Thread: Video on Blocking Set

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Video on Blocking Set

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yondanchris For This Useful Post:

KirkS (1 Week Ago),Star Dragon (1 Week Ago)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Video on Blocking Set

First I applaud you in your attempts to educate everyone else with what would seem to be information only you gleaned from Mr. Parker's books. Some very presumptuous comments and "observations" about what others may or may not do or teach, I am curious as to why people have the tendency to try to put all other people in the same box? it's a very sad but common affliction for many in the arts "ALL Arts and systems". I am guilty of this myself in the past. Couldn't watch the whole thing, a bit rudimentary for some I am sure but a great learning process for you I am guessing? FYI, depth of action does not or is not the same as "depth of penetration", particularly if your POI is beyond the "within contact" or "contact penetration" ranges. it's really basic math, if you are 10 inches from an object (contact penetration) and want to penetrate that object 5 inches you then have a 15 inch travel requirement and a 10 inch requirement to even reach the "contact penetration range". That is IF I am understanding what you said in your video... but it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things because "interpretation" is the fallacy of being correct or incorrect. I will try to watch the entire thing.... No promises. LOL
    Keep Learning keep sharing, that's how we grow as individuals!
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sumdumguy For This Useful Post:

KirkS (1 Week Ago)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

After some thought and consideration on this I came to a sad realization and remembered a few of the seminars that I have taught where people in attendance (not my people) had not either heard of or read the Infinite insights. This is due to a lack of service on their instructors part to insure that at the very least the students know their own lineage and where they can get information about what they are doing from the Founder himself. Might I recommend showing a link or.... where the books are available on Amazon or??? That being said what your doing is likely going to help at the very least expose some "next gen" people to that information and idea that they even exist. I would always caution the way your presentation addresses those who are teaching though, as many of them have sensitive little feelers and would not be inclined to "get" the message. Not that it matters are that you care, just say'n. So go forth and educate, at the very least people who don't know will know that the books exist and should be read, many times over many years over and over and over and.... well you get the picture.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sumdumguy For This Useful Post:

KirkS (6 Days Ago),nelson (4 Days Ago)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yondanchris View Post
    Hi Chris

That's indeed an interesting presentation - thanks for sharing. I enjoy seeing Infinite Insights discussed in that format. Every Kenpoist (in fact, every martial artist) will benefit from reading and reflecting on Mr. Parker's master piece.

I find this kind of discussion worthwhile, even if I may not always arrive at the same conclusions as you.

For instance, margin of error in an inward block indeed includes the forearm (upper case/lower case) in my view, and you don't really make clear what's wrong with that assumption. Even though
    the hammerfist would generally be the preferred impact zone in Kenpo.

Regarding the distinction between path of action and path of aggression, I would object that instances in which the two coincide go far beyond what you mentioned (at least in principle), as blocks with the hammerfist can generally be considered attacks to the nervous system. In particular as seen from the Dim Mak perspective that I am habitually employing (may I say, quite in line with late Mr. Parkers way of thinking).

Whereas I find your discussion of the role of the wrist in the hammering inward block to be right on the mark. One of my instructors advocates using that block for hooking and pulling down the opponent's arm in that very manner.

At any rate, your video got me (and no doubt, others as well) thinking. Mr. Parker would have more than welcomed that!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

KirkS (6 Days Ago)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links