Thread: March 2008 EPAK Technique of the Month - Hugging Pendulum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default March 2008 EPAK Technique of the Month - Hugging Pendulum

Hugging Pendulum (Front- Right Drag-Up Side Kick)
    1. An attacker from 12 o'clock comes at you with a shuffle right side kick (drag step, essentially).

2. From a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock push drag back to 7:30 staying in your right neutral bow as you execute a right downward block to the back of your attacker's leg. (They will then land stretched out with their back to you.)

3. Step your left foot to 1:30 into a front crossover as you execute a right inward middle knuckle rake to your attacker's ribs and a left palm strike to your attacker's right kidney.

4. Execute a right knife-edge to your attacker's left inner knee to buckle it and cause them to fall.

5. As you land in a right neutral bow facing 1:30, execute a right outward backfist to your attacker's right jaw.

6. Shuffle in as you reverse the motion and execute a right inward hooking palm strike to your attacker's face.

7. Cross out towards 7:30.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Default Re: March 2008 EPAK Technique of the Month - Hugging Pendulum

I think we execute this technique for a combination - right kick, right punch. This puts the 'hugging' motion as a left inward parry against the right arm, and a right strike to the face ... eye slice, heel palm, middle knuckle; any of these would be good, provided the right glances through the target.

In step 4 - The right knife edge kick is included as a basic, however, it is rarely effective due to range. We primarily use it as a cover against a left spinning kick from the bad guy. If the bad guy's leg is too far away, we leave the strike out.

At the end of step 6, we include straight inward rip, to turn the aggressor's face to us, and follow it up with an inward elbow strike to the face. While this is taking place, the left hand is checking the aggressor's right arm. This added motion demonstrates for us the circle and line idea. The right outward back knuckel and the inward hooking heel palm are horizontal circles. The inward rip and inward elbow are linear.

Not my favorite technique. One of the ways we work to remember this technique is that Leaping Crane has the right hand under the left; where as hugging pendulum has the right hand over the left.

Thanks

What about this technique makes the attacker "land stretched out with their back to you?" Is the downward block pulling them beyond their balance point?

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    Not my favorite technique.
    One of my all time favorites.

I use an inward horizontal claw when using my front crossover. Then sidekick to stretch out the base & land with the outward back knuckle.

Also, at the end using the same thing you do with the inward ripping type claw into the inward elbow. This has always worked for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    What about this technique makes the attacker "land stretched out with their back to you?" Is the downward block pulling them beyond their balance point?

Lamont
    I would say 'yes' ... the frictional pull of the downward outward block, in combination with the push drag back ... we hope to stretch out the kick further than he anticipates.

I think it is sort of similar to what we do in Deflecting Hammer. But with Hugging Pendulum, we are moving "more" away from the bad guy. In Deflecting Hammer, we are just stepping back, in Hugging Pendulum we are pushdraging back.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Hugging Pendulum (Front- Right Drag-Up Side Kick)
    1. An attacker from 12 o'clock comes at you with a shuffle right side kick (drag step, essentially).

2. From a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock push drag back to 7:30 staying in your right neutral bow as you execute a right downward block to the back of your attacker's leg. (They will then land stretched out with their back to you.)

3. Step your left foot to 1:30 into a front crossover as you execute a right inward middle knuckle rake to your attacker's ribs and a left palm strike to your attacker's right kidney.

4. Execute a right knife-edge to your attacker's left inner knee to buckle it and cause them to fall.

5. As you land in a right neutral bow facing 1:30, execute a right outward backfist to your attacker's right jaw.

6. Shuffle in as you reverse the motion and execute a right inward hooking palm strike to your attacker's face.

7. Cross out towards 7:30.
    1) I, too, was taught the attack was a shuffle kick. Although, it doesn't have to be. It just has to be a straight-in kick, unlike a wide kick from outside.

2) I was taught to push-drag to 6:00, not 7:30. Going to 7:30 will increase distance for the upcoming kick in step 4. As some has already hinted at, depending upon the attacker's forward momentum and stopping point, the distance might be too far. Going to 6:00 minimizes that worry but also serves the purpose of moving away from the attack on the centerline. One of two things has to happen for the attacker to land with his back to you: A) your downward deflecting block puts him in that position or B) The attacker's own right to left momentum on the kick puts him there. Absent of either of those two aspects, your attacker will land in a RNB facing you.

3) That's the way I do it too.

4) Good there too.

5) Planting into a RNB, but with the backfist, we transition to a right close kneel with left checking on the attacker's right scapula (shoulder blade).

6) There's no shuffle in the way I do it. Really no need. The close kneel puts us close enough allowing to check the attacker's right side. Push dragging to 7:30 in step 2 might require the shuffle though. Who knows. Depends on the depth of your knife edge kick and where you plant as well.

7) We like to use a right claw to the face instead of a palm heel, pushing forward with the left hand on the right shoulder and clawing inward toward ourselves with the right.

Just my flavor, of course.
    Be safe,

Roach

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 468 Posts

I think we execute this technique for a combination - right kick, right punch. This puts the 'hugging' motion as a left inward parry against the right arm, and a right strike to the face ... eye slice, heel palm, middle knuckle; any of these would be good, provided the right glances through the target.

In step 4 - The right knife edge kick is included as a basic, however, it is rarely effective due to range. We primarily use it as a cover against a left spinning kick from the bad guy. If the bad guy's leg is too far away, we leave the strike out.

At the end of step 6, we include straight inward rip, to turn the aggressor's face to us, and follow it up with an inward elbow strike to the face. While this is taking place, the left hand is checking the aggressor's right arm. This added motion demonstrates for us the circle and line idea. The right outward back knuckel and the inward hooking heel palm are horizontal circles. The inward rip and inward elbow are linear.

Not my favorite technique. One of the ways we work to remember this technique is that Leaping Crane has the right hand under the left; where as hugging pendulum has the right hand over the left.
    You are shuffling way too far back then. Shuffle back slightly and block like Deflecting Hammer. His kicking foot should land next to your lead foot at least...if not further in on you. If he is kicking at you he is taking one step for all intents and purposes. If you are doing a front cross-over and a kick you are doing 1.5 steps - 2 steps depending on how deep your twist is. You should be able to blow through his leg with over a foot of depth to spare.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoJuJitsu3 View Post
    You are shuffling way too far back then. Shuffle back slightly and block like Deflecting Hammer. His kicking foot should land next to your lead foot at least...if not further in on you. If he is kicking at you he is taking one step for all intents and purposes. If you are doing a front cross-over and a kick you are doing 1.5 steps - 2 steps depending on how deep your twist is. You should be able to blow through his leg with over a foot of depth to spare.
    This makes sense to me, but ....

I am looking at the range for my arms. I think I want my targets at a range this is close to full extention of my arms. So, when I crossover into the target, I am looking at my hands striking his head - more than I am looking at my foot kicking his leg. I'm not certain that my hand range will be correct, if I get the kick at target with depth.

I think if I land that kick, as prescribed, my hand strikes are going to be scruntched up. There are quite a few of these cross leg kicks to the rear leg in the system, in which we need to reach for the target. In this instance ~ and I have worked this out on a body or two yet ~ I think we may not need to reach for the target, but if we close that distance as much as is needed, by hand strikes become less effective.

Note to self - work this on some bodies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

KenpoJuJitsu3 (03-04-2008)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

This makes sense to me, but ....

I am looking at the range for my arms. I think I want my targets at a range this is close to full extention of my arms. So, when I crossover into the target, I am looking at my hands striking his head - more than I am looking at my foot kicking his leg. I'm not certain that my hand range will be correct, if I get the kick at target with depth.

I think if I land that kick, as prescribed, my hand strikes are going to be scruntched up. There are quite a few of these cross leg kicks to the rear leg in the system, in which we need to reach for the target. In this instance ~ and I have worked this out on a body or two yet ~ I think we may not need to reach for the target, but if we close that distance as much as is needed, by hand strikes become less effective.

Note to self - work this on some bodies.
    Just remember that the hands hit (the raking blows) while you are advancing so the range there is different than when you finally get to your twist. When you plant your foot in the twist your front foot should be on his width centerline. Once the kick lands he's going to turn and his centerline is going to adjust to a point of balance near the knee he should be landing on. In other words you'll get closer while you kick him (hands may be cramped for a split second) but after the kick his head will move away from you and back into hands range again.

Also don't forget that the left hand can surely push him as you advance to set up the ranges you need.

Lastly I wouldn't advocate having targets at near full extension of the arms. That range is where the body naturally puts the brakes on and slows down our limbs to prevent over extensions. Get a little closer and you'll be able hit harder and faster because your body won't slow down your limbs...his body will when you hit him. Think about how 'intimate' you get with the guy in Glancing Lance because he has a knife...this one isn't or shouldn't be any different.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts

Thanks

.. .. ..

Lastly I wouldn't advocate having targets at near full extension of the arms. That range is where the body naturally puts the brakes on and slows down our limbs to prevent over extensions. Get a little closer and you'll be able hit harder and faster because your body won't slow down your limbs...his body will when you hit him. Think about how 'intimate' you get with the guy in Glancing Lance because he has a knife...this one isn't or shouldn't be any different.
    Concerning extention ~ with these strikes being circular, I'm not convinced that the body would apply any natural breaking; as I am just continuing the orbit with my hands.

With Glancing Lance, we execute three different sized of overlapping circles; large, medium and small. Certianly we are very intimate by the final left, and right elbow. But here, in Huggin Pendulum, our strikes are all at the large circle radius of our arms (almost) fully extended ~ as in the first eye hook in Glancing Lance.

Fun stuff ... I'll play a bit with Hugging tonight on the mat.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Concerning extention ~ with these strikes being circular, I'm not convinced that the body would apply any natural breaking; as I am just continuing the orbit with my hands.

With Glancing Lance, we execute three different sized of overlapping circles; large, medium and small. Certianly we are very intimate by the final left, and right elbow. But here, in Huggin Pendulum, our strikes are all at the large circle radius of our arms (almost) fully extended ~ as in the first eye hook in Glancing Lance.

Fun stuff ... I'll play a bit with Hugging tonight on the mat.
    1) Autonomous nervous system. ANYTIME a limb is about to reach it's maximum extention the body begins a counter contraction to protect the joint for exceeding the range of motion and protect the muscle fibers, tendons and ligaments from tearing. Continuing an orbit has no bearing on this. Most people don't even notice it but it's a subconscious response.

2) In Hugging Pendulum your strikes should all be at the Medium to small range...the ONLY reason for the large range being used in Glancing is the consideration of the edged weapon which requires minimal anchoring due to the knife's angles of versatility. In fact the only time any weapon should be employed at anywhere near the maximum range of extension is when an artificial weapon is employed and we need to keep our distance.

3) If you kick a man in the groin and he bends forward AND you plant forward is your eye hook really anywhere near maximum range? I'll put it another way you moved your head towards him and you kicked him in the groin to bring his head towards you. Is that first eye hook REALLY at maximum range? I'll bet you a cup of coffee it's executed a medium range at most on the body. In form 6 we do it long range to show those progressively shortening circles more clearly...but on the body?....
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Wink Re: March 2008 EPAK Technique of the Month - Hugging Pendulum

1) Autonomous nervous system. ANYTIME a limb is about to reach it's maximum extention the body begins a counter contraction to protect the joint for exceeding the range of motion and protect the muscle fibers, tendons and ligaments from tearing. Continuing an orbit has no bearing on this. Most people don't even notice it but it's a subconscious response.

2) In Hugging Pendulum your strikes should all be at the Medium to small range...the ONLY reason for the large range being used in Glancing is the consideration of the edged weapon which requires minimal anchoring due to the knife's angles of versatility. In fact the only time any weapon should be employed at anywhere near the maximum range of extension is when an artificial weapon is employed and we need to keep our distance.

3) If you kick a man in the groin and he bends forward AND you plant forward is your eye hook really anywhere near maximum range? I'll put it another way you moved your head towards him and you kicked him in the groin to bring his head towards you. Is that first eye hook REALLY at maximum range? I'll bet you a cup of coffee it's executed a medium range at most on the body. In form 6 we do it long range to show those progressively shortening circles more clearly...but on the body?....
    James...James...James...this is a moot argument! We have all recently learned sidekicks do not work!! Isn't this technique based on a sidekick??We should not even be discussing this, Geesh man....Almond Rice has spoken!
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    James...James...James...this is a moot argument! We have all recently learned sidekicks do not work!! Isn't this technique based on a sidekick??We should not even be discussing this, Geesh man....Almond Rice has spoken!
    LOL. When a guy changes his name to "Sun God" you have to wonder if his comments are wisdom from the heavens or if his brain is just getting baked from the rays.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links