Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

Lone Kimono

We have been shown a slight addition to this tech by extending the orbit of your left arm prior to pinning the attackers arm to your chest. This extended orbit allows contact of your left hand to his face. The arm is taking slightly longer to reach its target of the pin, but adds good disturbance to his attack.

Only works on some occasions when in range. No point reaching for it. If his arm is extended at the point of the grab you are too far away. If he grabs with arm bent the slap works well before the step back to extend his arm and give you the elbow

I'm in two minds about it, but I do like it - What do you guys think

jonah

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: December 2005 Technique of the Month - Lone Kimono / Twin Kimono / Kimono Grab

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    What belt is that technique for?
    I belive it was on my blue chart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kenpochad
    I belive it was on my blue chart
    Swinging Gate is for Blue Belt and Two Man Swinging Gate is for Green Belt
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

The major difference between the two techniques is the execution of the arm break (block).
    With Lone Kimono, after you have pinned the left hand and stepped back, your arm break should be a verticle thrusting punch just above the joint. A general rule is: you must staighten it - to break it.

In Twin Kimono - because you are being grabbed by two hands and are probably being pulled inward (the attackers elbow's are likely to be bent and locked inward) the forearm upward block is more practical.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpoist
    In Twin Kimono - because you are being grabbed by two hands and are probably being pulled inward (the attackers elbow's are likely to be bent and locked inward) the forearm upward block is more practical.
    If the opponent's arms are bent, it won't be easy to straighten his arms and apply the shot to the attacker's elbows, especially against a big, tough dude.

I would suggest an eye slice en route to pinning the opponent's arms. This will straighten his arms really fast. I have seen some people add the eye strike in the base technique, others not.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

Does anyone have any clips for any of these techniques.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Good suggestion and for those advanced kenpoist's - if the attacker is really strong and pulling you inward - Raking Mace (uppercut to solar plexus and chop to throat) may be more suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    If the opponent's arms are bent, it won't be easy to straighten his arms and apply the shot to the attacker's elbows, especially against a big, tough dude.

I would suggest an eye slice en route to pinning the opponent's arms. This will straighten his arms really fast. I have seen some people add the eye strike in the base technique, others not.

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

... or Mace of Aggression, in which you also follow the force forward

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Pete and Kenpoist are right! Mace of Agression and Raking Mace for the two hand lapel grab and pull, Twin Kimono for the two hand lapel grab and push. It's my understanding that this technique assumes that the attacker's arms are extended, not bent. By the nature of the technique I believe it excludes being jerked toward him.
    I mean, if he jerks you toward him and you've begun the arm motion toward the underside of his elbows....you could just as easily (or even more easily, since you won't get jammed) deliver the first strike of Raking Mace. That's the way I've always seen it: Raking mace if he grabs and pulls, Twin Kimono if he grabs and presses/pushes. (arms locked out)
    I don't mean to quote any manuals or anything....but I think this is the case.
    ...anyone??

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    After you have struck up under the attackers arms and the struck with the raking back fist, you drive your forearm down across the top of his grabbing arm this should significantly pull his upper body downward. This means your knifehand does not have to be as high which shoudl alleviate some of the pressure on yoru shoulder.
    Exactly. Also, as his upper body moves downward because of the frictional pull on his arms, you get a "whiplash" effect where his head moves back further exposing the throat.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I was taught Kimono Grab a little differently:
    1.) Step back with your left foot into a RNB as you simultaneously pin the attackers arms with your left hand (using an diagonal inward handsword to their left wrist) as you settle your stance use a right horizontal handsword (palm up) to the attackers throat.
    2.) Step up the circle with your left foot toward 4:30 as you execute a right inward block/strike to your opponent's elbow.
    3.) Immediately shuffle in with your right foot and execute a right sandwhich elbow (right outward elbow with a left inward heel of palm sandwhich the attacker's jaw).
    4.) Drop your weight and shift into a right reverse bow as you corkscrew down the contour of the opponent's body with your right hand into a right hammer fist to the groin. Your left hand should be checking at your right shoulder.
    5.) Execute a right back kick to your opponent's solar plexus.
    6.) Cross over, cover out.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    Mace of Agression and Raking Mace for the two hand lapel grab and pull, Twin Kimono for the two hand lapel grab and push.

Your Brother
    John
    Right on.

Attempting to pull of Twin Kimono for a two-hand lapel grab and pull-in would mean that you would be taking an angle of greatest resistance, and the technique would not work.

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

for a pull can do stricking asp.
    stip in with right to 12 stricking solar plexus with rigth middle knuckle
    and trapping over the top with your left all at the same time.
    left hand parys down right hand parys up to split the attacker open
    then right hand chop to the neck .
    This is another basic move like the kimono grab.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    I was taught Kimono Grab a little differently:
    1.) Step back with your left foot into a RNB as you simultaneously pin the attackers arms with your left hand (using an diagonal inward handsword to their left wrist) as you settle your stance use a right horizontal handsword (palm up) to the attackers throat.
    2.) Step up the circle with your left foot toward 4:30 as you execute a right inward block/strike to your opponent's elbow.
    3.) Immediately shuffle in with your right foot and execute a right sandwhich elbow (right outward elbow with a left inward heel of palm sandwhich the attacker's jaw).
    4.) Drop your weight and shift into a right reverse bow as you corkscrew down the contour of the opponent's body with your right hand into a right hammer fist to the groin. Your left hand should be checking at your right shoulder.
    5.) Execute a right back kick to your opponent's solar plexus.
    6.) Cross over, cover out.
    My Kimono Grab is a little different than that

- pin hands to chest with left hand/forearm
    - step back with your left foot
    - bring right hand up underneath opponents elbows then swooping it around to then strike on top the elbows and quickly into a throat chop
    - inward block type motion to toss arms away
    - then shuffle in to "sandwich elbow" mentioned above
    - drop right fist for groin shot
    - eye gouge with left hand fingers
    - bring right fist up under eye gouge for a face smash
    - grab opponents shoulder with right hand and side thrust to the knee backing out into a coveroff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WristTwist
    My Kimono Grab is a little different than that

- pin hands to chest with left hand/forearm
    - step back with your left foot
    - bring right hand up underneath opponents elbows then swooping it around to then strike on top the elbows and quickly into a throat chop
    - inward block type motion to toss arms away
    - then shuffle in to "sandwich elbow" mentioned above
    - drop right fist for groin shot
    - eye gouge with left hand fingers
    - bring right fist up under eye gouge for a face smash
    - grab opponents shoulder with right hand and side thrust to the knee backing out into a coveroff.
    That is Tracy's Kimono Grab.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

That is Tracy's Kimono Grab.
    I suspected as much...and to see someone say that was really the only reason I posted the technique.

The purple belt is FULL of that groin to eyegouge to face smash pattern of motion, thats like the theme to that belt, I bet I could do that small piece in my sleep now...
    Last edited by WristTwist; 12-07-2005 at 04:23 PM.

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

I know what you mean. I've done some techniques so much that I've felt the same way.

Course, when I try them in sparring I suddenly realize just how little I know. :lol:
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

After you have struck up under the attackers arms and the struck with the raking back fist, you drive your forearm down across the top of his grabbing arm this should significantly pull his upper body downward. This means your knifehand does not have to be as high which shoudl alleviate some of the pressure on yoru shoulder.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpotex
    Exactly. Also, as his upper body moves downward because of the frictional pull on his arms, you get a "whiplash" effect where his head moves back further exposing the throat.
    Thanks for the tips, guys.

Thanks

Default Clutching Feathers

Clutching Feathers

This is a sister technique in the LK, TK family group. Have any of you tried grafting the end of CF onto LK: after the elbo break, immediately pivot into a forward bo with right vertical outward block and a simultaneouse left inverted heel palm to his left jaw. The next strike, a knuckle rake, seems to be much better set up from here than it is in LK. This works well too if you don't get the break.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Notice how the principles of the first move of Clutching Feathers and Lone Kimono are virtually the same. It is your logical choice of targets that dictates your ANGLE OF EXECUTION.
    Build spontaneity by having your partner vary his attacks: left lapel grab, or left hair grab. Respond to these variables with either a right middle knuckle fist to his left arm pit or a left upward forearm strike to his left elbow. This method of practice will help you to internalize the concept that similar attacks using different paths may be countered by similar responses using different angles of execution.

When practicing the previous concept follow up with sequences from either Clutching Feathers or Lone Kimono. Formulating these two techniques will help you to internalize effective responses to diverse situations.

Taken from our curriculum notes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links