Thread: IKCA February 2021 Technique of the month- Circling Serpent

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 635 Posts

Default IKCA February 2021 Technique of the month- Circling Serpent

IKCA February 2021 Technique of the month

Circling Serpent - Outside Defense Right Backfist/Straight punch

Slide out to 11 o’clock and forward as you use left hand to block down and away, slide back into the attacker with a right thrusting punch under the chin over the blocked arm.
    Grab the arm with the right hand, anchor the elbow and do a left punch to the ribs
    Slide left foot to the right, right knife edge kick to the far knee into a left forward bow as a take down

Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 968 Posts

Default Re: IKCA February 2021 Technique of the month- Circling Serpent

Thanks for keeping these Technique of the Month posts going. A few thoughts on this one. The opening defensive move with the left hand is a parry leading to a pinning check, not a block, per se. You could execute the move as a block, but the action would be significantly disrupted by doing so, and we can assume the defender would not be willing to wait and cooperate while the rest of the technique is executed. The timing of the step or drag bringing the left foot to the right is a point of difference and debate among IKCA practitioners. Some punch, then step/slide. Some step/slide with the punch. Some step/slide, then punch. The first option provides the strongest strike, the second the fastest, and the last enhances neither power nor flow. The takedown needs to be executed as a knife edge kick, rechamber, then thrusting forward bow to takedown. Sweeping directly from the knife edge to the forward bow can be done but usually requires a compliant attacker. If the knife edge kick is executed properly, the opponent should already be collapsing before the takedown can be executed.
    Joel Ellis
    Arizona
    Festina Lente

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Ellis For This Useful Post:

KirkS (4 Days Ago),punisher73 (3 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 635 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J Ellis View Post
    Thanks for keeping these Technique of the Month posts going. A few thoughts on this one. The opening defensive move with the left hand is a parry leading to a pinning check, not a block, per se. You could execute the move as a block, but the action would be significantly disrupted by doing so, and we can assume the defender would not be willing to wait and cooperate while the rest of the technique is executed. The timing of the step or drag bringing the left foot to the right is a point of difference and debate among IKCA practitioners. Some punch, then step/slide. Some step/slide with the punch. Some step/slide, then punch. The first option provides the strongest strike, the second the fastest, and the last enhances neither power nor flow. The takedown needs to be executed as a knife edge kick, rechamber, then thrusting forward bow to takedown. Sweeping directly from the knife edge to the forward bow can be done but usually requires a compliant attacker. If the knife edge kick is executed properly, the opponent should already be collapsing before the takedown can be executed.
    Ive been trying to keep it going..i post from the material i have at hand or from older posts. If you have a more updated information pm me and ill give you my email address. Its all about being correct to me

Kirk
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Thanks
    Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,271 Posts

I agree, always enjoy seeing the techniques posted and comparing with the notes I have.

As an aside, what is Vic doing these days? I'm not looking for "why" he left or anything, just wondering if he is still doing Kenpo.
    Last edited by punisher73; 3 Days Ago at 10:49 AM. Reason: grammar
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links