Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April 2007 EPAK Technique of the Month - Glancing Spear

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default April 2007 EPAK Technique of the Month - Glancing Spear

Glancing Spear (Front- Right Direct Wrist Grab to Left Arm)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs your left hand with their right hand.

2. Step your right foot back to 6 o'clock into a transitory left neutral bow as you have your right hand (palm down) circle clockwise under your attacker's right wrist, pinning it, as you turn your left hand palm up. With this action, pivot into a left reverse bow as you pull your attacker's arms diagonally down past your right hip. As you settle into the reverse bow, grab your attacker's right wrist with your right hand.
    3. Pivot into a left neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you execute a left outward elbow strike to your attacker's lower right ribs.

4. Pivot into a left forward bow facing 12 o'clock as you use a left check on top of your attacker's right arm and glance your right arm off your attacker's right arm, executing a right finger thrust to your attacker's eyes.

5. Step your left foot to 4:30 into a cross over as sweep your attacker's right leg in the process.

6. Pivot clockwise as you execute a right outward backfist to your attacker's kidney. Let this pass through and then reverse to a right ridge-hand as you execute a right stiff-legged sweep to the back of your attacker's right leg to 4:30. You should be settled into a left forward bow facing 10:30 while your attacker is on the ground.

7. Execute a right downward looping round kick to your attacker's chest.

8. Cross out and cover
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Re: April 2007 EPAK Technique of the Month - Glancing Spear

Sir,

It seems that there are not a lot of people willing to explore this techinque. However I would love to discuss the thought of hidden strikes within the techinque.

6. Pivot clockwise as you execute a right outward backfist to your attacker's kidney. I like to insert a right outward horziontal elbow as followed by the hammer fist to the kidney.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

amylong (09-04-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

how 'bout the finger, wrist, elbow, shoulder locks in #2...
    where the elbow and finger thrusts in #'s 3 & 4 are there EVEN IF he dissolves your joint locks...
    "Rust Never Sleeps" - N.Young.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pete For This Useful Post:

amylong (09-04-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    6. Pivot clockwise as you execute a right outward backfist to your attacker's kidney. I like to insert a right outward horziontal elbow as followed by the hammer fist to the kidney.
    I can see how that suggestion follows off of the 'Triggered Salute' idea, however, I learned that we don't strike the same location twice in a row in American Kenpo. (In Triggered Salute, the outward elbow strikes the floating ribs - the hammerfist strikes the kidney).

Thanks

Well since I am a 5th black in Mr Parkers American Kenpo, I can see why one could come to that conclusion. However if we focus only on the strike and not the motion we miss out on so many options. The elbow / back knuckel combination for Triggered Salute and the example I used to start the topic of conversatation is nothing more than that an example, it is part of the catagory of compleation.

If you are excuting Grip of Death, and the person doesnt release the head lock after you strike the groin and the Kidney, dont you think you would hit them again?

When you do obscure claws dont you stirke the face with both a elbow followed by a claw to the face. Sure we can say that the elbow goes to the chin and the claw goes to the face, but are you sure? The relationship of the move is the focus.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Well since I am a 5th black in Mr Parkers American Kenpo, I can see why one could come to that conclusion. However if we focus only on the strike and not the motion we miss out on so many options. The elbow / back knuckel combination for Triggered Salute and the example I used to start the topic of conversatation is nothing more than that an example, it is part of the catagory of compleation.

If you are excuting Grip of Death, and the person doesnt release the head lock after you strike the groin and the Kidney, dont you think you would hit them again?

When you do obscure claws dont you stirke the face with both a elbow followed by a claw to the face. Sure we can say that the elbow goes to the chin and the claw goes to the face, but are you sure? The relationship of the move is the focus.
    Ok ... well, since you're a 5th black, my opinion has much less weight.

As for your other questions; unweighted answers would

No.

and

No.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

0nslaught (08-29-2007)

Thanks

Well you have your reasons for your posistion. I did not intend to insult you or your knowledge.That was not my intent. Every now and then it is good to step away from the box.

I do have a question for you. If you strike the person in the groin and the kidney and he doesnt let go what would you do?

DEEPEST RESPECT and best wishes

ps
    I have been taught to strike the same target more than once, and I would be happy to share examples with you.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

The general "idea" of not hitting the same target twice is because after the first time the attacker "should be" covering that area. People hold where they get hurt. Thus, the idea Mr. Edward's had of not hitting the same spot twice.

My thinking is to bite, pull fingers, try to stick my fingers in their eyes. We all know there's only a few seconds for this attack. If my double hammerfist doesn't work I'm not so sure there's enough time to load back up to strike again. Just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I was playing with this one today.
    I used to not like this technique but the more I play with it, it is a valuable one in the system. I believe this is the first technique to introduce the master key lead leg sweep into the darkness,spin and buckle.

I noticed that the intial counter to the grab has the same motion as circles of protection, only way smaller, so I started working the technique against a punch.

I found it works good with the techniques Leap of Death, and Destructive kneel. do the intitial parry and elbow break, and then do glancing spear from there.

It also works good starting from a lead hand parry or block, and coming over the top with the eye poke like in capturing the rod, and then completing glancing spear from there.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Ichelson For This Useful Post:

Hunter (08-28-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-29-2007)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: April 2007 EPAK Technique of the Month - Glancing Spear

Speaking of similar circles does anyone else see a relation to desperate falcons? This technique has always reminded me of it "cirlce wise" just one steps back and one forward.

I also like the wrist to wrist contact manipulation involved and the fact that you are using someones own back up mass against them in the start of the technique. When I learned this I also remember thinking "damn leg sweeps are cool".
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-29-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    I can see how that suggestion follows off of the 'Triggered Salute' idea, however, I learned that we don't strike the same location twice in a row in American Kenpo. (In Triggered Salute, the outward elbow strikes the floating ribs - the hammerfist strikes the kidney).
    What if the target where to suddenly change dimensions?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-29-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

desperate falcons, awesome. didn't see that actually.

Thanks

There is a relationship between the master key movement itself.

Look at the universal block and the open ended triangle on a horizontal plane.

Then play with thundering hammers and apply the graft to leaping crane etc
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Sorry not leaping crane, (Leap of Death)
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

whoa. that was light bulbish. thanks for that one Mr. Marshall. that one is sweet. I love glancing spear now. honestly I used to hate it. dont discard the un-usefull, it just may prove usefull someday, huh?

I learned a lot today kenpo wise. It's just been a light flickerin kinda day.

check out Mr. Soto's new clip posted on KN. I'm sure it will make it's way here. It's a good one.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Ichelson For This Useful Post:

Hunter (08-31-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-29-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ichelson View Post
    whoa. that was light bulbish. thanks for that one Mr. Marshall. that one is sweet. I love glancing spear now. honestly I used to hate it. dont discard the un-usefull, it just may prove usefull someday, huh?

I learned a lot today kenpo wise. It's just been a light flickerin kinda day.

check out Mr. Soto's new clip posted on KN. I'm sure it will make it's way here. It's a good one.

Enjoy Sir,

You just opened a new door, I just pointed to the door
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

So really, anytime you are on the outside of the arm, there is opportunity for the graft of the technique.

to go further with the thundering hammers start, and moving to the open ended triangle horizontally, your making a figure 8 basically to get outside the arm. Which is an inward outward observation of the circles. So techniques like evading the storm, Attacking mace, circling the horizon, all could also be great techniques to observe the graft possibilities. I love it.

Another observation of the symbols contained in the universal pattern. this is why I said what I said to Mr Soto on Kenponet. Cause I truly didn't understand, and now I am starting to. Honestly I never really paid much attention to the thing until recently cuz honestly, I didn't understand it in it's 3D form, and where I was in realationship to it positionally. I was like, ahh, one day i'll look into it im sure it's important, but im over here right now.... But now I see, I wish I really had understanding a long time ago.

I don't wanna say I never asked about it, cuz I did. And I recieved answers, just not the ones I needed. and I read the books, and there's explinations and pictures, it just didn't happen for me. It had to be discussed specifically and presented physically I guess for my understanding. maybe it was to make me search it out, maybe only time was gonna let me understand it,who knows. but I found it, it's gonna make my kenpo better for sure, and a lot more fun, and exploratory.

You got a lot of information to share Mr. Marshall, it's always a pleasure learning from you. Thanks for the new toy.

Thanks

So really, anytime you are on the outside of the arm, there is opportunity for the graft of the technique.

to go further with the thundering hammers start, and moving to the open ended triangle horizontally, your making a figure 8 basically to get outside the arm. Which is an inward outward observation of the circles. So techniques like evading the storm, Attacking mace, circling the horizon, all could also be great techniques to observe the graft possibilities. I love it.

Another observation of the symbols contained in the universal pattern. this is why I said what I said to Mr Soto on Kenponet. Cause I truly didn't understand, and now I am starting to. Honestly I never really paid much attention to the thing until recently cuz honestly, I didn't understand it in it's 3D form, and where I was in realationship to it positionally. I was like, ahh, one day i'll look into it im sure it's important, but im over here right now.... But now I see, I wish I really had understanding a long time ago.

I don't wanna say I never asked about it, cuz I did. And I recieved answers, just not the ones I needed. and I read the books, and there's explinations and pictures, it just didn't happen for me. It had to be discussed specifically and presented physically I guess for my understanding. maybe it was to make me search it out, maybe only time was gonna let me understand it,who knows. but I found it, it's gonna make my kenpo better for sure, and a lot more fun, and exploratory.

You got a lot of information to share Mr. Marshall, it's always a pleasure learning from you. Thanks for the new toy.

Thank you for the kind words Albi,

To answer your question about being on the outside. Yes, however there is still a right and wrong way to apply it with the correct structural support. Also dont just limit yourself to the outside. Look at the open ended triangle and its relationship to Snaking Talon, or Circling Fans. The relationship is in the master key move Albi. Not your posistion of inside or outside.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I think I see what you mean by that. ....Pondering.....

Are we still talking about the ability to carry on glancing spear, or are we now talking solely about the master key presented in the begining of glancing spear. Probably both im sure. I can see entrances to carry on glancing spear from circling fans and from snaking talon. But, I also do see the relationship in the open ended triangle in all those techniques as well.

I think im getting lost in translation. Is the lesson just to understand the master key and it's uses....to be able to recognize the motion in different positions for universality and options...to be able to graft this and "like" techniques that utilize that motion or you find yourself in a postion to utilize the master key....my brain is starting to hurt.

More than likely its all the above, im just processing to much right now with this, I need to explore each idea individually at home, im at work right now. I have the freedom to move around with it here, but i'm limitted effort wise. thanks for the new ideas though. i'll work with it tonight.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Ichelson For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-31-2007)

Thanks

I think I see what you mean by that. ....Pondering.....

Are we still talking about the ability to carry on glancing spear, or are we now talking solely about the master key presented in the begining of glancing spear. Probably both im sure. I can see entrances to carry on glancing spear from circling fans and from snaking talon. But, I also do see the relationship in the open ended triangle in all those techniques as well.

I think im getting lost in translation. Is the lesson just to understand the master key and it's uses....to be able to recognize the motion in different positions for universality and options...to be able to graft this and "like" techniques that utilize that motion or you find yourself in a postion to utilize the master key....my brain is starting to hurt.

More than likely its all the above, im just processing to much right now with this, I need to explore each idea individually at home, im at work right now. I have the freedom to move around with it here, but i'm limitted effort wise. thanks for the new ideas though. i'll work with it tonight.

Mr. Albi,

The answer is yes.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links