Thread: Kenpo Training January 2012

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 907 Posts

Default Kenpo Training January 2012

I was supposed to teach a class today, but everybody stood me up. So instead I trained on my own for about an hour and a half and I recorded some of it. Sorry about the webcam.

This first video is me warming up with some stand up wearing MMA gloves. I find that training with the gloves on puts me in a different mindset so sometimes I train with sparring gear on and sometimes I train with sparring gear off.

Then I practiced some sets. This is Sparring Set 2.

This is Striking Set.

This is what I teach as Club Set 1. I learned this from a guy who's school I used to teach at. It moves around a lot so I ended up losing most of the second half, but you get the idea.

Then I started opening it back up and worked on some empty hand shadowboxing varying the intensity. Tried out a new camera angle on this one. It was super sunny while I was working out, which is nice for training, but makes recording hard.

Then I started working with some weapons. Here's me working with a single club.

And this is me working with a single knife.

I felt pretty good for my first formal training session of the year. I need to work on my kicks. And I tried to focus today on using my left hand more.

Thanks for watching. Thanks for commenting.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo Training January 2012

Great job as always!!!
    I like what you do. I'm not sure if the camera is at a odd angle but I see that when you are working with the knife, you are extending your body forward at a forward angle. If you miss your target, you could be pulled into your attacker and you also open up your groin and mid section. If you keep your stances strong without bending forward, your power will be increased and your speed will also increase. I don't see that so much with you executing punches.

Take Care
    God Bless

YBIK
    Mark W.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to altoona For This Useful Post:

Thesemindz (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 850 Posts

You know what? I think I forgot to tell you that I like the little things that you do.You move well...entirely too well for a guy that big.You're not stiff or tense.You shift in and out of southpaw and orthodox leads in a way that shows you have intelligently applied your skill developement (when you're fighting southpaw,you don't forget about your left hand or your whole left side).You have that "big man punch"...you throw with the knowledge drawn from experience that you can and do hit and hurt people. The only draw back to that is that you tend to keep throwing punches to the targets that you are both most comfy hitting on other people and you tend to throw in the same area.You could do even more serious damage than you already do by working more body punches knees and head butts into your flow.Plus I think you already know from doing it that you scare people to death when you pull off an arm drag,so work that motion and the sub/control hold following it into whatever shadowboxing techs you feel most comfy with.Judging by your low kick and your thrust punch backfist? I think you'd scare the crap outta peeps if you worked more Glancing Wing,Gathering Clouds,and doubled up on your kicks.Your left hand tells me that you have a pretty sharp Snaking Talon (am I right?)

You definitely know what you're doing,Rob.Keep up the good work man,and thank you very much for sharing!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ATACX GYM For This Useful Post:

Thesemindz (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 907 Posts

In my training session tonight I worked on both your suggestions. While I was working with the weapons, I made an effort to stay rooted in my stance and not over extend with my attacks. And while I was working my hand techniques I made an effort to vary my targeting and use more strikes to the body and limbs. I definitely got a lot from that practice. Thanks for the advice.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links