Thread: February 2007 EPAK Technique of the Month - Glancing Wing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default February 2007 EPAK Technique of the Month - Glancing Wing

Glancing Wing (Front- Left Uppercut)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes at you with a left uppercut.

2. From a right neutral bow, simultaneously execute a right inward block diagonally down onto the punch as you execute a left vertical punch to your attacker's face.

3. Without hesitation, hook your left hand down and out in a clockwise motion to the outside of your attacker's left arm as you execute a right punch to your attacker's left ribs.

4. Step your left foot to 4:30 into a right neutral bow facing 10:30 as your left hand hooks to the back of your attacker's neck.

5. With your attacker bending over, execute a right inward downward punch that becomes a forearm and elbow strike to the left side of your attacker's face.

6. Cross out to 4:30.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: February 2007 EPAK Technique of the Month - Glancing Wing

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post

2. From a right neutral bow, simultaneously execute a right inward block diagonally down onto the punch as you execute a left vertical punch to your attacker's face.
    I cannot visualise what is described here very well. Firstly, how can an inward block be applied to a left uppercut punch? Does the rotation of the shoulder cause the path of the block to continue down on top of the uppercut? I'd prefer to call this a downard forearm strike, or an inward+downward hammerfist strike I think.

Secondly I don't see it being very easy to do a left punch from a right neutral-bow. I'd prefer to be in a foward-bow to use that left hand as a punch.

How about a right downard block to the punching arm with a left slap-check to the shoulder (from neutral), with the left then rebounding off the shoulder to strike the face as you pivot to forward with that strike?

I recall the technique rather differently after this point so I'll stop there....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Several years back, we worked this technique at a Planas seminar. The notes are at Martialtalk, I'm sure.

One point made in that class is that this technique begins from a natural stance. We start this technique by breaking a rule. The rule is: "Don't Split your Stance". In this technique, we do split our stance because we can read the strike is coming at us from the low line.

The first move is an anchoring elbow downward/inward block, as I recall. We don't just execute a horizontal downward forearm, but drop that elbow first into the uppercut punch.

As we are making that block, we shift our right foot forward and our left foot backward. The left hand is also simultaneously striking the aggressors face. If we needed the range, we could drop our left into that forward bow, but if the attacker was close enough, the left foot could be in a neutral bow stance. I like the forward, but if the distance is not needed, the neutral should work, I think.

The head hook should roll the attackers head counterclockwise, so that the face is presented for that downward elbow strike.

Bang!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    The first move is an anchoring elbow downward/inward block, as I recall. We don't just execute a horizontal downward forearm, but drop that elbow first into the uppercut punch.

I want to make sure I understand you correctly...are you jamming their fist with your elbow (kind of like in sparring when you drive your elbow into a roundhouse kick?). How fast and accurate do you need to be to accomplish this?

If we needed the range, we could drop our left into that forward bow, but if the attacker was close enough, the left foot could be in a neutral bow stance. I like the forward, but if the distance is not needed, the neutral should work, I think.
    Given that we are defending against what is inherantly (sp?) an attack from close range, you should be ok with the neutral. If they are far enough away while attempting an uppercut, there are better ways of dealing with it.

Myself, I can't see doing this, but it does show the Chinese roots of Kenpo off.

Thanks

I am not attempting to intercept the fist with my elbow. I am trying to halt the upward motion of that uppercut with my forearm. I should be dropping my forearm into his forearm. But, I am leading that motion with my elbow.

The margin for error in that downward / inward, elbow / forearm, block / strike, should create the plus sign as my forearm (3-9) covers his forearm (12-6).

Is that more clear?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: February 2007 EPAK Technique of the Month - Glancing Wing

i have done this technique with huk aswell and the previous post by michael is correct with some points left out. the split stance and the left strike are very effective due to your opponents range,they are real close or they wouldn't be trying to give you the uppercut. the punch to the kidney is a chopping punch,there is also a stance angle adjustment before the last elbow is delivered similar to five swords. the head hook is the opposite side of the head hook in the ext of thundering hammers and there are some inserts that are not taught to the masses that make this extremely effective,figure what they are that is the fun part of the journey.
    later
    Jason Arnold
    CANADA
    Parker/Planas Lineage
    Presas/Hartman Arnis
    Hartsell/Irish JKD

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

This is a great technique. It flows very nicely. The small minor inserted movements really aid in the effectiveness of this technique.

Did I mention I like this one?

Thanks

If only I had Mr. Mills' permission to post the breakdown we have similiar to, and which was probably derived from this tech.! It's called "Maces of Doom". It starts the same way, and is probably a lot easier to do under stress.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

3. Without hesitation, hook your left hand down and out in a clockwise motion to the outside of your attacker's left arm as you execute a right punch to your attacker's left ribs.
    The motion with the left hand is fundamentally out of Strike Set. Rather than bringing the right hand back to hit the ribs, I take an eliptical clockwise path through the jaw (sometimes, depending on my range, leveraging the head back using his left shoulder as a fulcrum), and continue through to hammerfist the kidney as my left hammers & checks his arm out of the way. The left hand moves to the wrist as the right hammer fist moves through the body and performs an underhand outside-inside break of his left arm.

4. Step your left foot to 4:30 into a right neutral bow facing 10:30 as your left hand hooks to the back of your attacker's neck.
    Two upward blocks will clear the left arm over you. Left upward block moves to hammer the neck, the hand then wraps over the base of the skull / upper neck.

5. With your attacker bending over, execute a right inward downward punch that becomes a forearm and elbow strike to the left side of your attacker's face.
    The technique as written doesn't address how to get him down. Do people pull the neck down? What I do is 1) anchor my left elbow, 2) raise his left arm with my right forearm via an upward block, creating leverage on his spine, 3) fulcrum his head down (also addigin stress on the neck by now moving my left hand to the side of his head), 4) drop the strike to the jaw as described. Depending on where my right leg is, if there's clearance I will bring a knee up to the right side of his mandible as my right fist crashes down on the left side....snappo.

6. Cross out to 4:30.
    My cross out will on the circumstances. Note that this far we are blind to the ~3:00 to 7:00 area.

Great technique. Many lessons contained within it.

cheers,

Steven Brown
    UKF

Thanks

Ok I know I do this differently. So here we go....the opponent throws the left upper cut.

1. Step to 12 o'clock in a right modiefied horse stance, once you plant deliver your right downward forearm strike to his forearm, while delivering a left vertical punch to the face.
    2. The right arm bounces off his forearm and delivers the upward outward stike palm up to pretty much any target on the right side of his head (I like the jaw).
    3. Continue this motion clockwise as you step to about 4 o'clock with your left foot, once you plant deliver the right hammer first to the ribs (as said before...it is the same strike as in striking set 1).
    4. Once again step with your left foot further up the circle to about about 3 o'clock as you right hand hooks around his right arm and lifts it upwards checking it, while your left arm cranes the back of his head and pulls him downward (here is your push and pull sort of like in Defying the Storm.) At the end of this you should be in a right forward bow.
    5. Once you have planted, immediately pivot into a right neutral bow and deliver the right glancing forearm smash while you still have his kneck with your left hand (that always reminds me of mashed potatoes for some reason.)
    6. Right front cross over, cover out towards 4ish.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    Ok I know I do this differently. So here we go....the opponent throws the left upper cut.

1. Step to 12 o'clock in a right modiefied horse stance, once you plant deliver your right downward forearm strike to his forearm, while delivering a left vertical punch to the face.
    2. The right arm bounces off his forearm and delivers the upward outward stike palm up to pretty much any target on the right side of his head (I like the jaw).
    3. Continue this motion clockwise as you step to about 4 o'clock with your left foot, once you plant deliver the right hammer first to the ribs (as said before...it is the same strike as in striking set 1).
    4. Once again step with your left foot further up the circle to about about 3 o'clock as you right hand hooks around his right arm and lifts it upwards checking it, while your left arm cranes the back of his head and pulls him downward (here is your push and pull sort of like in Defying the Storm.) At the end of this you should be in a right forward bow.
    5. Once you have planted, immediately pivot into a right neutral bow and deliver the right glancing forearm smash while you still have his kneck with your left hand (that always reminds me of mashed potatoes for some reason.)
    6. Right front cross over, cover out towards 4ish.
    Mostly, I want to comment on Step 2 listed here; but first ... the step forward to a modified horse? We learned 'modified horse' means is a 'short horse' - the width is correct, but the depth of the stance is reduced. Is that what you mean? -- If you mean something else, my concern would be - are you facing your work? Did you turn your shoulders?

The palm strike to the right side of the attackers' face works fine, and something along those lines should be inserted into the technique to get a reaction from the attacker. Mr. Planas uses an eye slice. But, I think it could really be just a 'Jedi-Wave' type of motion as well. The intent here is to get the attacker to lift his head upa bit and to bring his right hand up (both hands would be even better), allowing us access for the punch to the ribs. And, I will say that strike should be a punch, not a hammer fist - front to knuckles vertical against the attackers floating ribs.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

bujuts post about striking with the hammer with the follow through i don't really agree with because you would be reaching for your target based on the fact that your left shoulder is back ie farther away therefore it would not be as effective to do that's why it is the left arm that does the hook to give you position for the right to follow with the eye slice (that motion helps you load your right for a chopping punch to the ribs or kidney depending on your arm hook and his position. the left arm hook is applied like a horse bite and now to my second point.
    i was curious parkerkarate 's post said the finish is with a left crane hook bringing your opponent down holding him for the right elbow smash,the ending is the category completion like i stated earlier to thundering hammers using your left hand as you roll your opponents face towards you and continue to control your opponents head as you right elbow and slight shuffle. that's how i learned it and i used to do it like others have posted but this version to me taught by huk seems to be the most effective and complete using the kenpo formula equation.
    great post guys lots to learn from each other
    later
    Jason Arnold
    CANADA
    Parker/Planas Lineage
    Presas/Hartman Arnis
    Hartsell/Irish JKD

Thanks

Our modiefied horse is the stance in between a side horse and a neutral bow.The toes point about 45 degrees forward, which allows your shoulders to turn also. The depth does not change. It is not a heal palm strike, I do not think it is callled a inverted hammerfist. The fist stays clenched. (Turn your fist up side down, you hit with the thumb and index finger side, I hope that helps. If not look on page 110 in infinite insights vol.3, at the very bottom of the page, Mr. Trejo is doing a ridge hand to the right side of the head, just picture that but with a closed fist.)

The hammer fist is not totally a hammer fist to the ribs. It is the same strike from Cross of Death, we call it a chopping punch.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

[quote=michaeledward;44570] - are you facing your work?

Shades of Mr.Planas...

1stJohn1:9

Thanks

I know that this was posted in February and, I don't know how I overlooked it...could be lawyers..I dunno. But, there are some issues or misunderstanings (on my part, very likely) that I would like to get aired out or clarified, respectively. Please feed me crow if I'm wrong here and accept my preemptive/presumptuous thanks for allowing me a little lattitude.

5.0 got lambasted for starting in a neutral bow as opposed to a natural stance. I believe the paraphrase was, "since when do we get to choose what stance we're in when we get attacked?". I don't think it's hypocracy...I think it's just selective identification of what one (or more) would perceive as a problem. Since I want to understand this technique, I'll indicate now that I have no problem with the possibility that one may become aware of an impending attack, thereby taking a defensive posture. Just a difference of opinion.

This is really fuzzy to me (like I said, feel free to edify me as I'd like to understand this better). How does one execute a right, inward block diagonally down onto a left upper cut while in a right neutral bow? I can't seem to get it to work. Is the upper cut outside and to the liver or inside and to the jaw? If it is to the jaw, I can see this working.

The rest of this, I can work out. I just can't seem to grasp the first part of it (the inward block to the uppercut). Can someone make this plain for a simple orange belt to figure out?

Many kind thanks and certainly no disrespect intended.

~Peace and God's blessings
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Thanks

***crickets chirping***
    ~Bill Richardson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toejoe2k View Post
    ***crickets chirping***
    Bill, I missed your post the other day ... and today has been incredibly long for me ... I'll get a response to your post tomorrow.

Good questions ... but I think you have some mistaken assumptions underlying them.

Til then, I sleep.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (03-09-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toejoe2k View Post
    This is really fuzzy to me (like I said, feel free to edify me as I'd like to understand this better). How does one execute a right, inward block diagonally down onto a left upper cut while in a right neutral bow? I can't seem to get it to work. Is the upper cut outside and to the liver or inside and to the jaw? If it is to the jaw, I can see this working.

The rest of this, I can work out. I just can't seem to grasp the first part of it (the inward block to the uppercut). Can someone make this plain for a simple orange belt to figure out?

Do you know the attack in Raining Claw? The attack for Glancing wing is the opposite.

Raining Claw is a Right Uppercut with the Right foot forward.
    Glancing Wing is a Left Uppercut with the Left foot forward.

The punch is not aimed at the jaw, but rather the rib cage. Someone is trying to knock the wind out of you. Think "Body Blow".

As for the 'inward block' ... I sort of think that is a bad way of describing the blocking motion. I am assuming that you know the 'Star Block Set'. In this set, we execute an upward block, followed by an 'anchoring inward block'; from the upward, we lead with our elbow, to the inward block. In the Star Block set, this block transition takes place pretty high - almost infront of our face. In the techniques Raining Claw and Glancing Wing, we execute the same 'anchoring inward block', but on a lower level (Mid leve actually); in front of our rib cage, instead of our face.

Here is another way to look at the block .... picture the direction of travel of the forearm. Imagine you are wiping crumbs off a table and onto the floor with your forearm; you forearm creates a wiping motion; using all 17 or 18 inches to clear crumbs. The anchoring inward block in Glancing Wing (and Raining Claw) should be viewed as a forearm "wipe" from your right shoulder down and across your sternum. In this manner, you are not attempting to block a single point; but a wide area in front of your body.

Let me know if this generates any new questions.

Mike

20. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (03-09-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    [/color]

Do you know the attack in Raining Claw? The attack for Glancing wing is the opposite.

Raining Claw is a Right Uppercut with the Right foot forward.
    Glancing Wing is a Left Uppercut with the Left foot forward.

The punch is not aimed at the jaw, but rather the rib cage. Someone is trying to knock the wind out of you. Think "Body Blow".

As for the 'inward block' ... I sort of think that is a bad way of describing the blocking motion. I am assuming that you know the 'Star Block Set'. In this set, we execute an upward block, followed by an 'anchoring inward block'; from the upward, we lead with our elbow, to the inward block. In the Star Block set, this block transition takes place pretty high - almost infront of our face. In the techniques Raining Claw and Glancing Wing, we execute the same 'anchoring inward block', but on a lower level (Mid leve actually); in front of our rib cage, instead of our face.

Here is another way to look at the block .... picture the direction of travel of the forearm. Imagine you are wiping crumbs off a table and onto the floor with your forearm; you forearm creates a wiping motion; using all 17 or 18 inches to clear crumbs. The anchoring inward block in Glancing Wing (and Raining Claw) should be viewed as a forearm "wipe" from your right shoulder down and across your sternum. In this manner, you are not attempting to block a single point; but a wide area in front of your body.

Let me know if this generates any new questions.

Mike
    Okay, thanks. I see how this works now, I think. It's a bit different from how we do it but, I still see its effectiveness. Thank you for the edification on that.
    ~Bill Richardson

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links