Thread: October 2019 TOM Attacking Warrior

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 629 Posts

Default October 2019 TOM Attacking Warrior

IKCATechnique of the Month — Attacking Warrior

The first of the IKCA “Offensive techniques”

1. Beginning in a right neutral bow, you opponent is in a matched stance (alsowith right foot forward). Once you have good distance for the maneuver, shoot aright (palm up) backfist strike to the temple. Recommend this is done SLIGHTLYslower than normal as a set up for the next move. This is supposed to be afeint rather than a fake…if they don’t block it, smack the bejezus out of themwith it. It is intended to draw their hands higher than normal. This is also abetter plan if they are in a more solidly rooted stance instead of a “ready torun” position.

2. As their hands come up, immediately execute a hopping-in roundhouse kick tothe groin. This hop should actually begin about the time that the backfistlands/is blocked.

3. Just before finishing the round kick and after the backfist lands/is blocked, drop the right hand to the opponent’s right shoulder garment

4. Having completed the kick to the groin and maintaining the grip on the opponent’s garment (if possible), Land in a transitional right-neutral bow andpivot into a right forward lunge with a left punch to the ribs as they arebending over (forfeiting their height), your right knee cancelling their depth,and your right hand cancels their depth.
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: October 2019 TOM Attacking Warrior

Well, when the opponent is in range for my backfist, I won't need to hop in for delivering a round kick to the groin. So I would do the former while I move in with more of a replacement step rather than with a hop - although the progression from one move to the next will happen pretty fast.

Interesting that the IKCA curriculum includes that kind of offensive technique, though. Such methods of closing the gap should be part of every program aimed at preparing the student for sparring. In EPAK (and many other styles), every so often students are told to start sparring without proper instruction how to go about it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (2 Weeks Ago),KirkS (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 595 Posts

Default Re: October 2019 TOM Attacking Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    Well, when the opponent is in range for my backfist, I won't need to hop in for delivering a round kick to the groin. So I would do the former while I move in with more of a replacement step rather than with a hop - although the progression from one move to the next will happen pretty fast.

Interesting that the IKCA curriculum includes that kind of offensive technique, though. Such methods of closing the gap should be part of every program aimed at preparing the student for sparring. In EPAK (and many other styles), every so often students are told to start sparring without proper instruction how to go about it.
    This is the first of five “sparring” techniques in the IKCA system. All of which can be easily modified for street use under the right circumstance.

I actually teach this technique with a foot replacement simultaneous with the backfist. It forces acknowledgement of the strike with requisite block; positioning that arm for the grab and core control after the kick.

In my opinion, the foot replacement gives you far more control of your body and the attacker’s body during the technique. Not to mention range management.

Respects,

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Hamprp50 (4 Days Ago),punisher73 (1 Week Ago),Star Dragon (1 Week Ago)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links