Thread: March 2007 IKCA Technique of the Month -- Circling Devastation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Default March 2007 IKCA Technique of the Month -- Circling Devastation

Circling Devastation is a Black Belt technique. Here's the breakdown. Chime in with comments and the like.

As the left punch comes in:

1. Step back left leg into a RNB and execute a right crane hand pulling/circling the punch downward and slightly outward towards your right. Left hand checking high.

2. Immediately circle your right hand up towards the head and execute a middle knuckle strike to the left temple of the attacker. This strike is also on a circular path. Step drag in while executing this step.

3. Keep the circle going and now execute a right inward elbow strike to the attacker's jawline followed by a right back elbow to his face while transitioning your stance into a right rear lunge. Step drag in while executing this step.

4. Complete the technique with a right rear scoop kick followed by a right thrusting heel kick.
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: March 2007 IKCA Technique of the Month -- Circling Devastation

Thanks for picking up my slack, Bill.

Is this for a linear/straight punch? I can't visualize it being truely effective against a hooking/round punch.

At this moment I can't actually think of an EPAK-like technique to compare it with.

Definatley demonstrates effective use of momentum, IMHO.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

It is against a left straight punch.

The only thing I do differently is adding a small step out with the left leg and quick stomp with the right foot using the momentum from the right rear scoop kick to give me room for the right thrusting heel kick.
    ~ Steve Zalazowski
    Continuing Student of the Arts.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

OK, I'm the new IKCA guy, and only working on orange belt in IKCA at the moment, so don't mind the silly questions, please!

I can visualize this technique pretty well, but want to understand the very beginning. Is that crane hand STOPPING the incoming punch, or simply pulling it down and past the body and point of impact? Or does it stop the punch in a full block (like right inward block), and THEN hook the hand/arm and guide it past?

There is a SOMEWHAT similar Bushidokan/American Karate defense that does the two elbow strikes to the face in a similar pattern...one coming across, then coming back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo-Owl View Post
    OK, I'm the new IKCA guy, and only working on orange belt in IKCA at the moment, so don't mind the silly questions, please!

I can visualize this technique pretty well, but want to understand the very beginning. Is that crane hand STOPPING the incoming punch, or simply pulling it down and past the body and point of impact? Or does it stop the punch in a full block (like right inward block), and THEN hook the hand/arm and guide it past?
    It is a redirection, not a stopping block. The goal is to redirect incoming force with an off balancing added to it via the crane hand to take advantage of borrowed force and opposing forces for the following elbow strike.
    ~ Steve Zalazowski

Thanks

Excuse me, self correction: It's for the following circling middle finger fist, not the elbow.
    ~ Steve Zalazowski

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Having a hard time envisioning this, but it reas like the last part borrows heavily from the universal motions in Snapping Twig. Ist das zo?

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

Well, I dunno Snapping Twig so I just see if I can itemize out this tech a bit further.

From the circling crane hand you take his left arm towards your own 4:30 adding a slight imbalance, I stay in a transitional forward bow for this point, and I then reorbit the right hand (reconfigured into a middle finger fist) from my 4:30 up to my opponent's temple/cheekbone/etc as I rotate into RNB.

Continue the orbiting middle finger fist downwards (to ensure attacking left hand doesn't reorbit) step drag in and use the circling movement to develop a right elbow strike to the same point as the fist.

Rotate to a transitional rear bow, continuing the movement from the circling elbow strike and at this point I reach out towards 7:30 with my right arm (just did the first elbow strike with r arm after all) in preparation for the next shot.

From here I rotate back to RNB as I execute the rear outward elbow strike to opponent's face.

Immediately rotate to face 7:30 in a rear bow again and short step drag towards 7:30 simultaneously rear scoop kicking opponent in the groin.

Use the momentum from the scoop kick recraning (some people call it re-chambering their kicks, some people call it indexing ;-) hehe) to stomp right foot next to left foot and reset from movement to 7:30, from here execute right thrusting heel kick to solar plexus to drive opponent away.

That help any?
    ~ Steve Zalazowski

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    Having a hard time envisioning this, but it reas like the last part borrows heavily from the universal motions in Snapping Twig. Ist das zo?
    Dave,

Actually Snapping Twig is closer to our technique Broken Lightning, but there are similar elements in Circling Devastation. In my limited understanding of Snapping Twig with the extension, the crane beak / raking backknuckle / elbow / heel palm combination is pretty close. On this technique we will circle with each strike after the crane hand, tightening the circles with each and progressively closing the range until beginning the exit after the final elbow. In fact the elbow combination, though to the head and not the ribs is similar to the motion in Triggered Salute.

(The collapse from the initial strike to the elbow that is in Snapping Twig does occur in Broken Lightning.)

Hope this clears up the picture.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (03-16-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    Dave,

Actually Snapping Twig is closer to our technique Broken Lightning, but there are similar elements in Circling Devastation. In my limited understanding of Snapping Twig with the extension, the crane beak / raking backknuckle / elbow / heel palm combination is pretty close. On this technique we will circle with each strike after the crane hand, tightening the circles with each and progressively closing the range until beginning the exit after the final elbow. In fact the elbow combination, though to the head and not the ribs is similar to the motion in Triggered Salute.

(The collapse from the initial strike to the elbow that is in Snapping Twig does occur in Broken Lightning.)

Hope this clears up the picture.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Bill:

I was curious enough that I actually busted out the few CD's I have access to, and flipped through them quickly. I remembered seeing a ST-type movement, and found it as Technique #9 on the Green Belt tape. The tapes are without tech names...is #9 broken lightning?

Be good,

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    I was curious enough that I actually busted out the few CD's I have access to, and flipped through them quickly. I remembered seeing a ST-type movement, and found it as Technique #9 on the Green Belt tape. The tapes are without tech names...is #9 broken lightning?
    Yep, that's the one. The technique names came after the curriculum was put on video.

Respects,
    Bill
    www.trianglekenpo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I can see elements of "snapping twig" in this technique. Especially the way the strikes continue to build momentum throughout the technique.

I've played with this a bit and find that stepping back into a cat enables me to close the distance better when following up with the center knuckle strike. Thoughts?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Dunno, I've dome the RNB and the transitory RFB, but haven't played with a cat with it. There is no kick, so I haven't seen reason to justify moving all of my weight back that far, but I'll play with it at my next class on Sat and let you know. Remind me.
    ~ Steve Zalazowski

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links