Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2007 EPAK Technique of the Month - Deflecting Hammer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default June 2007 EPAK Technique of the Month - Deflecting Hammer

Deflecting Hammer (Front- Right Front Thrust Kick)
    1. An attacker from 12 o'clock executes a right front thrust kick at your side.

2. From a right neutral bow, push drag back to 6 o'clock as you simultaneously execute a right downward block against the outside of your attacker's kicking leg. (This block should turn your attacker's back to you and possibly hurt them as you stretch them out.)

3. Execute a left thrusting check to their right arm (between the shoulder and biceps). As you do this, your right block (still in motion) will cock itself at your side.

4. Shift (push drag) towards 12 o'clock as you execute a right inward elbow strike to your attacker's face.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: June 2007 EPAK Technique of the Month - Deflecting Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post

2. From a right neutral bow, ...
    No, no, no! When are you going to get these techs righht? It's from a ready stance, and he kicks to your groin!

Just kidding. Works equally well either way. I've also learned it from a natural stance and the kick is to your abdomen.

This tech is the first defense against a long range weapon in most carrriculums, I believe. It also adds two new dimensions to gauging. First you must off angle back out of range and out of the path of the attack, but still remain in position for the block to land effectively. Then you must move in to range to deliver a close range weapon, the inward elbow, while passing and checking a point of articulation.

There, I've started it. Some of you senior (relatively speaking) types want to tell us what else this tech teaches?

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post

2. From a right neutral bow, push drag back to 6 o'clock as you simultaneously execute a right downward block against the outside of your attacker's kicking leg. (This block should turn your attacker's back to you and possibly hurt them as you stretch them out.)

3. Execute a left thrusting check to their right arm (between the shoulder and biceps). As you do this, your right block (still in motion) will cock itself at your side.

4. Shift (push drag) towards 12 o'clock as you execute a right inward elbow strike to your attacker's face.
    Why not get off the line of attack?
    Sean

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Sean
    This technique teaches you to stand your ground and move the attacker off line. Other techniques give you examples of moving off line.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jfarnsworth For This Useful Post:

KenpoJuJitsu3 (06-14-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Here's Mr. Tatum explaining the technique ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScWk_qOTWs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 14 Kempo For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (06-15-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

I teach it with a push drag to 7:30

The reaosn I do is this. I find it difficult to gauge the speed and length of a straight on kick.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

I also insert a left checking parry in front of the downward block, kind of like Checking the Storm (parry before the block) only downward. Since I also try to angle the block like Mr. Tatum describes in his video, the check helps me to measure the kick a little better before I block it, and also adds an extra layer of protection.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks

Double factor blocks when you can.

Thanks

Sean
    Hi Sean,

I have seen some Kenpoists pull off a nice Deflecting Hammer while stepping to 7:30, although here are some reasons why I feel 6 o'clock works better:

http://jamieseabrook.blogspot.com/se...lecting+hammer
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Mr. Jamie,

Please share your views on 6:00 vs 7:30

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post
    This technique teaches you to stand your ground and move the attacker off line. Other techniques give you examples of moving off line.
    Is that safe for a beginner?
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Hi Sean,

I have seen some Kenpoists pull off a nice Deflecting Hammer while stepping to 7:30, although here are some reasons why I feel 6 o'clock works better:

http://jamieseabrook.blogspot.com/se...lecting+hammer
    While it may be easier to simply launch back, we teach zones of sanctuary to the beginner right away, and we don't start from a full right neutral; so, this explains some of the differences. Becasue of this difference in starting points, even Delayed Sword is taught at an angle; so, our version would be similar to our other beginning techs. In short, we don't take kicks head on unless the opponent starts close enough to call for that tactic.
    Sean

Thanks

Is that safe for a beginner?
    Why wouldn't it be? When I start in the passive ready position my hands are ready to drop when the kick comes in. Drop directly back, block hard, & keep the left hand up in the check position. I teach my students to use the hub-bud drills off of deflecting hammer. The attacker comes in with a kick/punch combo and we work from there.

The self defense techniques are examples. Deflecting hammer teaches the beginner to step directly back to establish your base (as we all know), set your bracing angle and so on. As I stated before this tech. teaches you to stand your ground and to move your attacker off line. As they go off on the angle you could think of your arm being a bat and the head being the ball. I think if you step off line yourself and move them off line or slightly off line your going to get the wrong desired angle for your elbow strike.
    You are taught to move off line in the examples of thrusting salute and also buckling branch. Each in their own right gives you the right and left step through kick with the proper angle of entry. Intellectual departure again gives you another example. Take all of your kicking techniques or kick/punch techniques, do them 1 at a time and observe your positions.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfarnsworth For This Useful Post:

KenpoJuJitsu3 (06-14-2007),thedan (06-16-2007)

Thanks

Why wouldn't it be? When I start in the passive ready position my hands are ready to drop when the kick comes in. Drop directly back, block hard, & keep the left hand up in the check position. I teach my students to use the hub-bud drills off of deflecting hammer. The attacker comes in with a kick/punch combo and we work from there.

The self defense techniques are examples. Deflecting hammer teaches the beginner to step directly back to establish your base (as we all know), set your bracing angle and so on. As I stated before this tech. teaches you to stand your ground and to move your attacker off line. As they go off on the angle you could think of your arm being a bat and the head being the ball. I think if you step off line yourself and move them off line or slightly off line your going to get the wrong desired angle for your elbow strike.
    You are taught to move off line in the examples of thrusting salute and also buckling branch. Each in their own right gives you the right and left step through kick with the proper angle of entry. Intellectual departure again gives you another example. Take all of your kicking techniques or kick/punch techniques, do them 1 at a time and observe your positions.
    We teach create distance then stabilize your base; so, no we don't all know you stabilize first. We don't do what you described until blue; so, the other kicking techs would be the same for our art as well, but different from what you describe.
    Sean

Thanks

We teach create distance then stabilize your base; so, no we don't all know you stabilize first. We don't do what you described until blue; so, the other kicking techs would be the same for our art as well, but different from what you describe.
    That appears to be a bit harsh. I'll take it as it is in written text and continue our dialog.

The mentioning of "establish your base" is a base term to teach people. The people in my lineage might use it more often or sooner than in your studio. There was nothing demeaning meant to anyone. You or your lineage might call the same thing something different. Stances are the most important to work on in the basics category. Which is why it's placed first with the highest emphasis. Without a base the rest just becomes weak, structurally.

Thanks

That appears to be a bit harsh. I'll take it as it is in written text and continue our dialog.

The mentioning of "establish your base" is a base term to teach people. The people in my lineage might use it more often or sooner than in your studio. There was nothing demeaning meant to anyone. You or your lineage might call the same thing something different. Stances are the most important to work on in the basics category. Which is why it's placed first with the highest emphasis. Without a base the rest just becomes weak, structurally.
    It becomes weak as soon as someone moves and you are no longer neutral to your oponent but in a neutral. So, what I was trying to say is that neutrality is taught first. With that being said stabilizing requires a higher level of timing than neutralizing. We teach the tech at a lower skill requirement. Perhaps stabilizing your base is an intermission of being neutral to your environment; so, we verb the stance and teach them how to make that elbow work anyway.
    Sean

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

It may come as a distinctive surprise to some, but you cannot "create distance" unless you have an established base to begin with.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    It may come as a distinctive surprise to some, but you cannot "create distance" unless you have an established base to begin with.
    You can launch first.
    sean

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

You can launch first.
    sean
    No, emphatically you cannot if your intent is to "create distance" utilizing your legs while standing upright.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    No, emphatically you cannot if your intent is to "create distance" utilizing your legs while standing upright.
    You are just pushing off to a zone of sanctuary, not broad jumping.
    sean

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links