Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

  1. #1
    Bob Hubbard's Avatar
    Bob Hubbard is offline Retired


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    5,610
    Thanks
    1,012
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,155 Posts

    Default December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    December's TOM are the Kimono techniques from both EPAK and Tracy Kenpo.

    Lone Kimono

    1. Standing naturally, step back (to 6 o'clock)with your left foot when your opponent grabs your lapel with his left hand. Simultaneously pin his left hand to your chest with your left hand and deliver a right upward strike against his left elbow just above the joint thus causing the elbow to break as your pivot into a right neutral bow.
    2. Then circle your right arm over and down (counter clockwise) with an inward-downward strike against the opponent's left forearm. Make sure that your opponent's left arm is driven down and diagonally to your left.
    3. After cocking your right hand slightly toward you with your right palm up, deliver a right outward chop to the right side of the opponent's neck; stance throughout is still a right neutral bow. Cock your left hand at your solar plexus, ready to check when needed.

    Twin Kimono
    1. With feet together, drop back (to 6 o'clock) with your left foot (into a right neutral bow) as your left arm pins your opponent's arms while simultaneously delivering a right upward forearm strike against the opponent's elbow joints.
    2. Immediately shift your left foot counter clockwise to 4 o'clock as you cock and deliver a right back knuckle strike to opponent's solar plexus.
    3. Follow-up with a right inward strike to both arms of opponent, striking them diagonally and down to the left.
    4. Deliver a right outward chop to opponent's throat.
    5. Right front crossover and cover out to 4'o'clock.
    Last edited by Gin-Gin2; 12-07-2005 at 03:28 PM.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
    Decembers TOM are the Kimono techniques from both EPAK and Tracy Kenpo.

    Lone Kimono
    1. Standing naturally, step back (to 6 o'clock)with your left foot when your opponent grabs your lapel with his left hand. Simultaneously pin his left hand to your chest with your left hand and deliver a right upward strike against his left elbow just above the joint thus causing the elbow to break as your pivot into a right neutral bow.
    2. Then circle your right arm over and down (counter clockwise) with an inward-downward strike against the opponent's left forearm. Make sure that your opponent's left arm is driven down and diagonally to your left.
    3. After cocking your right hand slightly toward you with your right palm up, deliver a right outward chop to the right side of the opponent's neck; stance throughout is still a right neutral bow. Cock your left hand at your solar plexus, ready to check when needed.

    Twin Kimono
    1. With feet together, drop back (to 6 o'clock) with your left foot (into a right neutral bow) as your left arm pins your opponent's arms while simultaneously delivering a right upward forearm strike against the opponent's elbow joints.
    2. Immediately shift your left foot counter clockwise to 4 o'clock as you cock and deliver a right back knuckle strike to opponent's solar plexus.
    3. Follow-up with a right inward strike to both arms of opponent, striking them diagonally and down to the left.
    4. Deliver a right outward chop to opponent's throat.
    5. Right front crossover and cover out to 4'o'clock.
    Twin Kimono's extension is awsome.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  3. #3
    kenpochad's Avatar
    kenpochad is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Kimono Grab its Agents a two handed lapel grab with a push
    Left foot steps back to 6 in a horse stance trapping there left hand with your left hand. Right upward block to attackers elbows
    Right Inward block striking with four knuckle rack clearing attackers arm (our you can circle out and do a right downward block on the top of there elbows
    Folding the attacker toward you) right chop to the throat shuffle in with a right elbow holding there head with you left hand.
    Pivot so you can do a hammer fist with you r right hand to the groin and then do a rear kick with your right leg after kick cover away ready to follow up if need

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by kenpochad
    Kimono Grab its Agents a two handed lapel grab with a push
    Left foot steps back to 6 in a horse stance trapping there left hand with your left hand. Right upward block to attackers elbows
    Right Inward block striking with four knuckle rack clearing attackers arm (our you can circle out and do a right downward block on the top of there elbows
    Folding the attacker toward you) right chop to the throat shuffle in with a right elbow holding there head with you left hand.
    Pivot so you can do a hammer fist with you r right hand to the groin and then do a rear kick with your right leg after kick cover away ready to follow up if need
    That is a little differnet. After you break/hyperextend both of his arms, step to 3 or 4ish with your left foot and deliver the backknuckle to the stomach with your right hand. Imediately circle counter clockwise with your right hand check down across his arms with a right forearm. Than deliver the right outward chop to the troat. That is where the base stops.

    Nevermind that is the Kiono Grab. It is a differrent technique, sorry.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Thumbs up Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    The reason WHY we move up the circle in Twin Kimono is to enhance the angle of incidence when we do the downward back knuckle strike to the ribs and to increase the width cancellation since it is for a two-handed grab. After the elbow break, we should also use a rebound effect to get the back knuckle in as effective as possible. I have seen the Tracy equivalent of the technique, but see the American Kenpo version as muc more logical and practical.

    With Lone Kimono, the pin and step pack control's the opponent's height, width, and depth, and as we execute the elbow break, it prevents the opponent from being able to hit back.

    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  6. #6
    Casey_Sutherland's Avatar
    Casey_Sutherland is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook

    With Lone Kimono, the pin and step pack control's the opponent's height, width, and depth, and as we execute the elbow break, it prevents the opponent from being able to hit back.
    I can see the possibility for a break above the elbow in lone kimono, but do you expect a break in twin kimono or just a hyperextension?
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by Casey_Sutherland
    I can see the possibility for a break above the elbow in lone kimono, but do you expect a break in twin kimono or just a hyperextension?
    Great point...a hyper extension in Twin Kimono.


    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  8. #8
    kenpochad's Avatar
    kenpochad is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    That is a little differnet. After you break/hyperextend both of his arms, step to 3 or 4ish with your left foot and deliver the backknuckle to the stomach with your right hand. Imediately circle counter clockwise with your right hand check down across his arms with a right forearm. Than deliver the right outward chop to the troat. That is where the base stops.

    Nevermind that is the Kiono Grab. It is a differrent technique, sorry.
    That move is similar to swinging gate but after the back knuckle your left foot steps behind the right in a twisted stance and as you twist out you keep their left hand trapped so you can get them in a arm bar

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by kenpochad
    That move is similar to swinging gate but after the back knuckle your left foot steps behind the right in a twisted stance and as you twist out you keep their left hand trapped so you can get them in a arm bar
    That sounds good I would like to see it done. Do you have the run through of it?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  10. #10
    kenpochad's Avatar
    kenpochad is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    That sounds good I would like to see it done. Do you have the run through of it?
    let me see if i have it in my books at home.
    so i can get the right terms down

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by kenpochad
    let me see if i have it in my books at home.
    so i can get the right terms down
    ok
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  12. #12
    dubljay is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    416
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Some one brought up the extention to Twin Kimono: Well I have the extention to Lone Kimono, I was wondering how the two extentions compare given the similarity of the base techniques.

    Here is Lone Kimono + extension

    1. Standing naturally (before pinning opponent's left hand to your chest) execute a left inward two-finger eye hook and then pin opponent's left hand to your chest with your left hand as you step back into a right neutral bow stance, immediately deliver a right upward strike to left elbow of opponent to cause and elbow break.
    2. Have your left hand maintain your pin as you deliver a right torquing back knuckle strike to his left rib cage.
    3. Immediately release your left ahnd as you switch into a right forwar bow stance execute a left outward handsword strike to his left side of neck as your right hand does a right extended outward block to clear his left arm out of the way.
    4. Deliver a right inward raking back knuckle strike to the bridge of opponent's nose (traveling from 1:00 to 7:00) as you drag your left foot to your right foot, immediately execute a right knife edge kick to the inside of opponent's right knee to buckle and drop opponent to the ground.
    5. Right front cross over and cover out twice to 6:00.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

  13. #13
    kenpotex's Avatar
    kenpotex is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    We do lone-kimono the same as it's outlined here with the exception that we target the throat instead of the "right side of the neck." Obviously, the neck isn't a bad target, we just teach the throat as the ideal target.

    Our Twin-Kimono is the same with the exception that we insert a couple of strikes.

    Here's the outline from above with our insertions in BOLD to show where they fit.

    Twin Kimono
    1. With feet together, drop back (to 6 o'clock) with your left foot (into a right neutral bow) as your left arm pins your opponent's arms while simultaneously delivering a right upward forearm strike against the opponent's elbow joints.
    2. Immediately shift your left foot counter clockwise to 4 o'clock as you cock and deliver a right back knuckle strike to opponent's solar plexus.
    2.5 with the right, deliver an inward raking hammer-fist to the opponents face. Continue through and flow into step 3
    3. Follow-up with a right inward strike to both arms of opponent, striking them diagonally and down to the left.
    3.5 Pivot to a forward bow and deliver a left palm-heel thrust to the opponent's chin, pivot back to a neutral bow with the chop in step 4
    4. Deliver a right outward chop to opponent's throat.
    5. Right front crossover and cover out to 4'o'clock.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

    Matt K.

  14. #14
    kenpochad's Avatar
    kenpochad is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    I couldnt find my manual last night so this is swinging gate i hope it
    makes cent to you parkerkarate


    Swinging Gate left hand grab to your right shoulder.
    Left foot steps back to 6 in a horse stance trapping there left hand with your left hand. Right upward block to attackers elbows,
    Back fist to the solar plexus or floating ribs at the same time left foot steps 3 behind the right in a twisted stance as you untwist still having there left hand trapped
    Your right forearm rolls there arm just above there elbow and look them out in a arm bar
    Last edited by kenpochad; 12-06-2005 at 10:01 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by kenpochad
    I couldnt find my manual last night so this is swinging gate i hope it
    makes cent to you parkerkarate


    Swinging Gate left hand grab to your right shoulder.
    Left foot steps back to 6 in a horse stance trapping there left hand with your left hand. Right upward block to attackers elbows,
    Back fist to the solar plexus or floating ribs at the same time left foot steps 3 behind the right in a twisted stance as you untwist still having there left hand trapped
    Your right forearm rolls there arm just above there elbow and look them out in a arm bar
    That meakes a lot of sense, and it sounds cool. It seems like a mix of both Twin and Lone Kimono. Does it have an extension?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    The Tracy techniques do not have extensions. Many times their complete techniques is what is considered to be the base and extension for an EPAK technique.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    The Tracy techniques do not have extensions. Many times their complete techniques is what is considered to be the base and extension for an EPAK technique.
    What belt is that technique for?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Kimono Grab is for Orange Belt. Swinging Gate is for Blue or Green Belt area.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    984
    Thanked 337 Times in 234 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by kenpotex
    We do lone-kimono the same as it's outlined here with the exception that we target the throat instead of the "right side of the neck." Obviously, the neck isn't a bad target, we just teach the throat as the ideal target.
    Question, about the reason for targeting the throat. When targeting the side of the neck, in order to get the proper angle of incidence, your elbow has to be a little high. I've sometimes felt some pressure on my rotator cuff with this. However, we played around with altering targets, and I didn't get that discomfort striking the throat. Just curiouse if this might have anything to do with your (systems) rationale for the change.

    Have any of you ever experienced this?

    I suspect that I may be a little more sensitive here due to old injuries. Or I might be doing something wrong occasionally. Or both.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

    Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

    Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    Question, about the reason for targeting the throat. When targeting the side of the neck, in order to get the proper angle of incidence, your elbow has to be a little high. I've sometimes felt some pressure on my rotator cuff with this. However, we played around with altering targets, and I didn't get that discomfort striking the throat. Just curiouse if this might have anything to do with your (systems) rationale for the change.

    Have any of you ever experienced this?

    I suspect that I may be a little more sensitive here due to old injuries. Or I might be doing something wrong occasionally. Or both.
    After you have struck up under the attackers arms and the struck with the raking back fist, you drive your forearm down across the top of his grabbing arm this should significantly pull his upper body downward. This means your knifehand does not have to be as high which shoudl alleviate some of the pressure on yoru shoulder.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

lone kimono extension

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.