Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Reversing Mace (Front- Left Step-Through Punch)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes at you with a left step-through straight punch.

    2. Standing in a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock, step your left foot to 4:30 as you execute a right inward parry followed by a left outward parry [into a waiter's block] to your attacker's left arm. Continue the motion of your right hand. As you settle into your right neutral bow facing 10:30, execute a right backfist to your attacker's left ribs.

    3. Grab your attacker's left wrist with your left hand as you grab their right shoulder with your right hand.

    4. Execute a right downward diagonal round kick to your attacker's left knee.

    5. Cross out towards 4:30.


    Repeating Mace (Front- Left Step-Through Lunging Push)

    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes lunging at you with a left step-through push.

    2. Step your left foot to 4:30 as you execute a left outward hooking parry (waiter's hand).

    3. Without stopping the flow of the motion, unwind into a right neutral bow facing 10:30 as you utilize torque and execute a right inward raking hammerfist to your attacker's left kidney.

    4. Immediately reverse the motion and execute a right backfist to your attacker's left ribs.

    5. Grab your attacker's shoulder with your right hand as your left grabs the wrist. Execute a right downward looping round kick down your attacker's thigh to settle in the knee.

    6. Cross out towards 4:30.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    The importance of moving up the circle cannot be overemphasized in Reversing Mace because it gives you a better angle of delivery and angle of opportunity for the back-knuckle. I also find it very useful to do a knee check when executing the back-knuckle strike. The downward looping roundhouse kick is just outright nasty if done properly.

    With Repeating Mace, you need to train your arms to move from point of origin. The reason I say this is that I see a lot of people executing this technique otherwise which negates economy of motion. I prefer to do a right middle knuckle rake on the initial shot because it penetrates the kidney so well and hurts like heck.


    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  3. #3
    KenpoTess's Avatar
    KenpoTess is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wild Wonderful West & Wicked
    Posts
    636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Interesting to see the differences in tecs. In our Curriculum we teach Reversing Mace this way.

    REVERSING MACE (Front left step through straight punch)
    1. From a right neutral bow, slide your left foot counterclockwise toward 4:30 while remaining in a right neutral bow. During this transition execute a right inward and left outward parry combination to the outside of your opponent's left punch. Your left hand finishes palm up and on top of your opponent's left arm (like a waiter carrying a tray), and at or above his left elbow. Without any loss of motion, your right inward parry continues to circle counterclockwise, and becomes a right outward back knuckle strike to your opponent's left lower ribcage. (This should cause your opponent to bend forward at the waist.)
    2. Immediately shift your weight onto your left leg, and deliver a right downward looping roundhouse kick to the back of your opponent's left knee, complementing the angle of your opponent's left thigh during the course of this action. The kick is executed with your instep and ankle locked straight out upon impact. (This move should buckle your opponent's left knee toward the ground.)
    3. From the Point of Contact of your right kick execute a right front crossover, covering out toward 4:30.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTess
    Interesting to see the differences in tecs. In our Curriculum we teach Reversing Mace this way.

    REVERSING MACE (Front left step through straight punch)

    1. From a right neutral bow, slide your left foot counterclockwise toward 4:30 while remaining in a right neutral bow. During this transition execute a right inward and left outward parry combination to the outside of your opponent's left punch. Your left hand finishes palm up and on top of your opponent's left arm (like a waiter carrying a tray), and at or above his left elbow. Without any loss of motion, your right inward parry continues to circle counterclockwise, and becomes a right outward back knuckle strike to your opponent's left lower ribcage. (This should cause your opponent to bend forward at the waist.)



    2. Immediately shift your weight onto your left leg, and deliver a right downward looping roundhouse kick to the back of your opponent's left knee, complementing the angle of your opponent's left thigh during the course of this action. The kick is executed with your instep and ankle locked straight out upon impact. (This move should buckle your opponent's left knee toward the ground.)



    3. From the Point of Contact of your right kick execute a right front crossover, covering out toward 4:30.
    That is exactly how I teach it as well Tess.


    Jamie Seabrook

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    The importance of moving up the circle cannot be overemphasized in Reversing Mace because it gives you a better angle of delivery and angle of opportunity for the back-knuckle. I also find it very useful to do a knee check when executing the back-knuckle strike. The downward looping roundhouse kick is just outright nasty if done properly.

    With Repeating Mace, you need to train your arms to move from point of origin. The reason I say this is that I see a lot of people executing this technique otherwise which negates economy of motion. I prefer to do a right middle knuckle rake on the initial shot because it penetrates the kidney so well and hurts like heck.


    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    Buddy, you ain't lyin' about that downward roundhouse. Way back when I was an orange belt I had a fellow student practicing on me (I was the uke) and he caught me in the crook between the back of my knee and calf. WOOOOO, I hit the floor and stayed there for a while. I'd hate to think how it would feel "street speed", if ya know what I mean!

    We also teach it so that a knee check is applied but other than that we execute it pretty much the way Rob described.

    BTW, don't forget about creating that angle of obscurity (one of my favorite principles) LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Buddy, you ain't lyin' about that downward roundhouse. Way back when I was an orange belt I had a fellow student practicing on me (I was the uke) and he caught me in the crook between the back of my knee and calf. WOOOOO, I hit the floor and stayed there for a while. I'd hate to think how it would feel "street speed", if ya know what I mean!

    We also teach it so that a knee check is applied but other than that we execute it pretty much the way Rob described.

    BTW, don't forget about creating that angle of obscurity (one of my favorite principles) LOL
    That's too funny.

    I'm glad I'm USUALLY the one doing the demonstrating, LOL.


    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    That's too funny.

    I'm glad I'm USUALLY the one doing the demonstrating, LOL.


    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    The joys of being the head instructor of a school.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  8. #8
    KenpoTess's Avatar
    KenpoTess is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wild Wonderful West & Wicked
    Posts
    636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Reversing Mace introduces the concept of shortening the circle. By moving Up the circle you are increasing the depth of your action, and weakening the force of your opponents strike.


    Practice Reversing Mace, Repeating Mace, and Buckling Branch. Observe how the Angle of No Return applies.

    oh yes, that downward looping roundhouse kick does the job nicely.. *fond memories of pain




  9. #9
    ndarnell is offline
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    I don't study American Kenpo but Reversing Mace sounds like a cool technique. I have several techniques that incorporates a downward roundhouse kick to the back of the knee from that same angle. There is a neat pressure point at the top of the calf that, if struck hard enough, will buckle both knees. I'm sure most of you already know that but if you haven't experience it before, have a training partner strike you in a downward motion at the top of your calf, behind your knee. Its a cool pressure point.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Ah yes...pain is a great teacher. LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  11. #11
    Kenpo-Sloth's Avatar
    Kenpo-Sloth is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    228
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 25 Times in 20 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Ah yes...pain is a great teacher. LOL.
    One of my favorite quotes:
    "Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class."
    --
    Choi, Hong Hi Founder of Taekwon-Do
    What have I learned from this???

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Pain is an amazing teacher, and I know I have had to relearn a few lessons because of pride or stupidity several times.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    One of the first things I ever heard when I started studying Kenpo was by Mr. Brint Berry. He said, "If you leave class without a bruise then you didn't learn anything." LOL. I'm still not sure how serious he was, but I do keep bruises. Just found another one on my right thigh as a matter of fact. Where did that come from!?! =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Moving up the circle also allows you to have more power in oyur back knuckle or some people do a hammerfist. I have seen it done both ways. If I had to pick between these techniques I would probably do Repeating Mace.

    How about you guys?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    I enjoy repeating mace more than reversing mace.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hoth
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 81 Times in 71 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    I like reversing better...it flows better for me
    Susan A. Spann

    Something Here Coming Soon

    Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )



  17. #17
    jfarnsworth's Avatar
    jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Mansfield, Ohio
    Posts
    1,575
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked 386 Times in 260 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    I prefer reversing mace

  18. #18
    pete is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    517
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 241 Times in 144 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    regardless of what you may like better, both techs are in the system for good reason...specifically, nature of the attack. any thoughts...
    pete

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    regardless of what you may like better, both techs are in the system for good reason...specifically, nature of the attack. any thoughts...
    pete
    I thought they were both for the same attack. I can understand you would use reversing mace if you are up against the wall or something.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  20. #20
    rziriak's Avatar
    rziriak is offline
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fortuna, CA
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: January 2006 Techniques - Reversing Mace & Repeating Mace

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    One of the first things I ever heard when I started studying Kenpo was by Mr. Brint Berry. He said, "If you leave class without a bruise then you didn't learn anything." LOL. I'm still not sure how serious he was, but I do keep bruises. Just found another one on my right thigh as a matter of fact. Where did that come from!?! =)
    Then according to this, last night I tested for my blue and got it. As well as a broken rib, numerous bruises and a semi-sprained ankle. Wow! What an education!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Master Key Techniques
    By Rob Broad in forum Parkers Kenpo (EPAK) - General
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 08:41 PM