Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SCMKA

Thread: Santa Clara Kenpo Academy - Knife Training

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Santa Clara Kenpo Academy - Knife Training

Santa Clara Kenpo Academy is pleased to announce the addition of knife training to its curriculum. We teach the Salantri Tactical Knife System. This class is open to students 16 years and older. Mr. Mark Allen will be teaching the class on Mondays from 5:00 - 6:00 pm. The fee will be $10 per class but depending on the classes you are already registered for, discounts may apply.

www.santaclarakenpoacademy.com

www.patsalantri.com/stks.htm

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike450exc For This Useful Post:

John Brewer (01-28-2013),Kenposoldier01 (01-27-2013),KirkS (01-27-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 629 Posts

Default Re: Santa Clara Kenpo Academy - Knife Training

Can you tell us more about the knife system?

Don't be a tease..lol
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Thanks

Im with KirkS on this one, whats this knife system all about?

~Sami Ibrahim

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenposoldier01 For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-28-2013)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you both for the replies. I have an email out to the instructor, Mark Allen, for a little more detail on the system. I don't personally study the knife system (yet), but I have attended two Pat Salantri seminars, and can say that my impression is that in the early stages, it is very set and drill based, i.e. very hands on. I know that eventually they do a lot of knife sparring; meaning they put masks and wrist protectors on and knife-fight freestyle.

Our school is a "contact-school", so I'm sure Mr. Allen will keep it very practical and hands-on.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike450exc View Post
    Thank you both for the replies. I have an email out to the instructor, Mark Allen, for a little more detail on the system. I don't personally study the knife system (yet), but I have attended two Pat Salantri seminars, and can say that my impression is that in the early stages, it is very set and drill based, i.e. very hands on. I know that eventually they do a lot of knife sparring; meaning they put masks and wrist protectors on and knife-fight freestyle.

Our school is a "contact-school", so I'm sure Mr. Allen will keep it very practical and hands-on.

Thank you for posting Mike,

Here is what Sifu Pat Salantri has posted about the system he teachs: I believe the below description describes the system very well. If you have any questions please come by and try the class. Mondays 5 to 6 PM

The Salantri Tactical Knife System - STKS, is a methodology of teaching and understanding the blade. It takes the student through a progressive series of phases in using and defending against a bladed weapon. The student will learn grips, foot maneuvers, knife manipulations, flow drills, offensive and defensive knife tactics, stalemate fighting, anti-mugging techniques, ground techniques, combat sparring, open hand vs knife and knife vs knife. Bladed weapons have been used since the beginning of time, so it is understandable that one will notice similar universal knife motions that are found in various bladed arts from around the world. In training with numerous knife instructors and various knife systems, I understand the frustrations involved in studying a bladed art. I have taken material from each system and have systematically organized the phases. Taking a logical and progressive approach, students will learn without becoming frustrated or overburdened. The student will become as familiar as possible, both offensively and defensively, dealing with a knife. The chances of getting into a knife confrontation might be slim, but should the occasion arise, one will be prepared.

There are many different knife systems and knife instructors, each teaching from a different set of core values. The Salantri Tactical Knife System is just one such approach, but I believe is put together with sound tactics and ideas. The student will be taught a set methodology in understanding how to use and defend against a knife, and if the situation arises, to survive and win in a bladed attack.
    Berserker101 likes this.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCMKA For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-28-2013),KirkS (01-28-2013)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links