Thread: Jim Thompson video (question about Mr. Parker's international travels)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Jim Thompson video (question about Mr. Parker's international travels)

So I came across this video of an interview with Jim Thompson.

https://youtu.be/Gjjo4kH55AM

At about 3 minutes 40 seconds into the video he mentions traveling with Mr. Parker "all over the world, to Russia, China, to England".

That got me thinking though, I'm pretty sure Mr. Parker never traveled to Russia or China.

From what I have been able to pick up through different YouTube videos it looks like Mr. Parker traveled to Ireland, Great Britain, Belgium, Mexico, Chile, and Venezuela. But that is pretty much it for his international travels.

Does any one know of any other international destinations that Mr. Parker traveled to, either to teach or to just visit?

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,861 Times in 5,545 Posts

Default Re: Jim Thompson video (question about Mr. Parker's international travels)

Quote Originally Posted by Crouching Tiger View Post
    So I came across this video of an interview with Jim Thompson.

https://youtu.be/Gjjo4kH55AM

At about 3 minutes 40 seconds into the video he mentions traveling with Mr. Parker "all over the world, to Russia, China, to England".

That got me thinking though, I'm pretty sure Mr. Parker never traveled to Russia or China.

From what I have been able to pick up through different YouTube videos it looks like Mr. Parker traveled to Ireland, Great Britain, Belgium, Mexico, Chile, and Venezuela. But that is pretty much it for his international travels. Does any one know of any other international destinations that Mr. Parker traveled to, either to teach or to just visit?
    I am in agreement with you. To my knowledge, Mr. Parker never visited Russia (U.S.S.R.), or China which were totalitarian countries for the bulk of his life. I'm sure Jim was speaking broadly or misspoke.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Jim Thompson video (question about Mr. Parker's international travels)

Quote Originally Posted by Crouching Tiger View Post
    Does any one know of any other international destinations that Mr. Parker traveled to, either to teach or to just visit?
    Around the late 70's, Mr. Parker repeatedly visited Australia to meet with his then representative John Van Wyk (personal communication from his daughter Darleen Parker). On those occasions, he also used to drop by (together with his wife Leilani) the studio of Taiji instructor Erle Montaigue in Sidney in order to watch some classes (personal communication from Erle Montaigue).

Later, Mr. Parker visited Australia again on the occasion of international Karate tournaments - about which Lee Wedlake has some story to share.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

KirkS (09-20-2017)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links