Thread: February IKCA Technique of the Month- Circling Serpent

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default February IKCA Technique of the Month- Circling Serpent

This technique is taught at the purple belt level. I really like this technique as it uses elements of the "pak sao" for you trapping, Jeet-Kun-Do and Wing Chun fans and really makes good use of combining circular and linear movements effectively.

Outside Defense- Against a Right Back Knuckle Strike or Right Straight Punch

Begin from a natural stance.

1) Step off line to the left with your left foot simultaneously executing a left inward parry

2) "C" Step with your right foot around and behind the right foot of the attacker assuming a right neutral bow. As you continiue the momentum of the left inward parry into a pinning check, needle over executing a right overhand back knuckle to the attackers temple.

3) Track down with the right hand grabbing the attackers right shoulder while anchoring your right elbow in order to check out the attacker right arm. Transition into a right lunge stance executing a left straight punch the the attackers kidney

4) Bring your left foot in (foot-to-foot) and execute a right side kick to the attackers left knee and rechamber

5) Drive your right leg back, in essence assuming a left forward bow, buckling the attackers right leg simultaneously pushing forward with your right hand (remember it's securing the attackers right shoulder from step #3) Make sure to check the right side of your head with your left hand when executing the takedown as the attackers legs can fly up either accidently, trying to kick you, or in an effort to scissor your head as with a grappler

Some Principles & Concepts taught: "C" Step, Center of Gravity, Anchoring, Compounding Motion, & Momentum
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: February IKCA Technique of the Month- Circling Serpent

Hey Rob,

Slight difference in the way my father teaches it. Both are correct, just alittle different.

On the take down. Instead of pushing out with the right hand, bring it to your left hip. This pivots the attacker around your center of gravity and plants him directly at your feet. The angle in which he falls will prevent his legs from passing near your head. Instead his body will pivot more horizontally then vertically. In truth its more of a 45 degree fall, which of couse changes the path his legs travel. Also, because of the angle in which he is falling you can impale his head or between his shoulders on your left knee. Being in a solid forward bow will make the impact harsh.

Hope that all makes sense. Look forward to seeing you in April, maybe we'll get to work togther this time

Salute,
    Phyl Parsons
    Raleigh, NC
    Triangle kenpo Institiute

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PParsonsNC For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (11-16-2009)

Thanks

Modification made by SGM Sullivan in recent years is the timing of when you bring your left foot in on #4 - he changed it to #3 so it'd look like:

Outside Defense- Against a Right Back Knuckle Strike or Right Straight Punch

1) Step off line to the left with your left foot simultaneously executing a left inward parry

2) "C" Step with your right foot around and behind the right foot of the attacker assuming a right neutral bow. As you continiue the momentum of the left inward parry into a pinning check, needle over executing a right overhand back knuckle to the attackers temple.

3) Track down with the right hand grabbing the attackers right shoulder while anchoring your right elbow in order to check out the attacker right arm. **Modification** Step your left foot to your right foot as you execute a left vertical fist punch to the kidney/floating ribs. **End Modification**

4) Execute a right KNIFE EDGE kick to your opponent's left knee, recrane for #5.

5) Drive your right leg back, in essence assuming a left forward bow, buckling the attackers right leg simultaneously pushing forward with your right hand (remember it's securing the attackers right shoulder from step #3) Make sure to check the right side of your head with your left hand when executing the takedown as the attackers legs can fly up either accidently, trying to kick you, or in an effort to scissor your head as with a grappler.

Personally I also employ a similar method to what Mr. Parsons teaches with the last step. I drive left and down with the right arm, using my right hand and leg to effect the beginnings of the takedown and my right upper forearm and elbow to drive straight down once my opponent has reached my centerline on the way down. I like the whipcrack effect it has on his head meeting the ground when I drive straight down vs. to my left hip.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PParsonsNC View Post
    Hey Rob,

Slight difference in the way my father teaches it. Both are correct, just alittle different.

On the take down. Instead of pushing out with the right hand, bring it to your left hip. This pivots the attacker around your center of gravity and plants him directly at your feet. The angle in which he falls will prevent his legs from passing near your head. Instead his body will pivot more horizontally then vertically. In truth its more of a 45 degree fall, which of couse changes the path his legs travel. Also, because of the angle in which he is falling you can impale his head or between his shoulders on your left knee. Being in a solid forward bow will make the impact harsh.

Hope that all makes sense. Look forward to seeing you in April, maybe we'll get to work togther this time

Salute,
    Phyl Parsons
    Raleigh, NC
    Triangle kenpo Institiute
    Glad to hear from you, brother!

I can definately see the advantages of executing the takedown in that manner. It better sets you up to execute joint locks and/or holds if you want them. Gee...I can't see your Dad actually wanting to do anything like that! LOL

As "IWishToLearn" stated, I was executing the punch as I came foot-to-foot prior to receiving my corrections as I had thought that was the proper way to execute it.

After trying it both ways though, I think I prefer the lunge. Stepping with the punch seemed to diminish it's power and was a little awkward for me to set up without having to "cock" for the strike.

Thanks for the input y'all! I hope to see more.

Maybe we can play around with it more in Raleigh.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: February IKCA Technique of the Month- Circling Serpent

Hey Celtic Nice technique I will have to work it in to my list thanks.
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Glad to hear from you, brother!

I can definately see the advantages of executing the takedown in that manner. It better sets you up to execute joint locks and/or holds if you want them. Gee...I can't see your Dad actually wanting to do anything like that! LOL

As "IWishToLearn" stated, I was executing the punch as I came foot-to-foot prior to receiving my corrections as I had thought that was the proper way to execute it.

After trying it both ways though, I think I prefer the lunge. Stepping with the punch seemed to diminish it's power and was a little awkward for me to set up without having to "cock" for the strike.

Thanks for the input y'all! I hope to see more.

Maybe we can play around with it more in Raleigh.
    I had the same trouble trying to implement the timing on the punch. I eliminated that problem by using a "stomp" instead of a step and beginning to cock the left arm the instant after I connect with the right backfist, and drop my right hand to control my opponent's right shoulder. It doesn't hurt if you effect a downward heelpalm to the shoulder as you grab it either.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IWishToLearn For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (11-16-2009)

Thanks

Oh ya - and call me Steve.
    ~ Steve Zalazowski
    Continuing Student of the Arts.

Thanks

A "stomp", eh? I'll have to try that. I've got a lot to focus on now implementing the purple extensions. There's a lot of good stuff in that private lesson.

Thanks

I've also seen this technique taught in step 2 as a two knuckle thrust punch instead of a backfist. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm short, so I tend to use the thrust myself, rather than the back knuckle. I feel like I'm exposing myself less with the thrust than I do with the back knuckle.
    ~ Steve Zalazowski
    Continuing Student of the Arts.

Thanks

I'm finding while playing around with this technique today that depending on the height of the attacker, the following changes seem to work well for me (today, anyway)...

2) "C" Step with your right foot around and behind the right foot of the attacker assuming a right neutral bow. As you continiue the momentum of the left inward parry into a pinning check, execute an inward right elbow to the nose.

3) Bring the right hand up in a short teardrop and back down into a hand sword to the brachial plexus, then drop the elbow to the solar plexus anchoring it in order to check out the attacker right arm. Transition into a right lunge stance executing a left hook punch the the attackers kidney

4) Bring your left foot in (foot-to-foot) and execute a right side kick to the attackers left knee and rechamber

5) Drive your right leg back, in essence assuming a left forward bow, buckling the attackers right leg simultaneously pushing forward with your right hand (remember it's securing the attackers right shoulder from step #3) Make sure to check the right side of your head with your left hand when executing the takedown as the attackers legs can fly up either accidently, trying to kick you, or in an effort to scissor your head as with a grappler

Changes are in bold...

Thoughts, ideas, comments...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links