Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doc

Thread: February 2019 TOM - Sword of Destruction

Thanks
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 624 Posts

Default February 2019 TOM - Sword of Destruction

Sword of Destruction
    Front left straight or roundhouse punch

1. Standing naturally, step back with your left foot toward 6:00 into a neutralbow stance (facing 12:00), as you simultaneously execute a left inward parrywith a right extended outward block to the inner forearm of your opponent'sleft punch. Your left hand should be in a positional check directly opposite ofyour opponent's right hand.

2. Immediately slide your right foot back into a trasitional 45-degree catstance to create distance and proper body alignment.

3. Without hesitation, deliver a right front snap kick to your opponent's groin(This should cause him to bend forward at the waist).

4. While planting your right foot forward, inside of your opponent's left leg,and into a right neutral bow stance (facing 12:00), employ the principal ofMarriage of Gravity as you execute a right inward hand sword strike to the leftside of your opponent's neck.

5. Right front cross-over and cover out toward 7:30.

o
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: February 2019 TOM - Sword of Destruction

I prefer to step back to about 7:30 rather than straight back, for two reasons:

1. It dissipates the force of the adversary's roundhouse punch to some degree.
    2. It gives me a clear line of attack to his centre line.

Then my front kick hits the bladder are, not the testicles (which would be a viable target for a front snap kick, however, this one is going to be more of front thrust kick, as we want to keep the aggressor from coming in).

Thoughts?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

KirkS (02-04-2019)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,776 Times in 5,507 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post

Then my front kick hits the bladder are, not the testicles (which would be a viable target for a front snap kick, however, this one is going to be more of front thrust kick, as we want to keep the aggressor from coming in).

Thoughts?
    Interesting thought, however, most of the population is right-handed so your attacker has assumed a boxing posture strong side to the rear leading with a left set-up. That means you are shading into his power hand that has not been checked. Moreover, in my teaching, every action has to account for "feints" as well. So, he slides forward with a half commitment feint with the left to get you to move to your left and you run into the set-up right cross. You may be on his centerline, but he's on yours too and he knows where he is going, and you don't. Whenever you're on the inside of his attack sitting on his centerline the rules of engagement on self-defense should change and everything speeds up and occurs much quicker. As for the kick, moving backward to kick from a cat stance requires specific mechanics. Whenever you move rearward in any stance or foot maneuver your lower platform disconnects from your upper and stability is lost, and any significant mass moving forward in conjunction with your own kick will drive you backward and probably down. Absent understanding the correcting mechanisms to overcome the loss of stability, it would be best to maneuver so that you drag step forward to kick.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (02-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post

Thoughts?
    Just for clarity.. isnt SOD for a right linear attack?

bunbun
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

KirkS (02-21-2019)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post
    Just for clarity.. isnt SOD for a right linear attack?

bunbun
    No sir, it is a left roundhouse to the head.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (02-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,242 Posts

I have much less experience than Doc, but I have never seen a left roundhouse punch as a LEAD technique. There are a few guys I have seen that actually jabbbed a little in a streetfight (more of an ego fight that neither wanted to back down while I was working in the jail). The left hand as a grabbing attack to set up for the right hand punch. The only time I have seen a left hand roundhouse is after they have thrown the right hand roundhouse and they are just power swinging their punches right/left/right hoping to take your head off.

This is one of the problems I have with many of the left hand attack scenarios that are for a punch. Guys will lead with their power hand and it will most likely be a righthand, and it will most likely have some "loop" to it and not a traditional straight punch. IF the guy is leading with a left punch, it means he has training and is going to be throwing a jab and the punch isn't going to be there for that right hand block.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

.;p-
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    I have much less experience than Doc, but I have never seen a left roundhouse punch as a LEAD technique. There are a few guys I have seen that actually jabbbed a little in a streetfight (more of an ego fight that neither wanted to back down while I was working in the jail). The left hand as a grabbing attack to set up for the right hand punch. The only time I have seen a left hand roundhouse is after they have thrown the right hand roundhouse and they are just power swinging their punches right/left/right hoping to take your head off.

This is one of the problems I have with many of the left hand attack scenarios that are for a punch. Guys will lead with their power hand and it will most likely be a righthand, and it will most likely have some "loop" to it and not a traditional straight punch. IF the guy is leading with a left punch, it means he has training and is going to be throwing a jab and the punch isn't going to be there for that right hand block.
    I agree, but inasmuch as this is a yellow belt technique, I've always given it a little bit of a pass knowing its origin. Even the manual says it could be a straight punch or a roundhouse. But also keep in mind, when someone has a bit of training to go with their assault, they may use the left hand to set up the right, thus the left lead seen in modern day boxing, and old school non-Chinese Traditional Karate.

In the old days, many attempted to duplicate the idea of writing down techniques, and the one constant flaw was everything was for a right punch. In an attack scenario on the street, you are absolutely correct, and it is more likely to be a right hand "haymaker" type assault, maybe followed by the left crossing after a failed attempt. But the left lead is still a possibility albeit a small one, and students have to learn to deal with that left whether as a primary or secondary attack so it's not a bad idea. Right then left, or left then right is all good training ideas.

But we can't let these "ideas" get away from the reality of the street. I have a philosophy when training these punch attacks that is simple. "If he throws one punch, he'll throw two. If he throws two, he'll throw three, if he throws three..." In other words, he's going to keep coming until you do something about it, and to execute a singular punch no matter what the lead, as if that is the end of the attack would be a bad idea in training. Always respond as if there is another punch coming and address it technically to limit vulnerability. Being on the inside of either hand is dicey and ups one's vulnerability big time, so you better be swift sure and cancel or at least address that next punch that is going to come "hot and heavy." Addressing any scenario from the perspective of the Psychology of Confrontation forward puts us in the mind of the attacker, and defines the assault, it's intent, and how the attacker plans to carry it out. We always approach from this perspective before addressing any response, as one defines the other and clarifies the scenario response.

At one lower level, we simply address the lone left punch but being mindful of the implication of additional punches to follow. At another level up the food chain, the scenario changes to a more skilled attacker who is utilizing a strategy when attacking, throwing a left to set up the right, or vice versa. Then as the skill level rises that same scenario might shift to, a left that is really a feint to set up the right, which speeds up the right hand significantly. So you see the simple idea of a "simple" punch or two has many implications predicated on the mindset, and skill level of the attacker and all three levels use the same one or two punches. Now when you extrapolate that lesson into a three punch scenario, you get the idea. Nobody stops until you stop them.

Once again sir, we always tend to find ourselves on the same page. I just usually try to get mine out first before you steal my thunder.

www.MSUACF.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

nelson (02-23-2019),punisher73 (02-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 589 Posts

Also consider that the left is not the first punch, especially if someone is trying to find their range.

Respects,

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Doc (02-22-2019),nelson (02-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 660 Posts

From the pedagological point of view, maybe this is just about teaching a block.

The block is effective, even if the attack is less than effective.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

You should be able to do any technique on both sides

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    No sir, it is a left roundhouse to the head.
    Ahhhh sorry.. I was thinking Delayed Sword...

Carry on...
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    Also consider that the left is not the first punch, especially if someone is trying to find their range.

Respects,

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Sir, When I teach these techniques and blocking I come from what appears to be a unique perspective these days. I use it to re-enforce the concept of Zone Blocking. Too many I've seen when learning to block are fed the idea "all blocks are strikes." This concept is majorly flawed and probably should be expressed as, "all blocks MAY become strikes."

When blocks are viewed as strikes, it causes the student to "seek contact" with the offending limb. The problem with that is when you strike, the configuration and the muscle groups utilized are very much different from a "block" internally and externally. Because your offensive intent is a factor, a person will over-extend when no contact is made thus drawing you out of position and violating what Mr. Parker called the "Outer Rim Concept." Proprioceptively, when the body anticipates an offensive action and it doesn't appear, the body is momentarily structurally "out of synch." Think of the old Lucy trick on Linus by moving the football when he's trying to kick it. If a kicker is anticipating kicking a football held by the placekick holder, his body is anticipating and is proprioceptively prepared for the contact. However, if the ball was removed from the equation at the last possible moment, the kicker would probably fall down simply because the ball wasn't there. No different than when you attempt to break a board, and the board is snatched away, you would probably fall down or at least fall forward losing your balance momentarily because your body is configured to anticipate the contact, follow through and resistance that comes with it.

The worse thing you can do in blocking is seeking offensive contact because that is not the goal of a block. A block is a defensive mechanism inherent in human startle reflex mechanisms, whereas a strike is quite the opposite and requires, to be effective, a different commitment from the body.

This becomes important when dealing with "feints." Because blocks are reactive, Mr. Parker used the Zone Blocking Theory so that feints would not get us in trouble. It essentially says, "Block the zone, not the threat." With this in mind, it doesn't matter when blocking if the threat exists or not. If I train to reflexively block the zone, I do not overcommit my self to a single action that may or may not be necessary and thus cannot be lured into a bad position.

Example: An attacker might throw a straight left followed by a right cross. A common tactical "boxing" strategy set up whether a right lead or left lead. Throw one to set up the other. But one must consider the possibility the followup is not the goal, but actually a third punch with the first two setting up the third. This could be accomplished with a well-executed feint of the second punch, in which case you might be seeking contact with something that is not there, and in that process overreach and become immediately vulnerable to the third punch.

In Zone Blocking Theory it doesn't matter whether it is a feint or an actual punch. You treat feints and actual street punches the same. The practice in contested matches is different because the goals are different in prolonged strategic contests, and is also why competitors are more likely to "cover" to protect than block.

Moreover, in self-defense street applications, you'll find there is a unique benefit that helps you understand the definition of a block. A block by definition "checks or hinders and attack." That is when you block properly your goal is not to hurt the attacker. You place an obstruction between you and him, and he hurts himself when he makes contact with your defensive posture limb. It hurts him and you barely feel it because your body is configured in a defensive posture based on your actions, and he is configured offensively. The body configures itself differently offensively versus defensively and those differences are significant and accomplished by adjusting the mechanics of the action, but more importantly addressing it by changing your mindset of what you are attempting to accomplish.
    bdparsons likes this.

www.MSUACF.com

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (02-23-2019),nelson (02-23-2019)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    From the pedagological point of view, maybe this is just about teaching a block.

The block is effective, even if the attack is less than effective.
    You sir, are 100% correct.

www.MSUACF.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links