Thread: Kenpo in Houston?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Kenpo in Houston?

I might be relocating to Houston. Can anyone recommend a kenpo school in the north part of houston?

thanks

don
    Daffy, fighting with his $1.25 quarter staff : "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" (quarter staff bounces off log, bending his beak. He straightens it back to normal, and starts speaking to himself) "Something's amiss here... hmm, let me run through it. Ho, haha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust." (beak bends again) "Got it." (straightens beak, and starts his fighting moves again.) "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin!"

Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo in Houston?

funny...I'm from the Tomball area (north H-town suburb) and I cannot think of a single school that is still in operation from when I lived there so many years ago. Of course, that's when I trained in judo. New schools open up regularly but, don't tend to last very long...

Good luck in your search, sir. I'd be very interested in finding out where you land. I'll drop in next time I go to visit my family up there. :-)
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

what about Jason Bugg at Houston Kenpo?
    I do not know where it is in relation to where you are looking.
    I also do not know from first hand knowledge how good he is, but I have thoroughly enjoyed and found his insights over the internet to be good and worth reading and pondering.
    http://www.houstonkenpo.com/

if that doesn't help then I have no other ideas.
    Good luck in your search.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    what about Jason Bugg at Houston Kenpo?
    I do not know where it is in relation to where you are looking.
    I also do not know from first hand knowledge how good he is, but I have thoroughly enjoyed and found his insights over the internet to be good and worth reading and pondering.
    http://www.houstonkenpo.com/

if that doesn't help then I have no other ideas.
    Good luck in your search.
    Interesting. He mentions both John La Tourrette and Steve LaBounty in his lineage but no mention of Al Tracy.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    Interesting. He mentions both John La Tourrette and Steve LaBounty in his lineage but no mention of Al Tracy.
    I dont really know the history there well enough, but If both those men had left the Tracys and joined with Ed Parker then why would he have listed the Tracys?

I have people ahead of my in the tree that studied in the Tracy system for a period as well, but I dont list the Tracys and would never think of listing them since when I joined they ahd long since left the Tracys... /shrug.. not that I am against it.. I think of the people I absolutely know are still associated with the Tracys, Ted Sumner would be the only one I can think of off the top of my head that I wouldnt mind training with, and if I did I would then have no problem listing the Tracys in my lineage. Make sense?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

I dont really know the history there well enough, but If both those men had left the Tracys and joined with Ed Parker then why would he have listed the Tracys?

I have people ahead of my in the tree that studied in the Tracy system for a period as well, but I dont list the Tracys and would never think of listing them since when I joined they ahd long since left the Tracys... /shrug.. not that I am against it.. I think of the people I absolutely know are still associated with the Tracys, Ted Sumner would be the only one I can think of off the top of my head that I wouldnt mind training with, and if I did I would then have no problem listing the Tracys in my lineage. Make sense?
    I get that. Our school here does some older stuff that seems a bit "Tracy-ish", but don't really count Tracy's as part of the lineage, instead using the old NCKKA. Among other things.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

Thanks

Just curiosity on my part. You've got one of the Tracy's first BBs and an 8th degree under Tracy yet no mention is made. I have no qualms with them doing that and it certainly doesn't say anything about the quality. It was La Tourrette that caught my eye. I didn't know he received rank from Mr. Parker. Most lineages show Tracy between the two.

That said, there's quality in his background and I like what the website has to say. I would definitely give this school a look if I was there.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toejoe2k View Post
    funny...I'm from the Tomball area (north H-town suburb) and I cannot think of a single school that is still in operation from when I lived there so many years ago. Of course, that's when I trained in judo. New schools open up regularly but, don't tend to last very long...

Good luck in your search, sir. I'd be very interested in finding out where you land. I'll drop in next time I go to visit my family up there. :-)
    I hope to be hired on as a broadcast engineer with a radio station in the northeast. I'm just waiting for a call back. I'm looking at settling in the northeast/northwest. I don't want to drive more than 20 minutes to work if possible.

Looks like the city has a lot to offer. Hope to find out. Shame if I cant find a good school that doesn't break the bank.
    Daffy, fighting with his $1.25 quarter staff : "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" (quarter staff bounces off log, bending his beak. He straightens it back to normal, and starts speaking to himself) "Something's amiss here... hmm, let me run through it. Ho, haha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust." (beak bends again) "Got it." (straightens beak, and starts his fighting moves again.) "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin!"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I'll have to check them out. Interesting they mention Kenpo/IMUA. I've been doing a little IMUA for the last year, but stopped since my son was born.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to don bohrer For This Useful Post:

jdinca (04-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by don bohrer View Post
    I'll have to check them out. Interesting they mention Kenpo/IMUA. I've been doing a little IMUA for the last year, but stopped since my son was born.
    If you check out the school Don, please let us know what you find.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

A UKF school just opened up in Woodland ( apparently just morth of Houston ).

Here's the link http://www.modernamericanwarrior.com/
    Dave Strobel
    Minnesota Kenpo Karate Studio
    www.mnkenpo.com
    Parker / Furuya
    Lineage

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    If you check out the school Don, please let us know what you find.
    Hey.... I can be the new SISKEL and EBERT of martial arts in houston! LOL.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to don bohrer For This Useful Post:

jdinca (04-02-2011)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links