Thread: Posting videos, good or bad for Kenpo??

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Posting videos, good or bad for Kenpo??

It seems that the overall opinion in this section is that out all of these videos posted, only a very few are "approved" by the forum here. I also see a lot of "Kenpo" posted videos that I personally feel make the art look weak and ineffective due to the person performing, as well as many speaking with authority that are probably video trained themselves.

Was wondering what the general opinion here is of how our art is being portrayed on the net these days??

Thanks all....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Default Re: Posting videos, good or bad for Kenpo??

I've got a few clips out there. I invited comments. Didn't really get very many. Although there are 4 thumbs down to 1 thumbs up.

Seems the words of Spock ring true; as a matter of historical record, it is always easier to destroy, that create.

In general, I do not think they help forward the art. But, what is even worse, is the un-specificity of the criticisms. I think Lenny posted a good link on a different thread, about the Sport karate ~ how it can only be measured visually; and by this metric, the trend is toward speed.

I have heard that the higher Kenpo forms begin with complex maneuvers. This allows the view to come to a quick realization of the practitioners competence in the first few seconds of the form. If they can't land the first three or four moves right; there's not much of a need to continue watching. I think that's about right.

All righty then ... I've gone and said too much again.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

I don't know if I've seen any of your clips, sir. I'd like to, if you'll provide a link. No criticisms will be aimed at you from me.
    About the question posed by the OP, I get bugged most about people who post videos of themselves giving "lessons" or showing how to do a certain thing, and then they aren't even doing that thing correctly, or even recognizably. Stances seem to be a common issue.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 392 View Post
    It seems that the overall opinion in this section is that out all of these videos posted, only a very few are "approved" by the forum here. I also see a lot of "Kenpo" posted videos that I personally feel make the art look weak and ineffective due to the person performing, as well as many speaking with authority that are probably video trained themselves.

Was wondering what the general opinion here is of how our art is being portrayed on the net these days??

Thanks all....
    If you post a video, be prepared for the onslaught of commentary. There will be the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good will be constructive criticism. The bad, will be criticism by those who can't and won't pony up anything better. The ugly will be from those who don't understand what you were doing in the first place.

I've seen very little that is 'great', but that's because it is a rarity. I think the videos reflect kenpo as it is. If it sucks, that gives a 'state of the union.' If you wish kenpo to be admired, then they must be drowned out by the chorus of exeptional execution.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Barnes For This Useful Post:

Blindside (11-24-2010),MarkC (11-24-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 968 Posts

It may be off the original intent of the thread a bit, but I think videos between teachers and students or experienced practitioners (espcially if they know each other) and are filmed for a specific purpose can be very useful. There are many things that simply cannot be conveyed by video; you have to put your hands on someone (or have hands put on you). But there are also many lessons that can be conveyed and answers that can be demonstrated when prepared for that purpose, not merely to entertain the YouTube audience with your own brilliance. Of course, these aren't usually the kind of videos you will find on YouTube. Most will be shared privately and guarded somewhat closely.
    Joel Ellis
    Arizona
    Festina Lente

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Ellis For This Useful Post:

Darkside (11-24-2010),Kristospheros (11-25-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 839 Posts

I find videos are a great way to show students what it is not.

Which helps to demonstrate what it is.
    A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism. ~ Louis A. Berman

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eastcoastkenpoist For This Useful Post:

KenpoChanger (11-25-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I enjoy videos. Good or bad, I usually learn something from them. I don't think the videos alone make Kenpo look bad. The videos are just representative of the style as a whole. The majority of schools are bad. It sounds harsh, but it's true. In EPAK, anyone who took a seminar with Mr.Parker became his direct student and keeper of the flame, so to speak. Others did the same thing within their own particular branch of Kenpo. They began teaching watered down material, to mis-guided students, who would take that information and do the same. We all know what they say about a copy of a copy, right? So, lots of bad schools equals lots of bad Kenpo videos on the internet. Not all that shocking to me.

Yes, so I guess SOME videos make Kenpo look bad. I try not to worry much about it. The only thing I can do is work my hardest to not contribute to the "bad".
    Last edited by Darkside; 11-25-2010 at 12:30 AM.
    Jeff Magoni

"When pure knuckles meet pure flesh...that's pure karate" - SGM Parker

"Survival is about dominating those who threaten you. So you can't think like you're going to fight them. You have to immediately dominate or destroy them to truly survive" - Larry Wick

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darkside For This Useful Post:

Doc (11-25-2010),J Ellis (11-25-2010),MarkC (11-25-2010)

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 392 View Post

Thanks all....
    If someone wishes to post a clip of themselves, thats fine, nothing wrong with that. Good or bad, the person should be prepared for the comments that will follow. Sometimes a clip will be posted, and it'll really be good, yet some will comment and say it sucks. Does it really suck? Or is it because the person posting the clip is from a different Kenpo branch, so the person leaving the negative comment thinks their branch is the end all, be all of Kenpo.

Other times, a clip really will suck, yet the person posting will view it differently, thinking that they're really good.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJS For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (11-25-2010),MarkC (11-25-2010)

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

I post videos when I find them and they seem interesting. I do this to spur conversation. The discussions have so far been interesting, sometimes heated explorations of the participants views on what makes good or bad kenpo. I think this exchange is good overall for the art, as it keeps you thinking about how to improve your own efforts. Plus it keeps the site busy, which makes me happy.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (11-25-2010),MarkC (11-25-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I remember back in the days before video the feeling of anticipation when coming to class to learn a new technique. Other then seeing some of the more advanced students work out, every technique was somewhat of a surprise, a totally new experience! I seems that due to the mass video age that "feeling of anticipation and excitement" is gone from the art forever. In many cases the students attempt to teach themselves before the instructor feels they are ready for new material, just because they can find the technique somewhere on youtube.. I feel the good side is the reference benefits of video, but if for lack of experience a new student chooses to follow one of these new age masters, he gets a totally wrong impression of the art. A videotaped private lesson with your instructor is worth its weight in gold, I have no doubt about that, as well as video playback to cleanup your technique or form. Not that I do a lot of searching, but I still get a sick feeling in my gut when I see so many speaking with authority and posting very poor examples or our art...... But that is the age we live in!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 392 For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (11-25-2010),J Ellis (11-25-2010)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links