Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still looking for EPAK in Arizona

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Still looking for EPAK in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    If you cannot find EPAK we have a Kara-Ho school in the Phoenix area, it is run by Grandmaster Sam Kuoha.
    Nice. Do you have a URL for the school or any info? You can PM me if you want

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

This whole situation is truly becoming disgusting. This country is turning into a haven for McDojo's. Every martial arts school offering watered down curriculum to appeal to the masses, people who can't fight and just want ego boosting. It seems like every schools web site is splashed with children everywhere, pictures galleries with sleepovers and summer camps.

Where the **** are the hardcore schools that cater to adults? Is Kiddy Krotty all that's left? Admit it Grand Master Poobah, your bread and butter is Kiddy Krotty, churn out 15 yo black belts and keep the $$$ flowing in.

To top off this whole mess, I come across this guy here in Arizona that claims to be a GM under William KS Chow, but he has absolutely has no proof of rank such as certification and no one has even heard of the guy. This is coming from the Hawaiian Kenpo/Kaju people. Then I found a Kaju school in Mesa that charges $150 per month and you only have 2 classes per week, kiss my *** on that.

When I look at a guy like Mr. Steven Rigitano, that's the type of guy I'd like to train with.

Matter of fact, I'm going to provide a link below to help other people in identifying a McDojo, knowledge is power!

http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/
    Last edited by erich63; 11-15-2010 at 12:25 AM.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erich63 View Post
    This whole situation is truly becoming disgusting. This country is turning into a haven for McDojo's. Every martial arts school offering watered down curriculum to appeal to the masses, people who can't fight and just want ego boosting. It seems like every schools web site is splashed with children everywhere, pictures galleries with sleepovers and summer camps.

Where the **** are the hardcore schools that cater to adults? Is Kiddy Krotty all that's left? Admit it Grand Master Poobah, your bread and butter is Kiddy Krotty, churn out 15 yo black belts and keep the $$$ flowing in.

To top off this whole mess, I come across this guy here in Arizona that claims to be a GM under William KS Chow, but he has absolutely has no proof of rank such as certification and no one has even heard of the guy. This is coming from the Hawaiian Kenpo/Kaju people. Then I found a Kaju school in Mesa that charges $150 per month and you only have 2 classes per week, kiss my *** on that.

When I look at a guy like Mr. Steven Rigitano, that's the type of guy I'd like to train with.
    Why don't you e-mail Mr. Conatser? I know it's an hour drive and you don't want to do that every week, but I'd rather receive infrequent training with a meaningful teacher, than frequent training with an incompetent milk-dud. It's worth a shot. I mean, what do you really have to lose?
    Jeff Magoni

"When pure knuckles meet pure flesh...that's pure karate" - SGM Parker

"Survival is about dominating those who threaten you. So you can't think like you're going to fight them. You have to immediately dominate or destroy them to truly survive" - Larry Wick

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

erich63,

Hello, my name is Mannie Romeo and I teach a Kenpo class out of Michael Westbrook Self-Defense Academy in Gilbert, AZ. Please stop in, we always let people try out a class at no cost. You can get more info at www.kenpo3g.com. You can see me and some of the other instuctors competing in various disciplines/tournaments at the following link, so I hope that will answer the McDojo question. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9uUV9RCEuU

Take care and hope to see you soon.

-Mannie

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mannie View Post
    erich63,

Hello, my name is Mannie Romeo and I teach a Kenpo class out of Michael Westbrook Self-Defense Academy in Gilbert, AZ. Please stop in, we always let people try out a class at no cost. You can get more info at www.kenpo3g.com. You can see me and some of the other instuctors competing in various disciplines/tournaments at the following link, so I hope that will answer the McDojo question. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9uUV9RCEuU

Take care and hope to see you soon.

-Mannie
    that answers nothing..
    all it did was show that Michael Westbrook is a BJJ and MMA fighter... looks like he is pretty decent at it too, but I think the guy was looking at Kenpo instruction, not BJJ or MMA.. so why not post a video of Kenpo?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

It appears Mr. Romero received his black from Mr.Mike Pick, a first generation black belt under Mr. Parker, and a scary guy from what I've heard. Definitely in the kenpo "who's who" category.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

LuckyKboxer,

That video is just a highlight of all the instructors from the Academy, and yes there is a lot of MMA and BJJ in the video, as that is a big part of the Academy, as well as a big part of my training. Michael Westbrook is my BJJ teammate as well as my Kenpo student, he just got promoted to yellow belt and is working on his orange. If you look at about the 6:00 minute mark that is me defending the Southwest International Championship belt, if you look at 6:45 you can see the knockout when I won the belt using Kenpo.

Yes I recieved my black belt from Mr Pick in 1994. I'm a Nova Uniao Brown Belt in BJJ, under Gustavo Dantas. My Muay Thai is under Bob Karmel. People who are familiar with BJJ and Muay Thai will recongnize that all my instructors are 'who's who's' category in their respective arts. My style of Kenpo which I call Kenpo 3G (3rd Generation) is a fusion of these arts. I hope anyone in the Gilbert, AZ interested in Kenpo will swing by and try a class.

Regards,

Mannie

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

From the sound of things, there are some top-notch people to train with in that area. I don't see what the problem would be considering the choices especially with Mr. Conatser in the mix. Nice ko by the way, Mannie

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mannie View Post
    LuckyKboxer,

That video is just a highlight of all the instructors from the Academy, and yes there is a lot of MMA and BJJ in the video, as that is a big part of the Academy, as well as a big part of my training. Michael Westbrook is my BJJ teammate as well as my Kenpo student, he just got promoted to yellow belt and is working on his orange. If you look at about the 6:00 minute mark that is me defending the Southwest International Championship belt, if you look at 6:45 you can see the knockout when I won the belt using Kenpo.

Yes I recieved my black belt from Mr Pick in 1994. I'm a Nova Uniao Brown Belt in BJJ, under Gustavo Dantas. My Muay Thai is under Bob Karmel. People who are familiar with BJJ and Muay Thai will recongnize that all my instructors are 'who's who's' category in their respective arts. My style of Kenpo which I call Kenpo 3G (3rd Generation) is a fusion of these arts. I hope anyone in the Gilbert, AZ interested in Kenpo will swing by and try a class.

Regards,

Mannie
    Interesting. when you say Kenpo 3G being a fusion of those arts can you expand on that a bit.
    I am actually a Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Nelson Monteiro in the Gracie Barra organization and my Muay thai training was under Melchor Menor, sound like a similar fight background to what you have.
    I have met and worked with Mr. Pick, I am curious if you got a chance to go very deep into the knife system he has?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    Interesting. when you say Kenpo 3G being a fusion of those arts can you expand on that a bit.
    I am actually a Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Nelson Monteiro in the Gracie Barra organization and my Muay thai training was under Melchor Menor, sound like a similar fight background to what you have.
    I have met and worked with Mr. Pick, I am curious if you got a chance to go very deep into the knife system he has?
    We do have a very similiar background. When I talk about Kenpo 3G fusing these arts is that, at least in my training, that I never found Kenpo or BJJ or Muay Thai to every be contradictory to one another. Each art seemed to fill the holes of the other and so they complemented each other. Kenpo was great at Self Defense and the fighting principles/theories spot on. BJJ has the ground fighting techniques, strategy, and also its training methods. Muay Thai is very technical and brings with it the standup training methods. I try to think of each art as a transparent sheet and when you lay one on top of the other you have the self-defense, striking, submissions, and the training methods.

Mr Pick with the knife is on another level. I started training with him as a brown belt in 1989 and got my black belt in 1994, and the knife was always an important part. There was a 'Lance' version to most of the techniques, so returning storm, would turn into returning lance, glancing salute, would be glancing lance, etc. I haven't worked out with him for a while so I'm sure the knife system has progressed far from what I was doing with him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links