Thread: Help with EPAK in St. louis MO

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Help with EPAK in St. louis MO

Hi, I would like to continue my training in American Kenpo, but i can not seem to find a place near me to do so. it seems all that is in the area is Tracy's Kenpo. I am not saying anything is wrong with it I am sure it is very good, though it is really not what I was looking for. I do have an appointment to meet with an instructor there anyway this Thursday. I will maybe know more about if i will take classes there or not. I would even be willing to just practice with a fellow Kenpo student in the area. anyone know any options for me besides continuing on my own with dvd's and the memories from my former classes?

thanks

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Help with EPAK in St. louis MO

Well I am back from my free private class. it went ok i guess.... I am sure the instructor is a good guy and though I am now fairly sure Tracy's system is not for me. it may have just be the instructor everyone teaches different. I told him I had studied EPAK for a year at a school about 4 years ago and had since studied on my own. He did how ever do his best to convince me that my other instructor must have been a Tracy's student and was teaching me a watered down version of Chinese kenpo he kept saying oh wow he must have just took parts of things he liked and showed you that. he commented several times positive about my form and moment but again spent most of the time telling me my former teacher was a washout even though he did not ask who he was, and even though my former teacher and Larry tatum teach most of the moves the same way. I did not know Larry Tatum, Paul mills, Jeff Speakman, Jim Fredericks, and even Ed Parker were all washouts but I guess you learn something every day. simple things they all teach roughly the same are ALL WRONG and they know nothing but a watered down version passed on to them. Well maybe Tracy's is not for me and maybe it was the instructor. I do think I could learn some from him but if that means doing things I have learned was the wrong way to do them then no thanks. I will train solo until I can take the kenpo I was introduced and love.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I dont know which Tracy's Studio you went to, but there is an American Kenpo School in Crestwood. I dont know him or how good he is but I believe his name is Steve Robinson. Good Luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to osmas419 For This Useful Post:

smoore (04-15-2011)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

thanks, I saw them online but did not see anywhere what style it was, i figured another tracy's... and I did not call because it is about 45 mins away I had forgotten about them though so maybe i will give them a call thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smoore View Post
    Well I am back from my free private class. it went ok i guess.... I am sure the instructor is a good guy and though I am now fairly sure Tracy's system is not for me. it may have just be the instructor everyone teaches different. I told him I had studied EPAK for a year at a school about 4 years ago and had since studied on my own. He did how ever do his best to convince me that my other instructor must have been a Tracy's student and was teaching me a watered down version of Chinese kenpo he kept saying oh wow he must have just took parts of things he liked and showed you that. he commented several times positive about my form and moment but again spent most of the time telling me my former teacher was a washout even though he did not ask who he was, and even though my former teacher and Larry tatum teach most of the moves the same way. I did not know Larry Tatum, Paul mills, Jeff Speakman, Jim Fredericks, and even Ed Parker were all washouts but I guess you learn something every day. simple things they all teach roughly the same are ALL WRONG and they know nothing but a watered down version passed on to them. Well maybe Tracy's is not for me and maybe it was the instructor. I do think I could learn some from him but if that means doing things I have learned was the wrong way to do them then no thanks. I will train solo until I can take the kenpo I was introduced and love.
    That's unfortunate. You ran into the wrong instructor. Good luck with your search.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

are there any fellow Kenpoist in the St. charles MO area that just want to work out together? I would be happy with just some one to go over techniques with and thought there might be someone else looking for some practice too.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Well here it is another year has went buy and I still train solo.... Any one move to the area? my search continues......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 839 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smoore View Post
    Well here it is another year has went buy and I still train solo.... Any one move to the area? my search continues......
    Step 1, hook up with Theseminds, Rob

Step 2, Drive to Springfield.
    A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism. ~ Louis A. Berman

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eastcoastkenpoist For This Useful Post:

John Brewer (04-09-2012),Thesemindz (04-09-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastkenpoist View Post
    Step 1, hook up with Theseminds, Rob

Step 2, Drive to Springfield.
    Thanks.

Yah man, I'm down here in Springfield and I know lots of dudes doing kenpo in the area. Chinese Kenpo, American Kenpo, all different flavors. But we're all down here in Springfield man. You're welcome to come down and train any time. Hit me up and we'll figure something out. I don't really know anybody doing kenpo in St. Louis though. But I'm up there every once in a while, I have some family up there. If I'm in the area sometime maybe we can hook up, but that probably won't be any time soon. In the mean time, like I said, drop me a line if you want to come down to Springfield and do some kenpo.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesemindz For This Useful Post:

Eastcoastkenpoist (04-09-2012),John Brewer (04-09-2012)

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I know that when I went to st. Louis last year there was nothing in the phone book. I was there for a week & found nothing there. One would figure there would be someone but... This isn't like TKD. We are not on every corner. Then again, I don't advertise my teaching publicly. There could be people there only word of mouth will find them. That's how I'm found.
    You are not here to win friends. You are not here to look pretty. You are not here to stare at some chick's @ss. You know why you're here. And if you don't, then get the **** out because you're just taking up space......So SHUT up and TRAIN - Flex Mag.

`If you wish to get ahold of me please contact me at jhfarnsworth@yahoo.com.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jfarnsworth For This Useful Post:

Thesemindz (04-09-2012)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links