Thread: What's acceptable and not when commenting?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,583 Times in 2,189 Posts

Default Re: Tracy's karate short form 3.

Bob posted these videos, not the guy in them, in order to populate an area that has a great deal of potential. If there's a better video out there of Short Form 3, or any other form that has been put in the video section, I'm sure Bob would be pleased. Rule number two for this section:

2- Comments are fine, but keep it polite. No critiques unless asked for.

Pretty straightforward. I think it would be great if somebody has a video of themselves that they would like to post and have it commented on. It's a great way for everybody to learn but this is not one of those times.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

KirkS (07-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 552 Posts

Just wondering abou this. So, if I linked a total bogus video here, nobody would be allowed to say it's bogus?
    Even YouTube allows it's members to rate and comment.

Anyway, back to the video at hand:
    Could somebody explain the reasoning behind the stances with the "springy knees" to me? Also with some of the hand movements I have problems visualizing the purpose. They seem to differ from the the targets and angles I got taught, so I'd like to know more.
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Just wondering abou this. So, if I linked a total bogus video here, nobody would be allowed to say it's bogus?
    Even YouTube allows it's members to rate and comment.

Anyway, back to the video at hand:
    Could somebody explain the reasoning behind the stances with the "springy knees" to me? Also with some of the hand movements I have problems visualizing the purpose. They seem to differ from the the targets and angles I got taught, so I'd like to know more.
    The purpose of this section isn't to turn a video into a "flame fest". There are plenty of forums out there to accomplish that. In the situation where comments are desirable, the goal is to still keep the conversation civil. All while trying to absolutely minimize the amount of moderation by the staff.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (09-17-2012)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

With all due respect, you didn't answer Lenny's question. Apparently, only nicey-nice comments are allowed in this section even if the "performer" violates rules of motion, posture, timing, focus, angles, targeting, and can't even get the salute right, we're to keep quiet? He's wearing a black belt for crying out loud. We're talking a combat form, not a dance routine. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Mr. Hubbard's work, but don't expect everyone to nod and smile with every post. (Although I did laugh out loud at the Long form one version) That's my two cents anyway, I don't care who doesn't like it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to robertk For This Useful Post:

nelson (07-10-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robertk View Post
    With all due respect, you didn't answer Lenny's question. Apparently, only nicey-nice comments are allowed in this section even if the "performer" violates rules of motion, posture, timing, focus, angles, targeting, and can't even get the salute right, we're to keep quiet? He's wearing a black belt for crying out loud. We're talking a combat form, not a dance routine. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Mr. Hubbard's work, but don't expect everyone to nod and smile with every post. (Although I did laugh out loud at the Long form one version) That's my two cents anyway, I don't care who doesn't like it.
    Understood. My position is this; this is a new section and it's still being fleshed out. All I can do at this point is go by the written rules. Bob will be able to give more guidance when he has a chance.

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Still fleshing things out, but lets try this approach.

No insults or cracks. Stuff like the 'stick it in comedy' aren't positive.

Instead, explain where your opinion on the execution differs from the presentation, and maybe include why.

Ergo: "Swings like a little drunk girl" is bad, "Strikes seem to lack intensity" is good.
    Make sense?

I'm not looking to stock a video area so we can all MST3K vids, though if anyone wants to post their own work up and allow open critiques, that does change things a bit. If the poster is the subject, and asks to be ripped apart, then as long as it's not a flame fest and pile on, it's probably cool.

Also, gonna move some posts fro here to the rules thread, just to smooth things a bit.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

ADMIN NOTE: Posts copied here to help work out what is and isn't acceptable when commenting on posted videos.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Floor opened to everyone to develop our guidelines for the area. Feel free to ask, suggest or comment.

Thanks

Just a gentle reminder that constructive criticism is much more preferred than outright character assassination. Correction, compliments, improvement suggestions are all good, but out right insults, shots, slings and barbs are not.
    Your cooperation in making this a respectable place for peer review and quality feedback is appreciated.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

Carol (07-10-2011),jdinca (07-10-2011),KirkS (07-10-2011),nelson (07-10-2011)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links