Thread: Kenpo Ohana 2011: Revisiting Old Kenpo with Sword of Destruction, Part 1

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Default Kenpo Ohana 2011: Revisiting Old Kenpo with Sword of Destruction, Part 1

Revisiting Old Kenpo with Sword of Destruction, Part 1
    Opening elipses on Sword of Destruction allows inserts of complementary weapons along circular paths of travel
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

CyberTyger (11-16-2011),jdinca (11-16-2011),Lenny (11-16-2011),MarkC (11-16-2011),punisher73 (11-21-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,425 Posts

Default Re: Kenpo Ohana 2011: Revisiting Old Kenpo with Sword of Destruction, Part 1

Thx, Nelson. I've had a few messages and emails about the eyes, some of my phrases, stance depth and solidity, and the fact that I tend to move in line with the path of the incoming roundhouse attack, rather than straight back, etc. Allow me to clarify perspective and intent for any who care.

My history is, proudly, in kenpo associated with both thug enforcers, and military. Neither is concerned with the legal consequences of their combative actions, as much as they are about the efficacy of their actions. In each case, dispatching an attacker ASAP is more important than the mayhem charges that follow, or are in keeping with the rules of engagement in a hostile exchange. So, yes... I go for the eyes, with extreme prejudice. Mr. Parker used to say there were handles all over the body. Common non-mayhem handles include things like the lateral mass of the pectoralis muscles, collarbones, etc. Once the restrictions of civilized society are removed by environment and intent, the eye sockets, the backside of the bridge of the nose, the windpipe, etc., all also become handles for manipulating the attackers position; once the SHTF, I view the BG as a meatbag to be slung around, not a person with civil rights that can be violated. While I do kickbox, spar, and grapple, I make it a point to never lose sight of what I train for. If some guy is getting out of his car mad, and wants to throw down, I will gladly keep my movements to boxing, judo, jujutsu, etc.; I have even allowed myself to lose in fair fisticuffs, rather than escalate the levels of force to satisfy my ego with a win at any cost. It takes a willingness to use discretionary thinking, and an awareness that -- even if a guy outclasses you in a boxing throwdown, it's not lethal like a Bowie knife; the wounds are cosmetic, and heal. If, however, he suddenly reaches behind his back toward his waistband, I'm burying my fingers in his eye socket up to my wristwatch, and twirling them around like blender blades. If a guy is drunk at a club I'm working at, I'll check off his attacks, put him in a sleeper hold, and take him outside to cool down. But if I wake to a guy moving stealthily through my childrens bedroom, I'm putting him down, hard. If I do my job as a father/kenpoist properly, he will never make it to trial. If I do my job as a miscreant right, no one will ever find his body to know a misdeed has been done. War is a different hat, and asks for different actions. Ares and Athena are both dieties of war -- one representing wisdom, discretion, discipline; the other representing mayhem... I believe the Ares' chariot was drawn by horses named Fear and Terror. Both govern war; one representing the civilized and refined, the other representing the berserker aspect of conflict. When I train cuisinart kenpo, I train for Ares', not Athena.

"Cuisinart kenpo" is not my phrase; first I saw it was by Rich Post, a 10th degree under Joe Dimmick, one of Mr. Parkers original 7th degrees who broke ties with Mr. Parker and created his own system of Sam Pai/3 Shields kenpo. I loved the phrase, and promptly stole it.

"Seal the breath" is a phrase I picked up from Doc Chapel. Great phrase; perfectly descriptive; beat the heck out of 5 minutes of anatomy lecture every time a costal margin-ish or posterior rib/kidney shot was discussed; promptly stole it. "I know where he is, because I put him there" is also unabashedly stolen from Doc... a video of him and Bode working a brown.

I don't always step straight back. I am a proponent of different interps of the techniques, at different levels of development in the system. I think a yellow belt should step rearward. I think blues to brown should step more sideways or in on an angle, depending on circumstance and intent. I think browns and new black should step in, to "attack the attack". From Nidan, up, I think they should do whatever the situation calls for, adapting to changes in positioning, weight distribution of attacker, etc. In boxing, stepping left to avoid a left can place you in the path for the right cross that typically follows a left hook. In JKD crashes, clinch-fighting, Muay Thai, and BJJ, I want to be right there. Fading inside a left hook or roundhouse sets me up nicely for access to his frontal targets; changes my location enough that he has to reprogram his computer for that right to find me; modifies range in depth to make jamming his right-sided weapons follow-ups before they leave the gate hella easy, and positions me for some easy clinches, take-downs, and throws. Next time, I'll take it to that place so people can see what I'm talking about. That, however, was not the purpose of this session: The purpose of the session was to emphasize the shapes and paths of travel available to the kenpoist (and inherent in the techniques), and how the deployment of resources (weapons, both natural and non) are recognized as natural extensions of the orbits one is travelling on... how to create and capitalize on opportunities using fluid motion and rearrangement.

My stance objectives are never to hit a perfect NB in this series. As I mentioned, the training environment I came from (and continue to participate in whenever possible) isn't one of facing someone off and slugging it out. It's about immediate endings. For every step you take away from a BG, you have to reclaim that territory later in the exchange to finish him. So I endeavor to teach my students to launch into an authoritative and final response by blasting out of a standing position; to appear neutral and non-threatening until the last possible moment, so as not to tip the udder guy that you might know something and be a threat of some sort. Plane hijackers got wise to the idea of "checking" potential threats by having the big guys and athletes change seats with small women and children, so they were all in window seats and could not readily reach the hijackers from an aisle seat. If you know something, and are in a position to do something about a situation, do you want to be allocated to a window seat because you look dangerous, or left in the aisle seat where you can aid in solutions?

It may all be bull-**** for all I know, but one of the "myths" informing my old kenpo training was that the kung-fu guys in the Chinese arts lineages used to be enforcers and collectors for the triads. For hits, they would have to get close to the target, by being unassuming and not appearing to be a threat. If they got TO the body-guards, they would have to dispatch them in 1-2 moves each, then lay into the mark before anyone else in proximity could stop them. If they got PAST the bodyguards, they would have to dispatch the mark straight from the unassuming posture they used to reach him. No cool stances; just zero to 60, straight off the blocks. You hide your weapons until they are needed for deployment. Old versions of Snapping Twig used to be delivered from a standing position, with a front snap to the knee timed with the arm-break, some of the same raking inserts I discussed in the video above. Some old timers with nefarious backgrounds never did cover-outs, but rather pass-by's... incapacitate the guy, then slough him off as you slip by him and on to the next one... the implication being that the guy being taken out isn't even the target of interest, but rather just someone who is between us and the target of interest; deal with him, and get him out of the way so we can REACH the target of interest. Look at the system with these eyes, and some of the techniques start belying a very different "original intent".

How many techs in the system are readily amenable to slipping past a bodyguard who is reaching out a hand to slow your progress towards the throne? Flashing Wings? Leaping Crane? Add a control release to techs like Triggered Salute or Glancing Salute, and what about that whole class of directional replies?

LEO and the citizenry cannot afford to be breaking knees, chopping throats and raking/piercing eyes. GI's can't afford not to.

Finally, watching the series, keep something in mind: It is better to pre-emtively jam an attack than to respond to it fully formed. It is better to be already working the guy with 5 beats of our own inserted into the time frame it takes him to cover one beat of his time. Music theory: Length of a measure. One whole note held for the measure, versus 4 quarter notes in the same measure. kenpo training prepares us for this speed. Perceptual, mental and physical speed allows us to insert our multiple beats into his uni-beat. At least as I was taught, that was the point. Delayed Sword should eventually stop being an inward block to the attacking limb, and eventually become a palm-heel to the shoulder of that same side, before the guy even gets the weapon out of gear. Do you not learn to watch for attacks and jam them while sparring?

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (11-16-2011),Christopher Stewart (11-18-2011),J Ellis (11-19-2011),KenpoGhost (09-17-2012),Mac (11-19-2011),MarkC (11-16-2011),nelson (11-18-2011),punisher73 (11-21-2011),sigung86 (11-16-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo Ohana 2011: Revisiting Old Kenpo with Sword of Destruction, Part 1

I enjoyed the information shared in the video and in your post Doctor Dave. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to future gifts of knowledge from you.

-Jim

“Having an open mind does not necessarily lead to perfection. It is your ability to observe, analyze, discern, and understand the true essence th`at basic principles contain that point the way to perfection.” - Ed Parker Sr.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberTyger For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (11-16-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,115 Times in 1,470 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    No cool stances; just zero to 60, straight off the blocks. You hide your weapons until they are needed for deployment.
    D.
    This speaks again to the concept of training big to become small. Stances fit into this concept as well. Full stances and full transitions from one stance to another help to train to use the stance to power the tech. Once that skill has been developed, one can still use the stance to power the tech, even when not in full stance or using full stance-to-stance transitions. What may appear to be a casual, or even "no" stance, can still be used, once the method and skill is developed.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Christopher Stewart (02-15-2013),Dr. Dave in da house (11-16-2011),J Ellis (11-19-2011),jdinca (11-16-2011),Mac (11-19-2011),MarkC (11-18-2011),nelson (11-16-2011),sigung86 (11-16-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

Excellent post, Dr. Dave. I'd like to steal most of it!
    And this is sweet: "...If I do my job as a miscreant right, no one will ever find his body..."
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

Christopher Stewart is offline Always Learning!
    Thanks

Awesome stuff Dr. D, looking forward to more kenpo koolaid!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Totally different from what I have learned, but interesting for sure.
    Sean
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

Mac
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Forget more of the kenpo "koolaid" break out the tequila!
    I couldn't agree more Nelson

Great stuff Dr. Dave. Keep it coming!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    This speaks again to the concept of training big to become small. Stances fit into this concept as well. Full stances and full transitions from one stance to another help to train to use the stance to power the tech. Once that skill has been developed, one can still use the stance to power the tech, even when not in full stance or using full stance-to-stance transitions. What may appear to be a casual, or even "no" stance, can still be used, once the method and skill is developed.
    Are you suggesting I have to drill the basics for years to get to where Dave is right now? I can't just forgo stance training and big circles to move immediately into ninja mastery? Bummer.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

"This whole thing is about balance and timing." -- Damon Excell

If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones.

If it is important, do it every day. If it is not important, don’t do it at all. (Dan Gable’s coaching philosophy)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J Ellis For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (11-19-2011),flying crane (11-20-2011),jdinca (11-19-2011),MarkC (11-19-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,115 Times in 1,470 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J Ellis View Post
    Are you suggesting I have to drill the basics for years to get to where Dave is right now? I can't just forgo stance training and big circles to move immediately into ninja mastery? Bummer.
    I think that for you, we could make an exception.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

16. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (11-20-2011)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links