Thread: October 2007 EPAK Technique Of The Month - Gift of Destiny

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default October 2007 EPAK Technique Of The Month - Gift of Destiny

Gift of Destiny (Front- Handshake)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs your right hand with their right hand.

2. Step your right foot to 12 o'clock into a right neutral bow as you simultaneously have your left hand grab your attacker's right wrist. As you grab, execute a right inward elbow to your attacker's solar plexus.

3. Circle your right hand counterclockwise, contouring along your attacker's fingers with the palm of your hand. [Your fingers are up, thumb down.] Grab your attacker's fingers.

4. Step your right foot to 6 o'clock into a left neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you turn your right hand clockwise, twisting your attacker's wrist palm up. At the same time, turn your left hand counterclockwise using your attacker's wrist as a pivot point. At the completion of your right hand twist, reach further around your attacker' wrist with your left hand to twist your attacker's wrist further. As you settle into this, release your right hand and return it to chamber. End result, your attacker will be bent over, their palm up, fingers high, the stress locking their arm out.

5. Execute a right palm strike to 1:30 to the back of your attacker's right wrist to break their wrist.

6. Execute a right front kick to your attacker's solar plexus.

7. Plant your right foot back to 6 o'clock and cross out to 4:30.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 599 Posts

Default Re: October 2007 EPAK Technique Of The Month - Gift of Destiny

Yes, this is the way I do this technique. There are a few nice alternatives with joint locks, in place of the wrist break.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

This is such a difficult technique to describe in words, isn't it?

Looking at that write up, I can see why it earned a place in Huk's 'Problem Technique' list. Mr. Planas' Two Man Set tape includes this technique as a preview to those Problem Techniques.

When I work this with a student just learning the technique, I will sometimes bring the focus away from what the hands are doing, and pay attention more to what the elbows are doing.

Bad guy shakes your hand ... grab his hand and throw the inward elbow to his solar plexus ... now execute an elbow to his chin, as you move your elbow in a counter clockwise circular direction (the hands still do what is described below) ... keep holding on, but circle your hands clockwise and poke the bad guy in the eyes with your left hand, as you draw all three hands to yourself ... at this point, you should be 'three palms up'.

I think, what goes on with the hands takes place in such a small area, and with small movement, that it can be overwhelming. By focusing further out on the orbit, I think sometimes it is easier for the student to grasp ... maybe.

$0.02

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Gift of Destiny (Front- Handshake)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs your right hand with their right hand.

2. Step your right foot to 12 o'clock into a right neutral bow as you simultaneously have your left hand grab your attacker's right wrist. As you grab, execute a right inward elbow to your attacker's solar plexus.

3. Circle your right hand counterclockwise, contouring along your attacker's fingers with the palm of your hand. [Your fingers are up, thumb down.] Grab your attacker's fingers.

4. Step your right foot to 6 o'clock into a left neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you turn your right hand clockwise, twisting your attacker's wrist palm up. At the same time, turn your left hand counterclockwise using your attacker's wrist as a pivot point. At the completion of your right hand twist, reach further around your attacker' wrist with your left hand to twist your attacker's wrist further. As you settle into this, release your right hand and return it to chamber. End result, your attacker will be bent over, their palm up, fingers high, the stress locking their arm out.

5. Execute a right palm strike to 1:30 to the back of your attacker's right wrist to break their wrist.

6. Execute a right front kick to your attacker's solar plexus.

7. Plant your right foot back to 6 o'clock and cross out to 4:30.
    In #1 I was taught stepping forward to grab above the elbow with a left tiger's moth and collapse into a right elbow to the face. #'s 3 and 4 are hard for me to write, but i remember it by reaching up under and around with my left hand and grab the meaty part of the palm then apply the lock. The rest appears the same. Thanks for posting it!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links