Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atacx gym checking the storm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 850 Posts

Default Atacx gym checking the storm

It's taking a good minute to upload,but so far I have part 1 up which is mostly an introduction before I start breaking down the real techs....and if you guys and gals like old skool hip hop? I got Big Daddy Kane playing in the background for ya...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etrF2sk_ZQs

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ATACX GYM For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (07-12-2011),jdinca (07-12-2011),KirkS (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Default Re: Atacx gym checking the storm

Quote Originally Posted by ATACX GYM View Post
    It's taking a good minute to upload,but so far I have part 1 up which is mostly an introduction before I start breaking down the real techs....and if you guys and gals like old skool hip hop? I got Big Daddy Kane playing in the background for ya...

Thanks, Ras. I really enjoyed that.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

I agree that version you showed won't work. Where did you get that version anyway? Good Lord!
    Sean
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpochanger View Post
    i agree that version you showed won't work. Where did you get that version anyway? Good lord!
    Sean
    hahahahaha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    Thanks, Ras. I really enjoyed that.
    You're welcome my brother! Hope to be able to load up the rest of the stuff today. I hope my STREET LETHAL version is being loaded too...lotsa stomps knees elbows joint locks (ATACX GYM R.D.L. and R.D.L.=ROCK,DROP and LOCK) and Kenpo brutality in that one; and it's hella efficient.I've never failed to disarm a guy with this series,and I tested it by having my 5 footers ( a group of students that I have who are no more than 5 feet tall) try it against myself and some of my Big Dawgs (of course the big folks in my class) when my Big Dawgs had the stick/knife/gun. It works,everyone.You guys will like it.

Thanks

hahahahaha
    Seriously though. Its a beginning concept about getting off the line of attack, and not an advanced stick fighting catch all.
    Sean

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

jdinca (07-12-2011)

Thanks

The checks are not about reaching for the stick, they are to parry things away from the head. There is a difference.
    Sean

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

jdinca (07-12-2011)

Thanks

Nah the tech I showed was the IP CHECKING THE STORM which I disagree with.

CASA DE KENPO CHECKING THE STORM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXk84...feature=fvwrel

I started showing the problems right away with the training model presented; the attacker will swing with the stick repeatedly,not just once.He won't extend his wrist so you can execute the sweet blocks and parries you know without being jeopardized by the stick,he won't pose there like a statue.He'll struggle to maintain the stick if you get passed it and he will strike and wrestle with you.My actual responses to this attack are sharply differnt than what's shown; I actually hope my STREET LETHAL techs for CHECKING THE STORM will be loading up but I think (based upon what my video man said) that my more "plain vanilla" (but still a thousand times more effective than the IP CTS version) variant is loading.I include unbalancing,overhooks,LIVE ATTACKS FROM THE STICK AND KNIFE AND MY LIVE COUNTERS,arm torques and arm bars in my "plain vanilla" version. In my STREET LETHAL variant I have a blizzard of stomps knees and elbows,eye gouges groin grabs (those PEACHES,I say!) disarms etc. in a very efficient flurry. Check it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 839 Posts

I think your functional Kenpo techniques would be even better, if you had a little better understanding of how the techniques work.
    A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism. ~ Louis A. Berman

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eastcoastkenpoist For This Useful Post:

godlikeskill (07-12-2011)

Thanks

Nah the tech I showed was the IP CHECKING THE STORM which I disagree with.

CASA DE KENPO CHECKING THE STORM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXk84...feature=fvwrel

I started showing the problems right away with the training model presented; the attacker will swing with the stick repeatedly,not just once.He won't extend his wrist so you can execute the sweet blocks and parries you know without being jeopardized by the stick,he won't pose there like a statue.He'll struggle to maintain the stick if you get passed it and he will strike and wrestle with you.My actual responses to this attack are sharply differnt than what's shown; I actually hope my STREET LETHAL techs for CHECKING THE STORM will be loading up but I think (based upon what my video man said) that my more "plain vanilla" (but still a thousand times more effective than the IP CTS version) variant is loading.I include unbalancing,overhooks,LIVE ATTACKS FROM THE STICK AND KNIFE AND MY LIVE COUNTERS,arm torques and arm bars in my "plain vanilla" version. In my STREET LETHAL variant I have a blizzard of stomps knees and elbows,eye gouges groin grabs (those PEACHES,I say!) disarms etc. in a very efficient flurry. Check it out.
    I take issue with a lot of what these guys are teaching; so, I'm with you, but I don't know or do the same stuff. We just use the same tech names.
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastkenpoist View Post
    I think your functional Kenpo techniques would be even better, if you had a little better understanding of how the techniques work.
    Your comment might be more than a bit premature man.Wait until the rest of the videos are loaded up.You might still be of the same opinion when you see the rest of the videos,but at least you'll be better informed.I would say with confidence,though,that I know a thing or two about the stick and knife.Whatever your criticisms may be? It WON'T be that I don't know what I'm doing when you see the videos.That I'm almost certain of.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    I'm ready to tune in for part 2! LOL!! I like how you have clearly shown that the "standard" overhead stick defense is great for the dojo and a compliant uke but not so great for the street. I'm just curious, what's with the gloves?
    Lolol my bad about the gloves man. I was working out prior to that and I had them on.Also the gloves reduce the callouses you get from swinging the stick.We make contact with the sticks when we swing them.You'll see LIVE ATTACKS in the upcoming videos; and I guarantee you that the stomps knees elbows and R.D.L. that I use will add up to a very quick and efficient disarm and destruction of any weapon wielding opponent that assaults you and you try the techs that I show in the video.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    The checks are not about reaching for the stick, they are to parry things away from the head. There is a difference.
    Sean

Yes I know that; but in real life? Parrying the stick as recommended is HIGHLY UNRELIABLE.You'll get hurt and you're likely to miss the parry as suggested anyway.You'll see what happens when the stick gets swung at full speed and full power as the videos load.Anyone recommending that you parry the stick away from your head in the manner the IP tends to demonstrate is delusional at best,or fighting Lil Orphan Annie.

Thanks

Before you post, Checking the Storm is a club and not a stick defense, Thank you.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

Doc (07-12-2011),Thesemindz (07-12-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Club, stick, bottle, are the SD techs really that different? Knives and Samurai swords are different critters to be sure. I would prefer not to face a sword bare handed! LOL!!
    Yes, each weapon brings its own attitude, timing, and degree of difficulty.
    Sean

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (07-12-2011),Lenny (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 907 Posts

Ok. I watched your first video and here's some things that leapt out at me.

First, your main point of contention in this video is that the opponent won't attack you with a "stick" in this fashion. But I wasn't taught that this was a defense against a "stick." I was taught that the downward overhead strikes weren't "sticks" at all, they were "clubs." The only reason someone would lift an impact weapon up over their head and try to crash it down on top of you is because they needed the extra gravitational force to swing the weapon with sufficient striking force. With attacks like this, I think of things like heavy lead pipes, one handed baseball bat swings, canoe oars, and large awkward objects like mantrap chairs. That's why we teach getting out of the way first. The opponent isn't going to swipe at you with a "club" the same way he will with a "stick."

Secondly, when you get to the inward and outward and inward/outward "stick" attacks, we do have techniques that address those types of attacks. Returning the Storm, Calming the Storm, and Securing the Storm all address those types of attacks. I know you're big on every technique applying to every attack, and that's fine, but that's not how I practice or teach.

I see the techniques as snapshots of different possible engagement scenarios, with the ultimate goal not being using any one technique against everything, but rather internalizing everything in order to use kenpo in general against any attack. I see that as mostly just a methodological difference. As long as the outcome of effective self defense is the same, how we get there is more a matter of preference to me.

I don't really have any problem with what you're doing here, but I think sometimes you're lashing out at something that is only a problem in your own mind. The videos are great, and I'm glad you're doing them. I've been showing some of them to my students as well. But many of the problems I see you talk about as being universal to kenpo only exist if the instructors are ignorant and the students are lazy. If they are actually working with and exploring their techniques, then they understand when and why and how a person would use an overhead club attack. And when and why and how they would not. For instance, you say the attacker wouldn't step through with the attack, which is true if he was swinging a "stick," but if he was swinging a "club," which is how I was taught this attack, he most likely would step through, because the heavier weight of the weapon would pull the rear side of his body forward and off his base and he would recover with a step through.

Part of the problem is that all the impact weapon techniques have the same code name "Storm" and are usually practiced with the same kind of training weapons. This gives the impression that every "Storm" is the same. But in reality, these techniques address very different weapons and very different attacks, and are not all intended to be used against the kind of rattan fighting sticks we see so often in karate schools today. Sometimes the Storm is a snow flurry, quick and blinding. Sometimes it's a thunderstorm, heavy and deafening. Sometimes it's a tornado, swirling and destructive. Sometimes it's a hurricane powerful but slow moving. Thinking that every Storm is the same leads to the obvious conclusion that not every Storm technique works against a snow flurry. But the reality is they were never all intended to.

At least that's what my instructor taught me.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thesemindz For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (07-12-2011),J Ellis (07-13-2011),Lenny (07-12-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

I think the technique (not just your version) does not make sense. While I learned the technique and can make it work, I do not choose to go to the inside/live side of a club. Never made sense to me. If someone is coming at me with an overhead club, I am going to the outside (left side). Also, I never parry the stick/club. I parry/redirect the wrist/forarm attached to the club.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Thanks

AG, I do love what you are doing... thanks for sharing your vid's and thoughts. Keep doing what you are doign and other will keep doing what they are doing. The people listening to both may even find a 3rd way to do something.

Thanks.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." Loa Tzu

www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HKphooey View Post
    I think the technique (not just your version) does not make sense. While I learned the technique and can make it work, I do not choose to go to the inside/live side of a club. Never made sense to me. If someone is coming at me with an overhead club, I am going to the outside (left side). Also, I never parry the stick/club. I parry/redirect the wrist/forarm attached to the club.
    Good point about attacking the weapon arm and not the weapon itself. But as for always moving to the closed side, what if there is a wall there? What if there is an open stairwell there? What if there are more attackers there? What if you are already standing slightly off angle towards his open side? What if you are attacked from behind as you are turning to face the opponent and are already committed to moving to his open side?

I don't get a choice about where the attack comes from. If I did, the attack wouldn't come. So I work defenses standing and sitting and laying on the ground. And I work defenses from the left and the right. And I work defenses moving to the inside and moving to the outside. So that I am ready to respond from any position, to any position.

Yes. Generally speaking I always want to move to the closed side. But that isn't always an option. So I have defenses to the open side as well.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Thesemindz For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (07-12-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thesemindz View Post
    Good point about attacking the weapon arm and not the weapon itself. But as for always moving to the closed side, what if there is a wall there? What if there is an open stairwell there? What if there are more attackers there? What if you are already standing slightly off angle towards his open side? What if you are attacked from behind as you are turning to face the opponent and are already committed to moving to his open side?

I don't get a choice about where the attack comes from. If I did, the attack wouldn't come. So I work defenses standing and sitting and laying on the ground. And I work defenses from the left and the right. And I work defenses moving to the inside and moving to the outside. So that I am ready to respond from any position, to any position.

Yes. Generally speaking I always want to move to the closed side. But that isn't always an option. So I have defenses to the open side as well.

-Rob
    Totally aggree.
    All depends on the attack... I can go there if I have to, but not my first choice. I have not encountered a guy on that stood in front of me with stick, performing an over head attack with his other arm at his side. I have had a drunk dude swing a softball bat at me. When I went to the oustide it worked and i was able to defuse the situation without harm to myself or the attacker.

www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

29. The Following User Says Thank You to HKphooey For This Useful Post:

Thesemindz (07-12-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links