Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: AKKI Kenpo Having fun doing some techniques.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,861 Times in 5,545 Posts

Default Re: AKKI Kenpo Having fun doing some techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Deflecting12 View Post
    More of the same. Stick your hand out and don't move. Not even a real punch.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

In the end on these type videos is what a person is educated to see. To those who have a limited knowledge of biomechanics and reality, this is impressive. Even I can appreciate on a certain level what these guys are doing. But what I see is, a totally unrealistic static attack. A defense that has a lot of quick snappy moves, with no stances or stance changes, and a complete focus on completing a sequence with a total disregard for an alive attacker because it doesn't exist in this kind of training. As for getting that one hard shot; when a guy isn't fighting you and standing still, anybody can hit anybody hard. "OK, I'll stick my arm out like I'm punching, and then I'll stand still. You hit me with a bunch slappy moves, than finish with one hard move. I'll wait!"
    Mikael151 likes this.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dgm1327 (06-20-2014),KirkS (06-19-2014),MarkC (06-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

This is better than what I call, Imax Kenpo. That is where the little guys lean back like they are watching a movie at an Imax.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

Doc (09-08-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    As for getting that one hard shot; when a guy isn't fighting you and standing still, anybody can hit anybody hard. "OK, I'll stick my arm out like I'm punching, and then I'll stand still. You hit me with a bunch slappy moves, than finish with one hard move. I'll wait!"
    if this was in regard to my comment, i was referring to after getting a good solid shot or stun in you don't need much (as far as speed) afterwards. or was this in remark to the video?
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    if this was in regard to my comment, i was referring to after getting a good solid shot or stun in you don't need much (as far as speed) afterwards. or was this in remark to the video?
    No, I didn't see your comment I was just looking at the video. But now that I have, I agree with you.

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    This is what I mean. I know Paul well, and remember when he first came to Parker in the mid-eighties, (why he isn't on the family tree), and he came to my school so he could workout with my guys. I told him then, and talked about his mechanics when he was working with my brown belts. Paul is a good guy with a lot of natural gifts and talent and I like him a lot, I just don't subscribe to this method of "teaching."

Who taught him Kenpo in the mid-eighties? When you say he came to your school to workout with your guys, does this mean he stayed and learned Kenpo from you or was this just a one day visit?
    ~Sami Ibrahim

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenposoldier01 View Post
    Who taught him Kenpo in the mid-eighties? When you say he came to your school to workout with your guys, does this mean he stayed and learned Kenpo from you or was this just a one day visit?
    I am not an expert in his Kenpo history, all I know is he came to the IKKA and Mr. Parker in the mid-eighties after studying with someone else. Paul was living in Evanston Wyoming and visiting, and Mr. Parker brought him by a couple of times for me to look at him. But, in actuality Frank Trejo taught him most of the time he came out here, (Southern California), for a visit like most that came to see Parker. People who traveled from other states were taught by either Frank or Larry up until Larry left. The big exception was Dennis Conatser. It caught me by surprise because Mr. Parker rarely brought people to my training center, in fact the only other one I can recall was Ed Downey from Ireland.

www.MSUACF.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Kenposoldier01 (06-20-2014)

Thanks

I was just at a 3 day seminar earlier this month with Mr. Mills where you used me as a Uke a couple of times to demonstrate a principle or concept he was teaching, and even though it may have seemed he was hitting hard, he wasn't penetrating with his strikes. He has excellent control and hits just hard enough to get a reaction or break in posture. I can't count how many times I've heard him say "Now try it out, but take it easy on your partner."
    He does tell a couple of stories about how hard Mr. Parker used to hit (he thought his ankle was shattered once from Mr. Parker doing Leaping Crane on him), so if he does hit hard, maybe it's because Mr. Parker hit him hard? Anyway, when he's not demoing a concept, he's very soft spoken and very, very easy going.
    As for the guys in the first video, they may have turned up the juice for the camera. Idk. For me, I don't really train technique sequences anymore, I'm more focused on mechanics and striking patterns (which Mills almost solely covers in his seminars). I can't remember the last time I've seen Mr. Mills do a full technique sequence. We all know that self defense situations change on the fly, and while technique sequences are practical teaching tools, no one will do a complete technique sequence on the street.
    KenpoChanger likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

Kenposoldier01 (06-21-2014),westbayJJ (01-01-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Sometimes I wonder about all the sound effects.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crouching Tiger View Post
    Sometimes I wonder about all the sound effects.
    Which ones?

Thanks

I guess the only thing I wonder about is what happens the first time someone throws a real attack that genuinely has some forward momentum and they end up in different position than right in front of you with their arm extended just so...

Do they look at the attacker and say... "no, you're supposed to be here.. not over there... Do it again."

thE bUnnY
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

Doc (09-08-2015),MarkC (03-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 552 Posts

That's liek watching at a boxer hitting a heavy bag and saying "What does that guy do, if he has to punch somebody with arms and legs?"

When watching part of a training, one should not assume anything about other parts of the training. Maybe they are doing lots of full contact sparring as well? Who knows?
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lenny For This Useful Post:

Doc (09-08-2015),MrBunny (03-27-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    That's liek watching at a boxer hitting a heavy bag and saying "What does that guy do, if he has to punch somebody with arms and legs?"

When watching part of a training, one should not assume anything about other parts of the training. Maybe they are doing lots of full contact sparring as well? Who knows?
    Fair enough..

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

I've seen a video ( and maybe we've all seen it) of one of his down line guys
    demonstrating like this. Very fast hands but little lower body movement to support
    them. Still impressive to watch. Then in the same video the same guy sparred. Totally abandoned everything he had been doing, pretty much just the same old faux kickboxing/leaning away/ floppy dippy roundhouse kicks and backfists. Of course, " it was sparring, it's not the same"....right?
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

Doc (03-27-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I've seen a video ( and maybe we've all seen it) of one of his down line guys
    demonstrating like this. Very fast hands but little lower body movement to support
    them. Still impressive to watch. Then in the same video the same guy sparred. Totally abandoned everything he had been doing, pretty much just the same old faux kickboxing/leaning away/ floppy dippy roundhouse kicks and backfists. Of course, " it was sparring, it's not the same"....right?

If we are going to post videos we should have someone representing them on the forum so they can say this is XYZ, We also do bla bla bla...

if itreally gets down to it I can post a list of videos we could all tear apart...

-JTHM

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

Doc (03-27-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Which ones?
    I find that usually one kiai is sufficient. And I usually don't expect my opponent to kiai along with me.

And there just seems to be a lot of extra "aye aye aye, ohhhh, rahr" sounds.
    KenpoChanger likes this.

Thanks

I find that usually one kiai is sufficient. And I usually don't expect my opponent to kiai along with me.

I used to share your opinion, but then I joined the military. I didn't understand all the barking and chanting, at first, but it increases both breath and attitude. I don't come from a big Kiai school either, but I get it. What are you, some kinda' hippie? LOL

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenposoldier01 View Post
    I have no idea who Paul's previous teacher(s) was. All I know is Mr. Parker called me up one day and said he was bringing him by and that's when we were introduced. He worked with some of my guys and hug out for the day with Mr. Parker, and that was the extent of the visit. It was very unusual because Mr. Parker never brought anyone there, so I was quite surprised. How, or why that occurred I do not know, but it never happened again. Not that it was secretive or anything, it just didn't happen. Mr. Parker would be there all the time, even skipping some Thursdays when he was supposed to be in West L.A. to hang out, work out, and eat with me and my guys. This is the answer to "why" Paul Mill's is not on the Family Tree. The Tree was created and published well before he came around and Paul came in a few years before Mr. Parker's death in 1990.

Paul and I along with Mr. Parker attended an event Bob Perry was having in Garden Grove in the late eighties, where Mr. Parker used Paul in a short demo, and promotion ceremony for some of Bob's guys. I took some pictures of the event, and I'm told they are up on the Facebook page I have that my students administer.

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

At least they're not using the actual word "kiai" ( or some mispronunciation of it ) as their kiai...
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links