Thread: January 2017 TOM - Crenshaw High Five

Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 2,134 Posts

Default January 2017 TOM - Crenshaw High Five

I thought this would be an appropriate technique for this month.

Crenshaw High Five
    :

(Inside defense against a Right punch (straight or round))

1. As the attack is coming in, drop into a right neutral bow with a double factor knife hand block to the inside of the arm - right hand striking the bicep and the left hand striking the forearm. The Right hand immediately circles into the attacker's carotid artery. Variation includes the right hand striking and forming a counterclockwise loop to the neck vs. forming a "J" shape and ricocheting off of the bicep straight into the neck. Either way, the left hand should maintain control of the attacker's hand.

2. Pivot in place into a right forward lunge, bringing the left hand onto the same curved path the right hand just used and strike with a heel palm to the jaw. Variation (old way) this strike was ught as a straight thrust to the chin which requires excessive maneuvering to complete the technique...if that's what you want to do...

2b. On almost the same beat as the heel palm strike, follow up with a right inward elbow sandwich while snapping back into neutral bow.

3. Pivot again into right forward lunge with a simultaneous rising heel claw to the face and outward left knife strike to the throat. Left hand then becomes a check on the depth zone.

4. Right hand returns to the attacker's left side of the neck for a final knifehand strike.

Blend, Borrow, cover out or follow up as desired.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (01-07-2017)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,363 Times in 5,332 Posts

Default Re: January 2017 TOM - Crenshaw High Five

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    I thought this would be an appropriate technique for this month.

Crenshaw High Five
    :

(Inside defense against a Right punch (straight or round))

1. As the attack is coming in, drop into a right neutral bow with a double factor knife hand block to the inside of the arm - right hand striking the bicep and the left hand striking the forearm. The Right hand immediately circles into the attacker's carotid artery. Variation includes the right hand striking and forming a counterclockwise loop to the neck vs. forming a "J" shape and ricocheting off of the bicep straight into the neck. Either way, the left hand should maintain control of the attacker's hand.

2. Pivot in place into a right forward lunge, bringing the left hand onto the same curved path the right hand just used and strike with a heel palm to the jaw. Variation (old way) this strike was ught as a straight thrust to the chin which requires excessive maneuvering to complete the technique...if that's what you want to do...

2b. On almost the same beat as the heel palm strike, follow up with a right inward elbow sandwich while snapping back into neutral bow.

3. Pivot again into right forward lunge with a simultaneous rising heel claw to the face and outward left knife strike to the throat. Left hand then becomes a check on the depth zone.

4. Right hand returns to the attacker's left side of the neck for a final knifehand strike.

Blend, Borrow, cover out or follow up as desired.
    Changed quite a bit since I first saw it. The technique was named for an original creation taught at Crenshaw High School in Los Angeles prior to the formation of the B.K.F. There is even a picture floating around of Mr. Parker at Crenshaw High giving pointers to the club in the gym. The version I saw was created by Steve Sanders.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-09-2017),KirkS (01-09-2017),nelson (01-09-2017),Star Dragon (01-11-2017)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Changed quite a bit since I first saw it. The technique was named for an original creation taught at Crenshaw High School in Los Angeles prior to the formation of the B.K.F. There is even a picture floating around of Mr. Parker at Crenshaw High giving pointers to the club in the gym. The version I saw was created by Steve Sanders.
    Hi Doc

What was the original version like?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-11-2017)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    Hi Doc

What was the original version like?
    I don't remember precisely, just say equally as primitive.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 562 Posts

Dr. Chapel,

I hate to contradict you, Sir, but this technique was not named for anything to do with Crenshaw High School or the BKF. Though that certainly may have been the case for something, it wasn't this technique. This technique draws its name from the time when Chuck Sullivan was running the Crenshaw Blvd school and was a variation of first the Five Count, then Five Swords.

Respectfully,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    Dr. Chapel,

I hate to contradict you, Sir, but this technique was not named for anything to do with Crenshaw High School or the BKF. Though that certainly may have been the case for something, it wasn't this technique. This technique draws its name from the time when Chuck Sullivan was running the Crenshaw Blvd school and was a variation of first the Five Count, then Five Swords.

Respectfully,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    That makes sense and explains the differences between what I remember and what's presented. I knew that Steve had a version as well that shared the name, and considering Mr. Sullivan was his teacher at the time, that too establishing entomology. This was before they moved the school to Hawthorne near Century in Inglewood. I and my college roommate Cliff Stewart always thoroughly enjoyed the sparring sessions there, and it was during this period that the school had the reputation of being the only real "fighting school" in the Parker Lineage, thanks to Mr. Sullivan and students like Big John Henderson. Thanks for the good info sir, and the walk down memory lane.

www.MSUACF.com

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (01-12-2017),Dr. Dave in da house (01-19-2017),KirkS (01-12-2017),nelson (01-13-2017),westbayJJ (01-13-2017)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links