Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

Reversing Mace (Front- Left Step-Through Punch)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes at you with a left step-through straight punch.

2. Standing in a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock, step your left foot to 4:30 as you execute a right inward parry followed by a left outward parry [into a waiter's block] to your attacker's left arm. Continue the motion of your right hand. As you settle into your right neutral bow facing 10:30, execute a right backfist to your attacker's left ribs.

3. Grab your attacker's left wrist with your left hand as you grab their right shoulder with your right hand.

4. Execute a right downward diagonal round kick to your attacker's left knee.

5. Cross out towards 4:30.

Repeating Mace (Front- Left Step-Through Lunging Push)

1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes lunging at you with a left step-through push.

2. Step your left foot to 4:30 as you execute a left outward hooking parry (waiter's hand).

3. Without stopping the flow of the motion, unwind into a right neutral bow facing 10:30 as you utilize torque and execute a right inward raking hammerfist to your attacker's left kidney.

4. Immediately reverse the motion and execute a right backfist to your attacker's left ribs.

5. Grab your attacker's shoulder with your right hand as your left grabs the wrist. Execute a right downward looping round kick down your attacker's thigh to settle in the knee.

6. Cross out towards 4:30.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

The importance of moving up the circle cannot be overemphasized in Reversing Mace because it gives you a better angle of delivery and angle of opportunity for the back-knuckle. I also find it very useful to do a knee check when executing the back-knuckle strike. The downward looping roundhouse kick is just outright nasty if done properly.

With Repeating Mace, you need to train your arms to move from point of origin. The reason I say this is that I see a lot of people executing this technique otherwise which negates economy of motion. I prefer to do a right middle knuckle rake on the initial shot because it penetrates the kidney so well and hurts like heck.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Interesting to see the differences in tecs. In our Curriculum we teach Reversing Mace this way.

REVERSING MACE (Front left step through straight punch)
    1. From a right neutral bow, slide your left foot counterclockwise toward 4:30 while remaining in a right neutral bow. During this transition execute a right inward and left outward parry combination to the outside of your opponent's left punch. Your left hand finishes palm up and on top of your opponent's left arm (like a waiter carrying a tray), and at or above his left elbow. Without any loss of motion, your right inward parry continues to circle counterclockwise, and becomes a right outward back knuckle strike to your opponent's left lower ribcage. (This should cause your opponent to bend forward at the waist.)
    2. Immediately shift your weight onto your left leg, and deliver a right downward looping roundhouse kick to the back of your opponent's left knee, complementing the angle of your opponent's left thigh during the course of this action. The kick is executed with your instep and ankle locked straight out upon impact. (This move should buckle your opponent's left knee toward the ground.)
    3. From the Point of Contact of your right kick execute a right front crossover, covering out toward 4:30.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTess
    Interesting to see the differences in tecs. In our Curriculum we teach Reversing Mace this way.

REVERSING MACE (Front left step through straight punch)

1. From a right neutral bow, slide your left foot counterclockwise toward 4:30 while remaining in a right neutral bow. During this transition execute a right inward and left outward parry combination to the outside of your opponent's left punch. Your left hand finishes palm up and on top of your opponent's left arm (like a waiter carrying a tray), and at or above his left elbow. Without any loss of motion, your right inward parry continues to circle counterclockwise, and becomes a right outward back knuckle strike to your opponent's left lower ribcage. (This should cause your opponent to bend forward at the waist.)

2. Immediately shift your weight onto your left leg, and deliver a right downward looping roundhouse kick to the back of your opponent's left knee, complementing the angle of your opponent's left thigh during the course of this action. The kick is executed with your instep and ankle locked straight out upon impact. (This move should buckle your opponent's left knee toward the ground.)

3. From the Point of Contact of your right kick execute a right front crossover, covering out toward 4:30.
    That is exactly how I teach it as well Tess.

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    The importance of moving up the circle cannot be overemphasized in Reversing Mace because it gives you a better angle of delivery and angle of opportunity for the back-knuckle. I also find it very useful to do a knee check when executing the back-knuckle strike. The downward looping roundhouse kick is just outright nasty if done properly.

With Repeating Mace, you need to train your arms to move from point of origin. The reason I say this is that I see a lot of people executing this technique otherwise which negates economy of motion. I prefer to do a right middle knuckle rake on the initial shot because it penetrates the kidney so well and hurts like heck.

Jamie Seabrook
    Buddy, you ain't lyin' about that downward roundhouse. Way back when I was an orange belt I had a fellow student practicing on me (I was the uke) and he caught me in the crook between the back of my knee and calf. WOOOOO, I hit the floor and stayed there for a while. I'd hate to think how it would feel "street speed", if ya know what I mean!

We also teach it so that a knee check is applied but other than that we execute it pretty much the way Rob described.

BTW, don't forget about creating that angle of obscurity (one of my favorite principles) LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Buddy, you ain't lyin' about that downward roundhouse. Way back when I was an orange belt I had a fellow student practicing on me (I was the uke) and he caught me in the crook between the back of my knee and calf. WOOOOO, I hit the floor and stayed there for a while. I'd hate to think how it would feel "street speed", if ya know what I mean!

We also teach it so that a knee check is applied but other than that we execute it pretty much the way Rob described.

BTW, don't forget about creating that angle of obscurity (one of my favorite principles) LOL
    That's too funny.

I'm glad I'm USUALLY the one doing the demonstrating, LOL.

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    That's too funny.

I'm glad I'm USUALLY the one doing the demonstrating, LOL.

Jamie Seabrook
    The joys of being the head instructor of a school.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Reversing Mace introduces the concept of shortening the circle. By moving Up the circle you are increasing the depth of your action, and weakening the force of your opponents strike.

Practice Reversing Mace, Repeating Mace, and Buckling Branch. Observe how the Angle of No Return applies.

oh yes, that downward looping roundhouse kick does the job nicely.. *fond memories of pain

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I don't study American Kenpo but Reversing Mace sounds like a cool technique. I have several techniques that incorporates a downward roundhouse kick to the back of the knee from that same angle. There is a neat pressure point at the top of the calf that, if struck hard enough, will buckle both knees. I'm sure most of you already know that but if you haven't experience it before, have a training partner strike you in a downward motion at the top of your calf, behind your knee. Its a cool pressure point.

Thanks

Ah yes...pain is a great teacher. LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Ah yes...pain is a great teacher. LOL.
    One of my favorite quotes:
    "Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class."
    --
    Choi, Hong Hi Founder of Taekwon-Do
    What have I learned from this???

Thanks

Pain is an amazing teacher, and I know I have had to relearn a few lessons because of pride or stupidity several times.

Thanks

One of the first things I ever heard when I started studying Kenpo was by Mr. Brint Berry. He said, "If you leave class without a bruise then you didn't learn anything." LOL. I'm still not sure how serious he was, but I do keep bruises. Just found another one on my right thigh as a matter of fact. Where did that come from!?! =)

Thanks

Moving up the circle also allows you to have more power in oyur back knuckle or some people do a hammerfist. I have seen it done both ways. If I had to pick between these techniques I would probably do Repeating Mace.

How about you guys?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

I enjoy repeating mace more than reversing mace.

Thanks

I like reversing better...it flows better for me
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I prefer reversing mace

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

regardless of what you may like better, both techs are in the system for good reason...specifically, nature of the attack. any thoughts...
    pete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    regardless of what you may like better, both techs are in the system for good reason...specifically, nature of the attack. any thoughts...
    pete
    I thought they were both for the same attack. I can understand you would use reversing mace if you are up against the wall or something.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

One of the first things I ever heard when I started studying Kenpo was by Mr. Brint Berry. He said, "If you leave class without a bruise then you didn't learn anything." LOL. I'm still not sure how serious he was, but I do keep bruises. Just found another one on my right thigh as a matter of fact. Where did that come from!?! =)
    Then according to this, last night I tested for my blue and got it. As well as a broken rib, numerous bruises and a semi-sprained ankle. Wow! What an education!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links