Thread: January 2007 IKCA Technique of the Month - Twirling Fans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default January 2007 IKCA Technique of the Month - Twirling Fans

This is a Green Belt Level Technique to the inside against a right-left punch combonation. I just recently "learned" this one...I say "learned" because I was pleasently surprised to find out that I had already been exposed to it! It was actually one of my favorite techniques from our previous curriculum. See if this looks familiar to any of you.

1) Step back with the left foot towards 6:00 assuming a right cat stance simultaneously executing a left inward parry picking up the attackers right arm with a right hand waiters parry while executing a right snapping ball kick to the attackers groin

2) Settle into a right neutral bow picking up the left punch with a right inward parry picking up the attackers left arm with a left waiters parry while settling further executing a right hammer fist strike to the attackers groin.

3) Execute a left downward claw to the attackers face needling over your left wrist executing a right uppward thrusting uppercut punch to the attackers face. -cover out

Some key principles: Double Factor, Angle of Cancelation, Marriage of Gravity, Zone of Obscurity

Thoughts? Comments? Possible Variables? Extensions?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: January 2007 IKCA Technique of the Month - Twirling Fans

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Some key principles: Double Factor, Angle of Cancelation, Marriage of Gravity, Zone of Obscurity

Thoughts? Comments? Possible Variables? Extensions?
    I'm not seeing where the 'Angle of Cancelation' occurs in this write-up - at least in the way I understand. Because of the use of parries the attacker's width is not controlled to any degree and consequently neither are his weapons either. But then I am not at all familar with this technique/system so I'm likely missing something fairly obvious...

The technique as presented has a passing resemblence to the EPAK technique 'Unfurling Crane' - which also defends a right-left punching combo by attacking the insides of the attacker's arms and then his center-line.

The difference between the two as I see it, are the stance transitions - in the IKCA version uses Cat stance first then the neutral. The EPAK version uses neutral-stance and then transitions to cat stance afterwards - and also uses 'hard blocks' instead of parrying motions.

Thanks

I noticed that too. I really like Unfurling Crane so I naturally "took" to this technique.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

It's actually against a left-right punching combination. ;-)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I love the "flow" of this technique. It's a great one to practice for those who are coming from a more "hard" style, to develop the more "flowy, Kung-fu" type motion. Timing is everything on this technique -- You have to really pay attention to your attacker. A good way to drill this tech is to have your attacker periodically, and without your prior knowledge, vary his attack - both in timing and in method. If you're concentrating too much on finishing the technique, you might be surprised!

What if...the kick to the groin drops him?
    ...the groin kick bends him over too much to get in that hammerfist to the groin?
    ...he comes in with a 2nd left punch rather than alternating?

Just some thoughts from off the top of my head...

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Actually this technique can best be likened to a combination of the American Kenpo techniques of Unfurling Crane and Raining Claw.

The two techniques respond somewhat differently to the initial attack. Unfurling Crane, though stepping back into a neutral bow, leaves the core of the defender closer to the center of the attack, allowing the brunt of the force of the punches to be absorbed by the vertical outward blocks. Twirling Fans, while also stepping back but into a cat stance, draws the core further away from the attack (hence the parries vs. the vertical outward blocks). This movement also sets up the front kick. When the kick is inserted between the punches two things are accomplished: 1) it helps to cancel the attackers depth and height zones and 2) it takes most of , if not all, the oomph out of the second punch.

We do step back forward to the neutral bow and execute the hammerfist simultaneous with the second left parry and while settling into the NB (I like to target the tan tien or bladder rather than the groin). Turning into the right lunge stance as the overhead claw is executed also sets us up to pivot back to the RNB while executing the right thrusting under-punch.

The biggest difference between the two techniques can be seen in the distance of the defender's core from the attacker. Unfurling Crane initially places the core at the neutral (bow) position then moves forward, whereas Twirling Fans takes the core further away initially then returns to the neutral position.

Some would say the AK technique allows for more width zone control and post-attack penetration. I would say the IKCA technique allows for more depth & height zone control and attack “interruption”, with the option of post-attack penetration still there. In my opinion one is not necessarily better than the other, they just appoach the attack differently.

Note: The angle of cancellation is triggered by the angle of deflection created by the parries.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks

Outstanding post Mr. Parsons!!! And thank you for the 'correction' IWishtoLearn.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links