Thread: March 2020 TOM - Escaping Ram

Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 632 Posts

Default March 2020 TOM - Escaping Ram

Escaping Ram
    (Bear Hug from 6:00)

1) Whip your head back into the attackers nose thrusting your hips out towards12:00 to gain maximum momentum and set up for step #2.

2) Thrust your hips back into the attacker "bumping" them off of youas you extend double downward outward blocks to clear the attackers arms awayfrom you (*check over your shoulder to gauge where attacker is).

3) Make an adjustment step based on attackers position and execute a rearthrusting heel kick to an appropriate target.
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    http://www.kenpoguy.com/phasic-kombatives-integrated/phasic-kombatives/
    Thanks

Default Re: March 2020 TOM - Escaping Ram

Quote Originally Posted by KirkS View Post
    Escaping Ram
    (Bear Hug from 6:00)

1) Whip your head back into the attackers nose thrusting your hips out towards12:00 to gain maximum momentum and set up for step #2.

2) Thrust your hips back into the attacker "bumping" them off of youas you extend double downward outward blocks to clear the attackers arms awayfrom you (*check over your shoulder to gauge where attacker is).

3) Make an adjustment step based on attackers position and execute a rearthrusting heel kick to an appropriate target.

just a silly question, and something that I addressed when developing and compiling my own system during the naming process... Does anyone else see a problem with the "Ram" techniques where nomenclature is concerned? Doesn't the 1st book "infinite insights" show the "Ram" as being the first two knuckles of a punch? Then How does this make sense? I realize that many just kept or are keeping the "Parker" naming convention for the techniques or actions to recognize them but..... look at the name and then look at the attack...
    And to be clear, I have done this technique with Chuck in a seminar we had him up for so yes, I know the tech and the question is not meant to attack Chuck or the effectiveness of the technique itself.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sumdumguy For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

Interesting thought.

Different system. While the IKCA is a derivative of American Kenpo, Chuck and Vic chose not to equate IKCA names with IKKA names. The only exception to this are the Yellow Belt techniques.

Escaping Ram is the only “Ram” technique in the IKCA system. But in our case, ram is meant to denote the force of the butt bunk into the front if the defender’s pelvic girdle. Not meant to equate with IKKA ram techniques. Get out of the box.

Respectfully,

Bill Parsons
    Your Friendly IKCA PIA. 😉
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-02-2020)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Mr Sullivan and Mr LeRoux created their own system and names of techniques to distinguish themselves from the "American Kenpo" curriculum.

Its a totally separate entity.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    http://www.kenpoguy.com/phasic-kombatives-integrated/phasic-kombatives/
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    Interesting thought.

Different system. While the IKCA is a derivative of American Kenpo, Chuck and Vic chose not to equate IKCA names with IKKA names. The only exception to this are the Yellow Belt techniques.

Escaping Ram is the only “Ram” technique in the IKCA system. But in our case, ram is meant to denote the force of the butt bunk into the front if the defender’s pelvic girdle. Not meant to equate with IKKA ram techniques. Get out of the box.

Respectfully,

Bill Parsons
    Your Friendly IKCA PIA. 
    Awesome, "get out of the box" did you even read my post? I suppose I should have further qualified the post and statement for an even more basic comprehension of what I was asking. I can see how this could have been seen (by the delicate people) as an attack, which I tried to prevent and thought I had stated such. The name for the IKCA does make sense where the "ram" and head butt strike are concerned, How about the "Parker" Kenpo nomenclature... That is really what I was getting at. And I suppose I should have just stated that more clearly so as to not hurt butts. My Bad! And I am very aware of the "separation" from "Ed Parkers Kenpo" and as I stated, I have the utmost and greatest respect for BOTH of them.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sumdumguy For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    Awesome, "get out of the box" did you even read my post? I suppose I should have further qualified the post and statement for an even more basic comprehension of what I was asking. I can see how this could have been seen (by the delicate people) as an attack, which I tried to prevent and thought I had stated such. The name for the IKCA does make sense where the "ram" and head butt strike are concerned, How about the "Parker" Kenpo nomenclature... That is really what I was getting at. And I suppose I should have just stated that more clearly so as to not hurt butts. My Bad! And I am very aware of the "separation" from "Ed Parkers Kenpo" and as I stated, I have the utmost and greatest respect for BOTH of them.
    CHILL. I meant it tongue in cheek.
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

KirkS (03-02-2020)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links