Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Christian Kenpo Fellowship - New Organization/Ministry!

Christopher Stewart is offline Always Learning!
    Thanks

Exclamation Christian Kenpo Fellowship - New Organization/Ministry!

Announcing a new division of Karate for Christ International:

The Christian Kenpo Fellowship

www.christiankenpofellowship.com

The Christian Kenpo Fellowship is a branch of Karate for Christ International
    focused on fulfilling their role as leaders within the Kenpo community.

We accomplish this task through the embodiment of Godly values:
    integrity, respect, trustworthiness, and being of good reputation.
    With these character values at the front of their ministry,
    Christian Kenpo Fellowship Members will harness respect and
    integrity into studios, seminars, tournaments, and gatherings
    within the community to fulfill their mission:
    “…to seek and to save what was lost” Luke 19:10 NIV.

CKF_Logo_4.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christopher Stewart For This Useful Post:

ATACX GYM (03-16-2013),nelson (03-27-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 844 Posts

Default Re: Christian Kenpo Fellowship - New Organization/Ministry!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stewart View Post
    Announcing a new division of Karate for Christ International:

The Christian Kenpo Fellowship

www.christiankenpofellowship.com

The Christian Kenpo Fellowship is a branch of Karate for Christ International
    focused on fulfilling their role as leaders within the Kenpo community.

We accomplish this task through the embodiment of Godly values:
    integrity, respect, trustworthiness, and being of good reputation.
    With these character values at the front of their ministry,
    Christian Kenpo Fellowship Members will harness respect and
    integrity into studios, seminars, tournaments, and gatherings
    within the community to fulfill their mission:
    “…to seek and to save what was lost” Luke 19:10 NIV.

CKF_Logo_4.jpg
    I know Chris personally. This guy is a straight up quality human being, who is absolutely dedicated to the dessimination of the martial arts. If he's part of an endeavor or launches an endeavor? It's a quality endeavor. And almost every single quality Kenpo senior here [ including both Docs ] know Chris and have held seminars at his place. Good job, man. Keep it coming!

Let me know when you throw your first tournies...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATACX GYM For This Useful Post:

DirtyIrish (03-29-2013),Thesemindz (03-28-2013)

Thanks

wow....I can hear the crickets!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher Stewart For This Useful Post:

ATACX GYM (03-27-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 552 Posts

Kenpo is Kenpo.

I don't think it's a good idea to limit a martial art (or anything else) to a race, gender, religion, political views, philosophical views or level of education. It's about getting together, not separation.

For me an organisation like this makes as much sense as a "Kenpo Followship for people with glasses" or the "kenpo organisation for people with imaginary friends", or other discriminating factors. What about a fellowship for lefthanders? Redhaired people? Gentlemen?
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,465 Times in 2,107 Posts

Default Christian Kenpo Fellowship - New Organization/Ministry!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Kenpo is Kenpo.

I don't think it's a good idea to limit a martial art (or anything else) to a race, gender, religion, political views, philosophical views or level of education. It's about getting together, not separation.

For me an organisation like this makes as much sense as a "Kenpo Followship for people with glasses" or the "kenpo organisation for people with imaginary friends", or other discriminating factors. What about a fellowship for lefthanders? Redhaired people? Gentlemen?
    You're nothing if not consistent, Lenny.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks

Is that good or bad?
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenny For This Useful Post:

jdinca (03-19-2013)

Thanks

Is that good or bad?
    Yes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Lenny (03-19-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ATACX GYM View Post
    I know Chris personally. This guy is a straight up quality human being, who is absolutely dedicated to the dessimination of the martial arts. If he's part of an endeavor or launches an endeavor? It's a quality endeavor. And almost every single quality Kenpo senior here [ including both Docs ] know Chris and have held seminars at his place. Good job, man. Keep it coming!

Let me know when you throw your first tournies...

Thanks Prof. Ras,

I am trying not to showboat or to drop names to promote this new organization.
    I will let the organizations deeds and reputation speak for itself.

Chris

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher Stewart For This Useful Post:

ATACX GYM (03-27-2013)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

To each their own. Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stewart View Post
    Thanks Prof. Ras,

I am trying not to showboat or to drop names to promote this new organization.
    I will let the organizations deeds and reputation speak for itself.

Chris
    What are the goals of this organisation? And have you considered to use a more catchy slogan? Like "an eye poke for an eye poke" or "we only turn the other cheek to scoop while covering out"?
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenny For This Useful Post:

ATACX GYM (03-27-2013)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Kenpo is Kenpo.

I'm inclined to agree. If such were in my area, I never join because the agenda is more than kenpo, and the group would be short another willing body. But to Lenny's point, we'd never promote kenpo along lines of race (the formation of the BKF was an exception, growing out of a legitimate civil rights initiative at the time), but for whatever reason religion is seen as an acceptable grouping strategy. But, its America, and we should celebrate the ability to do such things.

Salud.
    "Exercise is bunk. If you're healthy, you don't need it. If you're sick, you shouldn't do it." - Sam Clemens

"Ok...so do that again. But this time don't suck". - An admired kenpo teacher

Thanks

If a religious group wants to start a martial arts organization in this country, it's well within their right to do so. We do still have some freedom left.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

ATACX GYM (03-27-2013),Bob Hubbard (03-28-2013),KenpoGhost (03-28-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,258 Posts

Kenpo has a tent big enough for everyone of all religious faiths or no faiths at all. The words of an old Bob Dylan song come to mind, "Why criticise what you don't understand?"

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

DirtyIrish (03-29-2013),KenpoGhost (03-28-2013)

Thanks

Let's see, we have a religion that has a history of violence and that is working hard (and has always been working hard) to stop intellectual progress. You know, the people that decided to burn people at the stake for saying things like "other suns might have planets as well" and "I think the earth revolves around the sun".
    A religion that that actively protects child molesters, is against equal rights for men and women, and don't get me started about all the stuff that's regulated in the bible (incest, rape and slavery would be the most obvious things).
    A religion that most people have turned in their heads into something completely different (basically a mix of some stuff from the bible mixed with western values like democracy and the idea of not being an ass).
    The less people stick to this religion, the nicer they normally are. These are those who believe in a "heavenly father" and that everything is going to be well if they are nice to other people. I like that kind a lot. Lots of my friend belong to that group.
    But the more people stick to the actual teachings of the bible (what's actually written in the clerical texts, as apposed to what we today think the basic ideas are), the scarier it gets.

And if such a religion starts to exclude people from sports (no non-christians allowed here, sorry), I wonder.

If it's about self help ( I feel guilty because I actively practice to kill, maim and hurt instead of going a way of non-violence like the bearded guy said) and not an actual training group, no problem with that. That's why I was asking what the goals are.

How to put it... I have no problems with a an organisation for christian bus drivers, for example. I would not like to see a buses that are only for christians and exclude all the other believes.
    Because I don't like exclusion and prefer getting together. Exchanging ideas. Not an in-breeding of more of the same ideas. Esp. if these ideas are based on a stone-age view of the world.
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenny For This Useful Post:

MrBunny (10-05-2015)

Thesemindz is offline Wave Man
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 907 Posts

Now hold on. I understand that people have issues with Christianity specifically and religion in general. And I understand why. But Chris is a good dude. I've had him in my home, and he's introduced me to a lot of other good hearted martial artists. To my knowledge he's not excluding non-Christians and I have NEVER seen him discriminate against another person for their beliefs. He's starting a club for people of a like mind. There's nothing wrong with that. Whether or not you share his beliefs, he's a good guy with a good heart who's trying to do a good thing. There's no need to beat him up for it. Participate or not, that's your choice. But I've never seen a mean bone in Chris, and I expect he'll do a lot of good with his new group. Both inside and outside his own particular faith tradition.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thesemindz For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (03-28-2013),DirtyIrish (03-29-2013),KenpoGhost (03-28-2013),nelson (03-28-2013)

Thanks

Let's see, we have a religion that has a history of violence and that is working hard (and has always been working hard) to stop intellectual progress. You know, the people that decided to burn people at the stake for saying things like "other suns might have planets as well" and "I think the earth revolves around the sun".
    A religion that that actively protects child molesters, is against equal rights for men and women, and don't get me started about all the stuff that's regulated in the bible (incest, rape and slavery would be the most obvious things).
    A religion that most people have turned in their heads into something completely different (basically a mix of some stuff from the bible mixed with western values like democracy and the idea of not being an ass).
    The less people stick to this religion, the nicer they normally are. These are those who believe in a "heavenly father" and that everything is going to be well if they are nice to other people. I like that kind a lot. Lots of my friend belong to that group.
    But the more people stick to the actual teachings of the bible (what's actually written in the clerical texts, as apposed to what we today think the basic ideas are), the scarier it gets.

And if such a religion starts to exclude people from sports (no non-christians allowed here, sorry), I wonder.

If it's about self help ( I feel guilty because I actively practice to kill, maim and hurt instead of going a way of non-violence like the bearded guy said) and not an actual training group, no problem with that. That's why I was asking what the goals are.

How to put it... I have no problems with a an organisation for christian bus drivers, for example. I would not like to see a buses that are only for christians and exclude all the other believes.
    Because I don't like exclusion and prefer getting together. Exchanging ideas. Not an in-breeding of more of the same ideas. Esp. if these ideas are based on a stone-age view of the world.
    And this is not the place for that discussion.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (03-28-2013),KenpoGhost (03-28-2013)

Thanks

Agreed. I just asked what his motivations are. Whether he wants to create a self-help group (on the other hand, while Christianity has issues with violence, Christens more often then not don't have this problem, so this might be a non-issue), or an exclusive circle of warriors under the cross, or what ever.

Because, as I said in my first post, I don't see a reason for a Christian Kenpo Organisation.
    As I don't see a reason for a Kenpo Organisation for people who believe in Astrology.
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,152 Posts

Painting all Christians with the wide brush of the sins of a small number is as bad as saying kenpo makes you fat because the higher your rank the longer the belt. We all know the latter isn't really true. Regardless however, KenpoTalk isn't the place for a deep debate on the pros and cons of any faith. Visit MartialTalk's Study and you'll find that and more.

Faith/religion is a core part of a lot of arts. While I'm not a Christian myself, I am an ordained minister. I have no problem with someone seeking to combine a positive martial art such as Kenpo with the positive affirmations of a faith such as Christianity. How about rather than be critical of that idea, we discuss the goals and whatnot of the organization, or just wish Chris luck with it?

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

DirtyIrish (03-29-2013),KenpoGhost (03-28-2013),Thesemindz (03-28-2013)

Thanks

Luck for what?
    That was the main question before the thread got side tracked. Still not sure why there is a need for a [belief system of choice] kenpo organisation, or what the agenda of such an organisation might be.

( and when it comes to the sins... simply listing the sins and evil stuff in the bible committed in the name of/ by the Christian god (child murder, rape, genocide, slavery and the list could go on) is quite long. Then looking at history to see what Christian controlled societies tend to evolve to gives you a good idea of what happens. And if one cannot use the pope as an example for a "Christian"... just saying. )

If a religious group wants to start a martial arts organization in this country, it's well within their right to do so.

Yep. And now think about what would happen if your country would be Christian. Then remember the big rule #1 of the Christian god ( "no other gods" ) and say good bye to that freedom. Then you need to say good-bye to equal rights for women as well. You would get slavery back.

That's why I am a bit worried. Will women in that organisation be allowed? Allowed to speak? To teach? Fundamental Christians have pretty creepy ideas and values (IMO).
    Will they stage tournaments against other religions? Kenpo crusades?

As I said, I'm really not sure what the goals of such an organisation might be.

殺意の忍者猿コーディング

The Last Legionary is offline I Can Haz BanHammer?
    Thanks

Well, I'm sure he won't follow your countries example and round up all the kung fu folks and put them in gas chambers.

How about you take this for what it is, a moderator warning, and cut the attacks on Christian folk? The Boss In General, Special High Intensity Training, said this wasn't the place for that crap.
    I Can Haz BanHammer? Please! Give me the Banhammer! I can fights the stupids with the power of the hammerz!
    All warfare is based on deception.
    nemo malus felix

“Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless” Gustave Flaubert

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Last Legionary For This Useful Post:

jdinca (03-28-2013),Thesemindz (03-28-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links