Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Parker's Yellow Belt Written Exam

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,866 Times in 5,547 Posts

Default Mr. Parker's Yellow Belt Written Exam

In the general Section of kenpo there was a discussion on written exams and many expressed how they felt, or how they were taught. Here from my archives is a portion of Mr. Parker's Yellow Belt Manual as he left it to me. Here are the list of requirements for a beginner, and the written test that was suggested for his commercial schools. I have a feeling there might be one or two questions on the written that will require more that casual thought to answer. Take the Yellow Belt Exam, and then let's talk about it.

As always; presented unedited just as he wrote, presented it, and left it to me. Silly man.

PREREQUISITES FOR YELLOW BELT

1. Recite the Kenpo Creed.

2. Follow the Formalities of the Association and your studio.

3. Recite the Sayings for Yellow Belt.

4. Read the History of Mr. Parker.

5. Know the Synonyms used in the names of the techniques.

6. Be able to explain the Clock Principle.

7. Be able to explain the Belt Ranking System Level I, II, III.

8. Be able to explain and give examples of the Terminology.

9. Execute your Basics in a relaxed manner, accurately, and with comprehension of proper execution.

10. Perform Short Form #1 on both sides.

11. Be able to explain some of the things that Short Form #1 contains and teaches.

12. Know your Yellow Belt Freestyle Techniques.

13. Familiarize yourself with the concepts contained in the Yellow Belt Freestyle Techniques.

14. Know your Techniques; that is, know the attack, the proper sequential response, and the proper name associated with it.

15. Practice your techniques with confidence against all types of people: short, tall, heavy, light, meek, aggressive, experienced, skilled, awkward, etc...

16. Develop ways to practice your techniques semi-spontaneously.

17. Be able to answer the questions on the Written Test.

THE WRITTEN TEST FOR YELLOW BELT

SECTION I

In section one of this test you are to read a statement, and if that statement is correct, then circle "T" for true. If any part of that statement is incorrect, then circle "F" for false.

T F 1. Mr. Parker was born and raised in Hawaii.

T F 2. "Heel-Knee Line" aids in determining the proper width of a Neutral Bow and Arrow Stance.

T F 3. Mr. Parker went to Brigham Young University until his junior year and then quit to do karate as a living.

T F 4. In the early stages of your learning, it is a good idea to defend with your more coordinated hand to the front.

T F 5. When blocking on the inside of your opponent's arm, do so below the elbow, never above it.

T F 6. In the Yellow Belt Freestyle technique "B2a" the "2" indicates a push-drag shuffle, and the "a" represents a right uppercut punch.

T F 7. There are 3 basic methods of shuffling.

T F 8. Mr. Parker began studying Kenpo when he was 16.

T F 9. "Captured Twigs" is against a bear hug from the rear with the arms free.

END OF SECTION I

SECTION II

In this section, a sentence or question will be presented. You are to choose the most correct and the most complete answer from the four possible answers given. Write the corresponding letter in the space provided.

_____ 1. Mr. Parker studied __________ before learning Kenpo.

a. Tae Kwon Do and Kick Boxing
    b. just Tae Kwon Do
    c. Judo and Boxing
    d. nothing

_____ 2. Which of the following is not one of the three types of switching.

a. Moving your back leg to the front, then moving your front leg to the back.
    b. Stepping through.
    c. Moving your front leg to the back, then moving your back leg to the front.
    d. Jumping in-place.

_____ 3. Mr. Parker is known as the __________.

a. "The Father of Kenpo"
    b. "The Father of Karate"
    c. "The Father of the Martial Arts"
    d. "The Father of American Karate"

_____ 4. "Delayed Sword" is not typically used against a _________.

a. grab
    b. punch
    c. hug
    d. push

_____ 5. Which of the following is not a foot maneuver taught in the Yellow Belt Freestyle techniques ?

a. rear crossover
    b. front crossover, step out
    c. push-drag
    d. front crossover, step out, step through

END OF SECTION II

SECTION III

In the following section, an incomplete statement is given. You are to provide a word or words in order to correctly complete it. Write your answer on the line given below each statement.

1. Mr. Parker opened the first professional karate studio in (year) .

__________________________________________________ _________

2. "Whatever the attitude, so is the (what)."

__________________________________________________ __________

3. "The ankle is the (what) of the foot."

4. Mr. Parker's Kenpo instructor was (who) .

5. In executing a punch you generally strike with (which) portion of the fist.

6. The sequence of blocks in "Star Block" is: upward, inward, extended outward, (what), back elbow, and push-down.

7. IKKA is an abbreviation for (what).

8. Two basic ways a person may be hit are: intentionally and ( ) .

9. "Angles of Attack" are the (number) basic directions from which you or your opponent can attack or defend.

10. Mr. Parker is a (number) degree black belt.

11. When paying respect, we bow to (what), and we salute to (whom).

12. Male students wear their belt knots on the (side) , female on the (side) , and (who) in the middle.

13. The weight distribution of a neutral bow and arrow stance is (percentages - in proper order) , a cat stance is (percentages - in proper order) , and a forward bow is (percentages - in proper order).

END OF SECTION III

SECTION IV

This last section is divided into two parts. In part A you are required to provide a series of words, a phrase, or a paragraph in order to answer the question or execute the command given. In part B two topics are presented and you are to analyze them in the following way. 1) give a definition of each. 2) explain their similarities, if there are any. 3) explain their differences, if there are any. 4) give examples, illustrations, analogies or any other helpful aid to assist in distinguishing between the two topics. Write your answers on the supplementary paper given. Concise but precise answers are preferred.

PART A:

1. Write out the Kenpo Creed.

2. What is "Over-reach", and why is it good or bad?

3. What is "Guard"?

4. Why is the Neutral Bow and Arrow Stance our basic fighting stance?

5. List five ideas that Short Form I teaches.

6. Why do we use meditation at the begin and end of every class?

7. What is a "Step Through"?

PART B:

1. "Embryonic Basics" vs. "Sophisticated Basics"

2. "Forms" vs. "Freestyle"

3. "Snap" vs. "Thrust"

END OF SECTION IV
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Brother John (08-23-2009),Celtic_Crippler (08-19-2009),J Ellis (08-19-2009),Mikael151 (08-24-2009),Old Lion (08-18-2009),punisher73 (08-20-2009),sigung86 (08-19-2009),TigerCraneGuy (08-19-2009)

tmg
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Mr. Parker's Yellow Belt Written Exam (sticky)

i took test for all belt levels with Barbara Hales Ventura kenpo school i enjoyed it due to u really had to think about every thing u were also taught to be able to answer questions that were asked when u tested for ur next rank. always learned to use ur mind body spirite. thank u toni
    TONI

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Mr. Parker's Yellow Belt Written Exam (sticky)

Quote Originally Posted by tmg View Post
    i took test for all belt levels with Barbara Hales Ventura kenpo school i enjoyed it due to u really had to think about every thing u were also taught to be able to answer questions that were asked when u tested for ur next rank. always learned to use ur mind body spirite. thank u toni
    Those Hale's really know the systems intricacies, and Barbara couldn't have done it any better. We go way back, even before we did the Infinite Insights together. She was silly too.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Mr. Parker's Yellow Belt Written Exam

What's the deal? No comments? I guess you guys are going to say that you didn't miss any questions on the Yellow Test?

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks
    Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    What's the deal? No comments? I guess you guys are going to say that you didn't miss any questions on the Yellow Test?
    I got 'em all right. But then again, I've seen the info before...a couple of times. I've also done thoughtful read-through of each student workbook I've recieved fom you, which contain written prep guidelines of their own.

I've also got waaaaayyyyyy too many years as a collidge stoodint to not have developed reasonable test-taking skills.

I am one of the most vocal complainers about the lack of academic excellence and C&P understanding in commercial kenpo, thinking our art is dying in the next generations hands, and saddened by it deeply; the loss of a legacy, IMO. I couldn't help but think, as I went through this test, how many kenpo schools I've visited wherein the black belts wouldn't stand a chance with the fill-ins, much less the yellows candidates.

Sadly, it gave me disturbing dreams all night, making me want to drop out and take up some other obsession. It's not all that gratifying to try holding down a fort that nobody cares about, except the people fighting to hold it. Sadly, no one is really even attacking it; out of apathy, they are just walking around it and continuing on, making the guards at the gate look even sadder for their persistence in keeping their weapons at the ready against attackers that never came..."The Art that Time Forgot."

Mebbe 100 years from now, someone will get into kenpo re-enactments, like Civil War or Alamo, and we'll see a resurgence.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (08-24-2009),sigung86 (08-19-2009)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    I got 'em all right. But then again, I've seen the info before...a couple of times. I've also done thoughtful read-through of each student workbook I've recieved fom you, which contain written prep guidelines of their own.

I've also got waaaaayyyyyy too many years as a collidge stoodint to not have developed reasonable test-taking skills.

I am one of the most vocal complainers about the lack of academic excellence and C&P understanding in commercial kenpo, thinking our art is dying in the next generations hands, and saddened by it deeply; the loss of a legacy, IMO. I couldn't help but think, as I went through this test, how many kenpo schools I've visited wherein the black belts wouldn't stand a chance with the fill-ins, much less the yellows candidates.

Sadly, it gave me disturbing dreams all night, making me want to drop out and take up some other obsession. It's not all that gratifying to try holding down a fort that nobody cares about, except the people fighting to hold it. Sadly, no one is really even attacking it; out of apathy, they are just walking around it and continuing on, making the guards at the gate look even sadder for their persistence in keeping their weapons at the ready against attackers that never came..."The Art that Time Forgot."

Mebbe 100 years from now, someone will get into kenpo re-enactments, like Civil War or Alamo, and we'll see a resurgence.

D.
    Sad but true. The info I've posted in the last few weeks could fuel conversations and teaching discussions for ages, yet barely a whimper. Apparently the yellow test shook a few folks.

Working hard to avoid the "xerox effect" in my downline, but then, I'm silly.

www.MSUACF.com

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Brother John (08-23-2009),Dr. Dave in da house (08-19-2009),sigung86 (08-19-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

You haven't posted anything we can disagree with. What's to discuss?
    Sean

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (08-19-2009)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Sad but true. The info I've posted in the last few weeks could fuel conversations and teaching discussions for ages, yet barely a whimper. Apparently the yellow test shook a few folks.

Working hard to avoid the "xerox effect" in my downline, but then, I'm silly.
    I think too many people are waiting on the answer key . . .
    Marcus Doyle
    Shaolin Kempo
    American Kenpo

KempoTraining.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindelt View Post
    I think too many people are waiting on the answer key . . .
    That very well may be sir, but the interesting thing is, Mr. Parker never supplied one. If you taught, you were supposed to know the answers. If you didn't, why were you teaching? was the philosophy he handed me.

But, the variances in education and intelligence in students and teachers alike in a commercial environment, pushed the tests aside for most instructors. The essay questions were especially perplexing to some, but the rest should be pretty easy considering all of his test were open book, but some well-known high ranking people were not very well educated, and like their personal life they rejected it is Kenpo as well. Mr. Parker "Let them be." "There's no shame in looking up the answer to a question. At least you know how to find the answer." he would say. "Unfortunately, most won't look it up, they would rather pretend they already know, and sit quietly on top of their pride and ego."

Lots of discussion there. Of course there are some that are only looking for something to disagree with, (which says a lot about them), while trying to give others the impression that they obviously understand everything that has been posted, which we all know is a huge load.

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

That very well may be sir, but the interesting thing is, Mr. Parker never supplied one. If you taught, you were supposed to know the answers. If you didn't, why were you teaching? was the philosophy he handed me.

But, the variances in education and intelligence in students and teachers alike in a commercial environment, pushed the tests aside for most instructors. The essay questions were especially perplexing to some, but the rest should be pretty easy considering all of his test were open book, but some well-known high ranking people were not very well educated, and like their personal life they rejected it is Kenpo as well. Mr. Parker "Let them be." "There's no shame in looking up the answer to a question. At least you know how to find the answer." he would say. "Unfortunately, most won't look it up, they would rather pretend they already know, and sit quietly on top of their pride and ego."

Lots of discussion there. Of course there are some that are only looking for something to disagree with, (which says a lot about them), while trying to give others the impression that they obviously understand everything that has been posted, which we all know is a huge load.
    There's always the problem when you come in writing stuff down Doc. Either you explain it so well there's not much for the people that KNOW to add or it adds enough for people still wanting to KNOW that there's not much to discuss as we digest it. Then, there are always those few that sit around and wait to cause trouble . . .

Anyway, I have never seen this before and I will tell you that I'm going to be working on it tonight and seeing how much I know without looking it up. Then I'm going to back and see what I've found that I don't know. I can already tell you . . . I'm missing some of the history.

In any case, thanks for posting, and I'll post my effort just for fun when I've given it the same time I would have given it had I received this for a real test.
    Marcus Doyle
    Shaolin Kempo
    American Kenpo

KempoTraining.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindelt View Post
    There's always the problem when you come in writing stuff down Doc. Either you explain it so well there's not much for the people that KNOW to add or it adds enough for people still wanting to KNOW that there's not much to discuss as we digest it. Then, there are always those few that sit around and wait to cause trouble . . .

Anyway, I have never seen this before and I will tell you that I'm going to be working on it tonight and seeing how much I know without looking it up. Then I'm going to back and see what I've found that I don't know. I can already tell you . . . I'm missing some of the history.

In any case, thanks for posting, and I'll post my effort just for fun when I've given it the same time I would have given it had I received this for a real test.
    Mighty nice of you sir. And it's not even about having all of the answers, after all it is a test geared primarily for an incoming Parker Kenpo student, but still the information is valid for all, and just playing with the test will lead to some good discussion, maybe and eye opener or two for all of us and, that's why I presume we're here; to get better, smarter, and share with each other. But then like you said, some are just lurking waiting to give a smart-ass answer and nitpick at something they can disagree with, while ignoring the volume of available info.

Salute sir.

www.MSUACF.com

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

I definitely would not earn a 100% on that test

First question that snagged me - belt ranking system I, II, and III? What does that refer to sir?

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    I definitely would not earn a 100% on that test

First question that snagged me - belt ranking system I, II, and III? What does that refer to sir?
    My thesis for 7th was on a cellular approach to ranking based on age. (I posted an excerpt previously). This was to create three separate levels of rank. Ostensibly, kids, juniors or teens, and adults. He wrote that into the material for me because he planned for it to be part of the commercial system, even though at the time I had only discussed it with him and it was far from finished. he liked it a lot. He wanted to protect the integrity of the system from the business of having to promote young people. He often said he didn't want to be "..like TKD with a whole bunch of kids with black belts, and runny noses."

No one could have answered that question except my students, and most of them would have gotten it wrong as well if they had not been exposed to it in the mid to late eighties.

www.MSUACF.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

How about this one?

a. "The Father of American Kenpo"

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

How about this one?

a. "The Father of American Kenpo"
    If you go by the back cover of the Infinite Insights Series it's D. "The Father of American Karate"
    Jeff Magoni

"When pure knuckles meet pure flesh...that's pure karate" - SGM Parker

"Survival is about dominating those who threaten you. So you can't think like you're going to fight them. You have to immediately dominate or destroy them to truly survive" - Larry Wick

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Ok - I'm posting my response in four parts . . . one for each section of your post Doc. One interesting thing for me . . . not having really "grown up" in the EPAK system, it was fun to try to actually write down exactly what I wanted to say. I've gotten used to a lot of terms and such, but I've never been one big on the terminology and definitions, but this was fun to work through. Keep in mind that I did this entire thing without looking anything up . . . so mistakes are mine from memory.

PREREQUISITES FOR YELLOW BELT

1. Recite the Kenpo Creed.

I come to you only with Karate, my empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, right or wrong, then here are my weapons, my Karate, my empty hands.

2. Follow the Formalities of the Association and your studio.

Done

3. Recite the Sayings for Yellow Belt.

The ankle is the wrist of the footThe only specific “Yellow Belt” one I can remember. The rest I would have to look up.

4. Read the History of Mr. Parker.
    I’ve read Infinite Insights . . .

5. Know the Synonyms used in the names of the techniques.
    Sword – Handsword
    Mace – Closed Fist
    Hammer – Hammerstrike/Block
    Twigs – Arms
    Death – Headlock
    Storm – Club Attack

6. Be able to explain the Clock Principle.

Won’t go into to exhaustive detail (Yellow Belt Exam afterall), but a clock is laid out on the floor around you. 12:00 is in front, 6:00 is behind. Provides directional references instead of trying to specify 45-degrees, 90-degrees to the left, etc. Instead, we use it to refer to “step to 3:00, continue spinning toward 2:00 and then strike back to the opponent at 7:00”.

7. Be able to explain the Belt Ranking System Level I, II, III.

[I]Not a clue! Have never heard of this in EPAK, but I was always taught that during a test, “I don’t know” is not an acceptable answer. You are being tested on what you DO know, now what you don’t. Therefore, in that spirit, my guess is as follows:

Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced and tied to the Belt System.
    White, Yellow, Orange = Beginner
    Purple, Blue = Intermediate
    Green, Brown = Advanced

This actually comes from my Shaolin Kempo background (Black Belts are considered . . . well, Black Belts). Doubt it has anything to do with EPAK, but I figured I’d give it a stab[I]

8. Be able to explain and give examples of the Terminology.

Done – since I’m not looking, I don’t remember which ones are “Yellow Belt Terms” only, and after doing the rest of the test, some come out.

9. Execute your Basics in a relaxed manner, accurately, and with comprehension of proper execution.
    AND
    10. Perform Short Form #1 on both sides.

Done – I hope!

11. Be able to explain some of the things that Short Form #1 contains and teaches.

Short Form 1 teaches primarily blocking while retreating. It is a basic introduction as well to get a student used to basic moving and timing of stances marrying with blocks (which also relates timing to strikes). Also teaches moving from Point of Origin and provides an opportunity to work on stances and transitions.

12. Know your Yellow Belt Freestyle Techniques.
    AND
    13. Familiarize yourself with the concepts contained in the Yellow Belt Freestyle Techniques.

Fail miserably here . . . I was never taught the Freestyle Techniques!!

14. Know your Techniques; that is, know the attack, the proper sequential response, and the proper name associated with it.

15. Practice your techniques with confidence against all types of people: short, tall, heavy, light, meek, aggressive, experienced, skilled, awkward, etc...

16. Develop ways to practice your techniques semi-spontaneously.

17. Be able to answer the questions on the Written Test.

Check!
    Marcus Doyle
    Shaolin Kempo
    American Kenpo

KempoTraining.com

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

SECTION I

In section one of this test you are to read a statement, and if that statement is correct, then circle "T" for true. If any part of that statement is incorrect, then circle "F" for false.

TRUE
    1. Mr. Parker was born and raised in Hawaii.

FALSE 2. "Heel-Knee Line" aids in determining the proper width of a Neutral Bow and Arrow Stance.

FALSE 3. Mr. Parker went to Brigham Young University until his junior year and then quit to do karate as a living.

TRUE 4. In the early stages of your learning, it is a good idea to defend with your more coordinated hand to the front.

TRUE 5. When blocking on the inside of your opponent's arm, do so below the elbow, never above it.

UNKNOWN 6. In the Yellow Belt Freestyle technique "B2a" the "2" indicates a push-drag shuffle, and the "a" represents a right uppercut punch.

TRUE 7. There are 3 basic methods of shuffling.

TRUE 8. Mr. Parker began studying Kenpo when he was 16.

FALSE 9. "Captured Twigs" is against a bear hug from the rear with the arms free.

END OF SECTION I

Most of the history on Mr. Parker I guessed on . . . For example, I know he got his Shodan in Judo at 18, and was already studying Kenpo, but I don't know how old he actually was when he did.

Other ones:

"Blocking on the inside of the arm, block below the elbow NEVER above it." I hate the word NEVER in True/False statements. But at this level, I would think it's an absolute.

"Coordinated hand in front" - I have never heard this one, so just a guess. I teach both hands lead at different points - not sure if this is a specific EPAK thing I missed.
    Marcus Doyle
    Shaolin Kempo
    American Kenpo

KempoTraining.com

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

SECTION II

In this section, a sentence or question will be presented. You are to choose the most correct and the most complete answer from the four possible answers given. Write the corresponding letter in the space provided.

C – Judo & Boxing
    1. Mr. Parker studied __________ before learning Kenpo.

a. Tae Kwon Do and Kick Boxing
    b. just Tae Kwon Do
    c. Judo and Boxing
    d. nothing

B – Stepping Through 2. Which of the following is not one of the three types of switching.

a. Moving your back leg to the front, then moving your front leg to the back.
    b. Stepping through.
    c. Moving your front leg to the back, then moving your back leg to the front.
    d. Jumping in-place.

D – Father of American Karate 3. Mr. Parker is known as the __________.

a. "The Father of Kenpo"

C - Hug 4. "Delayed Sword" is not typically used against a _________.

a. grab
    b. punch
    c. hug
    d. push

UNKNOWN 5. Which of the following is not a foot maneuver taught in the Yellow Belt Freestyle techniques ?

a. rear crossover
    b. front crossover, step out
    c. push-drag
    d. front crossover, step out, step through
    Marcus Doyle
    Shaolin Kempo
    American Kenpo

KempoTraining.com

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

SECTION III

In the following section, an incomplete statement is given. You are to provide a word or words in order to correctly complete it. Write your answer on the line given below each statement.

1. Mr. Parker opened the first professional karate studio in (year) .

2. "Whatever the attitude, so is the (what)."

Response

3. "The ankle is the (what) of the foot."

Wrist

4. Mr. Parker's Kenpo instructor was (who) .

William Kwai Sun Chow

5. In executing a punch you generally strike with (which) portion of the fist.

Front Two Knuckles

6. The sequence of blocks in "Star Block" is: upward, inward, extended outward, (what), back elbow, and push-down.

Downward (Outward)

7. IKKA is an abbreviation for (what).

International Kenpo Karate Association

8. Two basic ways a person may be hit are: intentionally and ( ) .
    Accidentally

9. "Angles of Attack" are the (number) basic directions from which you or your opponent can attack or defend.

Eight

10. Mr. Parker is a (number) degree black belt.

Tenth (although by now, shouldn’t he have been higher?)

11. When paying respect, we bow to (what), and we salute to (whom).

We bow to the dojo, and we salute to the instructor.

12. Male students wear their belt knots on the (side) , female on the (side) , and (who) in the middle.

Male – Left; Females – Right; Instructors - Middle

13. The weight distribution of a neutral bow and arrow stance is (percentages - in proper order) , a cat stance is (percentages - in proper order) , and a forward bow is (percentages - in proper order).

NB – 50/50
    Cat – 90/10
    FB – 60/40

END OF SECTION III
    Marcus Doyle
    Shaolin Kempo
    American Kenpo

KempoTraining.com

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

SECTION IV

This last section is divided into two parts. In part A you are required to provide a series of words, a phrase, or a paragraph in order to answer the question or execute the command given. In part B two topics are presented and you are to analyze them in the following way. 1) give a definition of each. 2) explain their similarities, if there are any. 3) explain their differences, if there are any. 4) give examples, illustrations, analogies or any other helpful aid to assist in distinguishing between the two topics. Write your answers on the supplementary paper given. Concise but precise answers are preferred.

PART A:

1. Write out the Kenpo Creed.

I come to you only with Karate - empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, right or wrong; then here are my weapons, Karate, my empty hands.

2. What is "Over-reach", and why is it good or bad?

Over-reach is the unnecessary extension of a limb for attack or defense. For the Kenpoist, it’s bad as it moves you away from your natural state of defense and is contrary to the principle of Economy of Motion. However, it is a good thing when the attacker commits the error, as it allows for more time and space for defense.

3. What is "Guard"?

Guard is the position in which the hands are up to protect oneself in a defensive posture. They should also permit offensive moves to occur from the same Point of Origin.

4. Why is the Neutral Bow and Arrow Stance our basic fighting stance?

It is a stable stance that permits all limbs to be utilized for attack and defense. With a Neutral weight distribution, it permits easy transition to other stances while remaining structurally sound, especially to attacks from the front/lead position. It also minimizes centerline exposure while still maintaining the even weight distribution.

5. List five ideas that Short Form I teaches.

Retreating while Blocking
    Moving from Point of Origin
    Cover Steps
    Double Principle (Major/Minor Moves)
    Step Throughs

6. Why do we use meditation at the begin and end of every class?

To focus and to clear the mind in preparation for a class and, in closing, to review and absorb. It is a chance to leave the mundane behind and work in the realm of Kenpo.

7. What is a "Step Through"?

A full step from, for example, a Left Neutral Bow to a Right Neutral Bow. Can be executed with a kick and covers the length of one stance.

PART B:

1. "Embryonic Basics" vs. "Sophisticated Basics"

Embryonic Basics are the simple moves – single in purpose, single in action. This is the base level of learning in American Kenpo and is the foundation for the art. Sophisticated Basics in contrast are still single in action, but serve multiple purposes. Often, an Embryonic Basic can be made into a Sophisticated Basic with proper thought and positioning.

An example of an Embryonic Basic would be a simple block, punch, or stance change. Sophisticated Basics would be when the punch, on it’s way to the face as a target, is able to break the opponent’s arm (Darting Mace).

2. "Forms" vs. "Freestyle"

Forms are a set of prearranged movements that help communicate and refine the basics of the system. They can concentrate on the stances, punches, and blocks of the system, or capture entire techniques against simulated multiple attackers.

Freestyle, or sparring, is controlled “live” attack in which movement is developed in a simulated real situation.

Both can help develop movement and self-defense skills, but the concentration is different in each as Forms are solo exercises, whereas Freestyle forms a more dynamic, extemporaneous situation in which to learn from.

3. "Snap" vs. "Thrust"

Snap and Thrust refer to methods of execution of Kicking. A snap kick is one that is designed to penetrate quickly into the target and retract. These are quick kicks designed for speed and efficiency of motion. In contrast, Thrusting kicks are designed to drive through a target and provide more body mass behind each kick. Slower, and unable to be retracted as easily, these are the power kicks of the system.

END OF SECTION IV
    Marcus Doyle
    Shaolin Kempo
    American Kenpo

KempoTraining.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links