed Parker Sr.

- Doc Chapel

Thanks

I created a youTube playlist of the SL-3 101 Dictionary techniques, in order. Search YT for "kempoDavid". Now I can easily reference any of the 101-1 thru 101-8 techs on my phone
    -David C

-Ed Parker Sr.

- Doc Chapel

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

MarkC (12-04-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Actually, from the consistency point of view, the BAM block should contact when the rear foot hits the ground and the BAM goes with the PAM. Since it's a push drag reverse, they should be quite close together.

Not only that, notice that your body structure is configured in two general modes (there are more, yet these are the relevant ones for this discussion).

A "Dynamic" mode for, well... moving. This has several requirements on the body that relax stability for fluid movement.

Then there is "Static" mode, for resisting loads in desired directions. Your body basically becomes a "statue" for an amount of time. This is good for transfering energy to a target and for maintaining a certain posture against pressure.

There is a spectrum between these modes, for example, when you are lifting heavy weights, you are stable enough not to let the weights fall on your face, yet dynamic enough to lift the weight.

Anyway, when you block, you should be stable for an instant so that the block doesn't collapse under pressure or you get hit. so if you think about it, to be as stable as possible in these 101 scenarios, both your feet should be on the ground at the time of a block.

The times you are on one foot it is a built in GCM and PNF disruption (and more, but that is for later courses). This is in Yellow 4 and 6.

At least that is my understanding.

Hope that helps.

Juan Mercado-Robles
    SubLevel Kenpo Puerto Rico

Waiting to get hollered at for trying to steal Doc's thunder... and getting beat up by a line of SL-K LA blakc belts.

P.S. I enjoy these discussions because I get to exercise the SL-4 understanding while Doc looks and corrects me when I mess up (happens more than I would like...). Best way to learn and get more experience, I guess.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

DavidCC (12-07-2009),JamesB (12-05-2009),MarkC (12-04-2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links