Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still looking for EPAK in Arizona

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Still looking for EPAK in Arizona

Here's my problem, I've googled just about every phrase I can think of and I can't seem to find a good EPAK studio on my side of the East Valley.

I live in the Queen Creek/Gilbert side of town and know there of plenty of krotty McDojo's around the area but no place where I would seriously consider to train. I came across some instructors who I know are part of the Parker lineage and that would be Conatser and Tomson, but they are clear on the other side of town in the N. Phoenix and/or Scottsdale area.

I really don't want to commute that far 2-3 days a week, it would probably start to become a grind after awhile.

Are there any word of mouth instructors in my area who may even possibly teach out of their own house? Or any studios in the area I might have missed? I've found some links but they are dead or phone numbers that have changed.

Any help would be nice..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Still looking for EPAK in Arizona

Have really become such a micro-wave instant gratification society that people are not willing to drive across side of the city? I used to drive an hour each way through a snow belt twice a week for lessons. My instructor used to drive 3 hours each way twice a week for his lessons. If you value the training then you will make the drive, if you don't see the value of driving across the city then maybe you should consider needle point or something else equally stimulating.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

amylong (11-16-2010),J Ellis (10-31-2010),JamesB (10-31-2010),MarkC (10-31-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 966 Posts

I'll second what Rob said. I've found that good instruction is hard to find and worth traveling to obtain. It all depends on what you are looking for. You have schools close to you, but you want a higher level of instruction. That usually means a greater investment and sacrifice. I've driven past a lot of schools in my life to work under the people I knew could help me improve.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

"This whole thing is about balance and timing." -- Damon Excell

If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones.

If it is important, do it every day. If it is not important, don’t do it at all. (Dan Gable’s coaching philosophy)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Ellis For This Useful Post:

amylong (11-16-2010),jadewolf3 (10-31-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I've never had the pleasure of stepping on the mat with Mr. Conatser, but judging by what I've experienced of him on here, he is worth the hour drive a few times a week. You'd get more out of one session there, than 100 sessions at some McDojo.
    Jeff Magoni

"When pure knuckles meet pure flesh...that's pure karate" - SGM Parker

"Survival is about dominating those who threaten you. So you can't think like you're going to fight them. You have to immediately dominate or destroy them to truly survive" - Larry Wick

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Now, do you get Fries with that, at a McDojo?

Thanks

When I used to live in Springerville, AZ, I use to drive to PHX just to do my lessons. There is a lot of EPAK in your area. Keep asking around.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aspenrebel View Post
    Now, do you get Fries with that, at a McDojo?
    Fries and a toy.
    Jeff Magoni

"Survival is about dominating those who threaten you. So you can't think like you're going to fight them. You have to immediately dominate or destroy them to truly survive" - Larry Wick

Thanks

Way to jump on a new poster guys. I've got something like 120,000 miles driven for my kenpo lessons over the past 13 years, and something not quite as ridiculous for my kali training, and yet I totally get the original poster's question. Can he find a "good" dojo on his side of town? I've met Mr. Conatser a couple of times and he seems like a damn good instructor, thats great, the original poster was looking for a good option a bit more convenient to himself. If I can get twice as many hours on the mat with a good instructor it is probably better than half as many hours under a slightly better instructor. Cripes, this is almost as pleasant as the KenpoNet.
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Carol (11-10-2010),HKphooey (11-01-2010),robertk (11-01-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erich63 View Post
    Here's my problem, I've googled just about every phrase I can think of and I can't seem to find a good EPAK studio on my side of the East Valley.

I live in the Queen Creek/Gilbert side of town and know there of plenty of krotty McDojo's around the area but no place where I would seriously consider to train. I came across some instructors who I know are part of the Parker lineage and that would be Conatser and Tomson, but they are clear on the other side of town in the N. Phoenix and/or Scottsdale area.

I really don't want to commute that far 2-3 days a week, it would probably start to become a grind after awhile.

Are there any word of mouth instructors in my area who may even possibly teach out of their own house? Or any studios in the area I might have missed? I've found some links but they are dead or phone numbers that have changed.

Any help would be nice..
    Welcome to KT....

Not directing this at you, but more of an open question (I assume you have already trained in EPAK and know what to look for in a teacher/school). Good luck with your search.
    How does one know a school is a McDojo? Because it is a chain? Because they have a demo team? Because they are wearing flashing gi’s? Brown belt is teaching class?
    I always wonder how someone can make that determination by driving by a school or stopping in to watch one class. I agree they are too many McDojo’s out there, but I think the term is thrown out there too quickly.
    Some owners are selling what people are buying. If there is a market for it and you are looking to run a business, then that is product you will present. Now that does not mean that owner/instructor does not know his material nor is a bad teacher. He may teach an entirely different curriculum to a student that he sees wants to learn more. Sound familiar? It’s called Commercial Kenpo! Is Commercial Kenpo bad? Some will say yes. Was GM Parker wrong for marketing American Kenpo that way? Again, some will say that was major fault of his. I think it was ingenious way to get his kenpo out there and to find students worthy of the next level.
    So my question is… why can’t anyone else use this business model?
    I think one should always try to take 4-5 classes before passing judgment on a school or instructor. Also, talk to the owner/instructor and voice your McDojo concerns. If he truly is a McDojo, then he will be offended. J If he begins to explain his teaching methods and explains that he also trains people privately, he may be worth a try.
    And keep in mind, just because someone trained with GM Parker, does not make them a great teacher.
    I hope you find what you are looking for! Thanks for joing us on KT.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HKphooey For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (11-01-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

It's pretty easy to spot a McDojo, or incompetent school, that should be avoided at all costs. Extensive or expensive contracts are a first. Anyone teaching something legitimate that will have someone coming back for more, doesn't need a contract to keep you, or more importantly to them, your money around. Go to a class and watch the students, especially the upper ranks. See how they perform, watch the instructor and observe how he conducts class. Most importantly, get on the mat and take at least 3-4 classes before you pass total judgement. Instructors are not created equal, neither are students. I don't think a good instructor will teach a different curriculum to each particular student, but perhaps each student will only absorb so much of the curriculum being taught.
    Jeff Magoni

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkside For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (11-01-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Jeff Speakman 5.0 Surprise AZ
    11294 W. Bell Road, Suite 105
    Bell Mar Plaza
    Surprise, ARIZONA 85374 US still to far!

Jeff Speakmans Kenpo 5.0 Training Center
    20924 N John Wayne Pkwy
    Inside The Fitness Center
    Maricopa, AZ 85239 US a little closer!

Jeff Speakman's Kenpo Karate- Tempe
    Address: locations serving the Phoenix / Tempe area. Please call for info.
    Phone Number: 707-496-3504
    Head Instructor / Rank: Dan Pribble, 2nd Degree Black Belt
    Style: Ed Parker's American Kenpo
    Assocations: AKKS

http://www.kenponet.com/studionet/us...z_phoenix.html

Hope this helps!! I agree with the "McDojo's" they are a "dime a dozen!"
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Nothing personal, HK, but I would never go to a school that uses "flashing gi's". That just sounds.......wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robertk View Post
    Nothing personal, HK, but I would never go to a school that uses "flashing gi's". That just sounds.......wrong.
    Darn spellcheck on my droid! lol
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HKphooey For This Useful Post:

robertk (11-01-2010)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Good gawd, let's not everyone pick on the new guy now...

Didn't think a simple question would lead to this! It's not like I came in here with my first post and said that, "Wing Chun sucks", or something similar...lol

But seriously, yes, I want to find EPAK relatively close to me. Reason being is that other commitments and priorities require that I do so. So, as important
    as it is to find a good instructor of Parker lineage, at this time I can not place it that high on my priority list to drive clear on the other side of the East Valley.

Which I means I might have to settle, but there is nothing quite like EPAK. Matter of fact there are at least 2 very good Kajukenpo schools close to me, but I'm not a Kaju guy.
    Thank you for any and all replies, my search continues!

Thanks

Good gawd, let's not everyone pick on the new guy now...

Didn't think a simple question would lead to this! It's not like I came in here with my first post and said that, "Wing Chun sucks", or something similar...lol

But seriously, yes, I want to find EPAK relatively close to me. Reason being is that other commitments and priorities require that I do so. So, as important
    as it is to find a good instructor of Parker lineage, at this time I can not place it that high on my priority list to drive clear on the other side of the East Valley.

Which I means I might have to settle, but there is nothing quite like EPAK. Matter of fact there are at least 2 very good Kajukenpo schools close to me, but I'm not a Kaju guy.
    Thank you for any and all replies, my search continues!
    Wasn't trying to give you a hard time. just glad you joined us.

www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hang in there. I would at least recommend hooking up with Mr. Conatser whenever possible. Maybe see if he recommends someone near you he's connected with or knows their background. My old instructor in Mt. Vernon, Ohio used to drive to Chicago once a month to get a lesson from his teacher. And stay away from flashing gi's. (I know HK, a typo, but I just couldn't help it!) I'd be checking out the Speakman stuff too.

Thanks

I live in the Queen Creek/Gilbert side of town and know there of plenty of crotty McDojo's around the area but no place where I would seriously consider to train. I came across some instructors who I know are part of the Parker lineage and that would be Conatser and Thomson, but they are clear on the other side of town in the N. Phoenix and/or Scottsdale area.

Any help would be nice..
    If you get the chance to train with Mr. Thompson, I would definitely recommend it. I try to pick his brain whenever there's an AKKI camp or seminar. A training partner and myself actually flew down to Phoenix once just to train with him. Great guy, great instructor. He is one of Mr. Mills' top guys and goes way back to Mr. Parker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

Any help would be nice..
    Any luck yet? Have you ever trained before or looking to start?

Master Fred DePalma is out your way. I know he has a franchise, but don't hold the fact he likes to make money, against him. We all all want money! Not sure if he is teaching privates, but back in the day, he hosted 4-5 Parker seminars in Connecticut and taught a solid curriculum. I trained under one of his 4th black belt instructors, but would spar at his school from time to time (always enjoyed sparring with him). He trained under Professor Silva (how you will see in vintage video clips with EP from time to time). He was in the Marines (were I believe he sparred for them, too). He truly enjoys the martial arts world and has done a lot to help promote it in Arizona. He has helped a lot of kids become a positive influence in the community and helped many individuals grow into careers in the martial arts.

Again, not sure what he is up to these days and whether he is teaching private lessons. Cannot hurt to try.

www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HKphooey View Post
    Any luck yet? Have you ever trained before or looking to start?

Master Fred DePalma is out your way. I know he has a franchise, but don't hold the fact he likes to make money, against him. We all all want money! Not sure if he is teaching privates, but back in the day, he hosted 4-5 Parker seminars in Connecticut and taught a solid curriculum. I trained under one of his 4th black belt instructors, but would spar at his school from time to time (always enjoyed sparring with him). He trained under Professor Silva (how you will see in vintage video clips with EP from time to time). He was in the Marines (were I believe he sparred for them, too). He truly enjoys the martial arts world and has done a lot to help promote it in Arizona. He has helped a lot of kids become a positive influence in the community and helped many individuals grow into careers in the martial arts.

Again, not sure what he is up to these days and whether he is teaching private lessons. Cannot hurt to try.
    Right. Never heard of depalma until I moved to Arizona. Here is one of his black belts. Any thoughts, opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNSmLXWOXHg

Thanks

If you cannot find EPAK we have a Kara-Ho school in the Phoenix area, it is run by Grandmaster Sam Kuoha.
    The above is just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links