Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

Thanks

Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTess
    Taken from our curriculum notes.
    I knew someone had to get there long before me.

I used to work a lot of variables like this, but the drill sounds like a good way to practice within family groupings. Thanks for the info!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

You're welcome

Here's some notes on Twin Kimono.

THEME: Obviously this technique is very similar to Lone Kimono. It teaches you not to panic when the attack is a two-hand grab versus a one-hand grab. Remember in a one-hand grab your opponent can readily follow with a punch, but in a two-hand grab his intentions are different. However, you are less likely to break one or both of your opponent's arms with your initial response. Therefore, in Twin Kimono you insert an interim strike (outward back knuckle) between your upward strike and your downward clearing action. Because this strike occurs within your opponent's Obscure Zones, it should surprise him. This unseen action should take the wind out of your opponent, making it easier for you to clear his arms.Practice blending Lone Kimono, Twin Kimono, and Mace of Aggression.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    Question, about the reason for targeting the throat. When targeting the side of the neck, in order to get the proper angle of incidence, your elbow has to be a little high. I've sometimes felt some pressure on my rotator cuff with this. However, we played around with altering targets, and I didn't get that discomfort striking the throat. Just curiouse if this might have anything to do with your (systems) rationale for the change.

Have any of you ever experienced this?

I suspect that I may be a little more sensitive here due to old injuries. Or I might be doing something wrong occasionally. Or both.
    I too have "old injuries" that haunt me at times so I understand. You may have to alter the way you execute a technique due to anatomical or physiological differences (Infinite Insights 1/Mental Stimulation.) It does not necessarily mean you're "doing it wrong." You may have to alter your target, but if the way you execute the technique is effective, then it can't be wrong. =) ....Tailoring is a wonderful thing!

We teach Lone Kimono at yellow and there is a version that may be more comfortable for you.
    1) Step back into a right neutral bow trapping oppoents hand with your left hand as you execute an upward strike directly behind opponents elbow (sound familiar so far? lol)
    2) Rake through oppent's ribs with a right back fist strike
    3) Maintaining control of opponents trapped hand, Use return motion and follow up with a forearm strike behind the elbow again (like executing an inward block)
    4) Offset your left leg and continue the motion from the forearm smash pulling opponent's wrist towards your left hip in effect executing a standing arm bar (this will cause the opponent's head to drop to about waist level of course)
    5) Follow through by transitioning into a reverse bow and tracking down opponents arm deliver a sword hand strike to left side of the neck.

-hope this helps in some way =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Thanks, both Tess and Crippler. I'll try those ideas.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Physical limitations can be a real problem, but learning to adapt them can create some very innovative technique variations.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Lone Kimono is in our orange belt.

LONE KIMONO (Front left hand lapel grab)
    1. Standing naturally, step back toward 6 o'clock with your left foot into a right neutral bow (facing 12:00). Simultaneously (1) pin your opponent's left hand to your chest, as you (2) rotate your left hand clockwise to expose and properly position his left elbow, while (3) delivering a right upward forearm strike against his left elbow just above the joint to cause the elbow to break. (This action may cause your opponent to rise up on the tips of his toes.)
    2. Immediately circle your right arm counterclockwise (over and down) and convert it into an inward‑downward strike to your opponent's left forearm. Complete this strike with your right palm up, and your left hand checking high. Make sure that your opponent's left arm is driven diagonally and down to your left. (This move should now cancel your opponent's Width and Height Zones.)
    3. With your action forcing your opponent's head and body down and toward 7:30, ROUND OFF THE CORNER with your right hand and immediately execute a right snapping outward handsword strike to the right side of your opponent's neck. Be sure to maintain a left hand check in the NEUTRAL ZONE.
    4. Right front crossover, covering out toward 7:30.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Definitely tailoring is a good thing

I have a few injuries left over from a bad car accident that I must adapt my defense in many tecs. I am unable to lift my left arm outward and upward so must tailor my 'left sided tecs' and my right arm is unable to do inward elbows so many of the tecs that call for that, I do upward elbows..

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTess
    Definitely tailoring is a good thing
    not necessarily, but i'd agree that it is occasionally warranted with proper guidance, and testing to be in compliance with fundamental principles, when there is a physical limitation.

too many would substitute 'tailoring' for 'lack of understanding'... trying to 'improve' the system to be more 'efficient' or 'effective on da street'. editorial comment over.

pete

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Pete you hit the nail right on the head. Too ofetn people don't understand something enought to make it effective and end up changing things to make it fit their perspective.

I have no problems modifying a technique for a student who has physical limitations, but they must also know the proper base if they are to assist other students.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Good points Gentlemen~!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Definately.

As you progress you will execute techniques based on personal preference. Preference being influenced by skill, body type, physical limitiations, etc...

But if you're an instructor you must always keep the "textbook" methods in mind and teach them as a base to build off of.

-IMHO =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links