Thread: December 2006 Set of the Month - Blocking Set 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default December 2006 Set of the Month - Blocking Set 2

Bow.

Start from a horse stance facing 12 o’clock.

1. Execute a right upward block.

2. Leaving your hand as the focal point, turn it into a right inward block.

3. From the inside, rotate at the shoulder so now it is a right extended outward block.

4. From there, circle it down until it is a right downward block.

5. From there, go into reverse motion and execute a right inward downward block.

6. Execute a right back elbow (used as a block to protect your ribs).

7. Execute a right push-down block.

8. Chamber.

9. Execute a left upward block.

10. Leaving your hand as the focal point, execute a left inward block.

11. Rotating at the shoulder, execute a left extended outward block.

12. Circle it across your chest and out so you execute a left downward block.

13. Execute a left inward downward block.

14. Execute a left back elbow (used as a block to protect your ribs).

15. Execute a left push-down block.

16. Chamber.

17. Execute an upward X-block (a left and a right upward block).

18. Rotate and execute a left and a right inward block so that they cross in front of you.

19. Rotating at the shoulders, simultaneously execute a left and right extended outward block.

20. Circle both arms in and simultaneously execute a left and right outward downward block.

21. Simultaneously execute a left and a right inward downward block, flowing into back elbow strikes with the left and right elbows. (Chambering both.)

22. Execute a downward X-block with palms open and down (left and right push-down blocks).

23. Simultaneously execute a left upward block as you execute a right push-down block.

24. Simultaneously execute a left inward block as you execute a right back elbow.

25. Simultaneously execute a left extended outward block as you execute a right outward downward block (making sure to block in front of the groin).

26. Simultaneously execute a left outward downward block as you execute a right extended outward block.

27. Simultaneously execute a left inward downward block flowing into a left back elbow strike as you simultaneously execute a right inward block.

28. Simultaneously execute a left push-down block as you execute a right upward block.

29. Chamber.

30. Simultaneously execute a left push-down block as you execute a right upward block.

31. Simultaneously execute a left back elbow as you execute a right inward block.

32. Simultaneously execute a left outward downward block as you execute a right extended outward block.

33. Simultaneously execute a left extended outward block as you execute a right outward downward block.

34. Simultaneously execute a left inward block as you execute a right inward downward block, flowing into a right back elbow strike.

35. Simultaneously execute a left upward block as you execute a right push-down block.

36. Chamber.

37. Pivot into a right forward bow facing 3 o'clock as you execute a right universal block.

38. Pivot into a right neutral bow facing 3 o'clock as you execute a left universal block towards 1:30.

39. Pivot into a left forward bow facing 9 o'clock as you execute a left universal block.

40. Pivot into a left neutral bow facing 9 o'clock as you execute a right universal block towards 10:30.

41. Pivot back into a horse stance facing 12 o'clock as you simultaneously execute a right upward block and a left inward downward block (palm down).

42. Simultaneously execute a left upward block and a right inward downward block (palm down).

43. Simultaneously execute a right upward parry and a left inward downward block (palm up).

44. Simultaneously execute a left upward parry and a right inward downward block (palm up).

45. Pivot into a right forward bow facing 3 o'clock as you execute a right outward downward parry.

46. Pivot in place into a right neutral bow facing 3 o'clock as you execute a right outward parry followed immediately by a left outward hooking parry (waiter's block).

47. Pivot into a left forward bow facing 9 o'clock as you execute a left outward downward parry and a right inward parry.

48. Pivot in place into a left neutral bow facing 9 o'clock as you execute a left outward parry followed immediately by a right outward hooking parry (waiter's block).

49. Pivot back into a horse stance facing 12 o'clock. Bring your right foot into a one-leg stance as you simultaneously execute a right outward downward pary (palm out) and a left inward parry.

50. Drop your right foot back into a horse stance facing 12 o'clock. Bring your left foot up into a one-leg stance as you simultaneously execute a left outward downward parry (palm out) and a right inward parry.

51. Drop your left foot back to 6 o'clock into a right forward bow facing 12
    o'clock as you execute a downward X-block (hands open).

52. Slide your right foot back to 3 o'clock into a horse stance facing 12 o'clock as you simultaneously execute a left and a right outward downward parry.

53. Simultaneously execute a left and a right outward hooking parry (waiter's block).

54. Simultaneously execute a left and a right push-down block.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: December 2006 Set of the Month - Blocking Set 2

This is one of the best sets in American Kenpo in my opinion. It amazes me how many schools don't teach it.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I learned it. It used to drive me crazy though. I cracked my knuckles together soooo many times and would get discombobulated on top of that! Then I realized I was "thinking" too much about what I was doing. When I just let loose and "went" with it I did fine. Good practice for using both arms simultaneously and gaining some ambidexterity.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Just because it's got a "2" at the end doesn't make it more advanced or effective.

Consider for a start, the poor body mechanics developed from learning to block from a horse-stance instead of a neutral-bow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Just a couple of thoughts on this write up.

In the universal block section, when we change from 3:00 to 9:00 O'clock, we use a cover step with our right foot. We also do the same thing with that direction change in on the parry sequence. We really have no choice, if we're in a neutral toward 3:00, using a pivot will not get us to the correct toe-heel alignment toward 9:00.

And, in step 45, I learned this set in this manner, with just a right downward, but that really didn't make any sense. Somewhere along the line, Mr. Hogan added the left inward parry to that move as well. I'm open to suggestions as to why step 45 is listed with just the downward parry, where as step 47 includes two parries simultaneously.

A couple of minor frustrations on my part;

The circular blocks between the Universal's and the Parries --- does anyone else get them confused with the isolations in Form 4?

And, who else gets the one leg stances in this set confused with the one leg stances in Stance Set 2? ... which one has the upward parry? which one has a low hand cover? Arrggh!!!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I understand and grasp the set well untill the last section round section 50 where we are showling highlights by dropin our right foot to six to a lef netural, its been annoying me for some time, i have a rough idea of it but would appreciate a video or something in order to aid me. any ideas guys?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lqkenpo View Post
    I understand and grasp the set well untill the last section round section 50 where we are showling highlights by dropin our right foot to six to a lef netural, its been annoying me for some time, i have a rough idea of it but would appreciate a video or something in order to aid me. any ideas guys?
    The way I read your comment, you are either reversed from the write up, or stepping back sooner than I do.

However, if I understand you question ---- We step back at #51 to get back where we started from ... we sort of 'scoot' forward with the turns toward 3:00 & 9:00. We don't ever really take a full step (or even half-step) forward.

First we shuffle that left foot forward a bit for the right forward bow toward three (with the Universal Blocks) ... then we step forward a bit, over the 'cover angle' to the left foward bow toward 9:00 .... We repeat that 'one foot width' scoot forward again, with the downward/outward parry combination.

So, by the end of the set ... we have scooted foward once, twice, three times. We need to get back to the starting line. The way we do that is described in Step 51 ---- Step 50 - One leg stance on our left foot - right foot plants where to a horse - Step 51 - One leg stance on our right foot - left foot gets planted back at the original starting line (three scoots back) in a right neutral bow. At this point, our left foot is at the 'starting line', we draw our right foot back to the starting line with the dual 'waiter checks'.

Is that what you were asking?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Just because it's got a "2" at the end doesn't make it more advanced or effective.

Consider for a start, the poor body mechanics developed from learning to block from a horse-stance instead of a neutral-bow.
    First, some of the material covered in Blocking Set 2 is a little more advanced than the material covered in Blocking Set 1.

Secondly, I thought we were using the Horse Stance to to develop erect posture, balance, and power generation from a solid (stationary) stance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lear View Post
    First, some of the material covered in Blocking Set 2 is a little more advanced than the material covered in Blocking Set 1.

Secondly, I thought we were using the Horse Stance to to develop erect posture, balance, and power generation from a solid (stationary) stance.
    Sets were not derived to isolate basics, were they?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Sets were not derived to isolate basics, were they?
    I agree, but that is not the issue I was addressing.

Thanks

I thought we were using the Horse Stance to to develop erect posture, balance, and power generation from a solid (stationary) stance.
    Exactly what I tell my students Bill. Well put.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

No it the hand movements in regards to the double outward hooking parries and such... feet positioning is fine i just cant seem to flow the last section with hand movements e.g. downward chop clokc to outward parrys to 2 outward hookin parries to double pushdown...

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

In my understanding the neutral-bow is already a horse-stance but angled differently. So the neutral-bow can be used equally well to develop "erect posture", "balance" and "power generation" as you say.

The problem with training blocks from a horse stance is that the blocks are essentially misaligned - the kenpo blocks are designed to be maximally effective from the neutral-bow stance. The student is ingraining bad mechanics right from the word go, and is learning to execute blocks that will never be used in reality.

If short-1, the most important form in the whole system, teaches to block from the neutral-bow, why is it therefore acceptable to contradict the lessons it contains by isolating the blocks in a horse-stance?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    In my understanding the neutral-bow is already a horse-stance but angled differently. So the neutral-bow can be used equally well to develop "erect posture", "balance" and "power generation" as you say.

The problem with training blocks from a horse stance is that the blocks are essentially misaligned - the kenpo blocks are designed to be maximally effective from the neutral-bow stance. The student is ingraining bad mechanics right from the word go, and is learning to execute blocks that will never be used in reality.

If short-1, the most important form in the whole system, teaches to block from the neutral-bow, why is it therefore acceptable to contradict the lessons it contains by isolating the blocks in a horse-stance?
    Actually, I think there is much to be learned from executing the blocks from a horse stance, leading up to and including the fact that you can properly execute a block from any stance within the system. Not just the Neutral Bow stance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lqkenpo View Post
    No it the hand movements in regards to the double outward hooking parries and such... feet positioning is fine i just cant seem to flow the last section with hand movements e.g. downward chop clokc to outward parrys to 2 outward hookin parries to double pushdown...
    Let me try and explain what I do with my hands ... for I do not find the hand movements awkward at all. In fact, these are some of the smoothest hand movements, and simplest to perform, in the system.

Starting from #50 ... I am standing on my right leg, my left leg is elevated. My right hand is directly in front of my chest, with my fingers pointed toward 12:00 O'clock, palm facing toward 9:00 O'clock. My left hand is just behind my left buttock, my palm is flat and parallel to the floor. My left hand is protecting my groin from an attack from 7:30.

At Step #51 ... I step down from the one leg stance, by placing my left foot toward 7:30, so that my feet are in a Right Neutral Bow Stance. As I plant my feet, My hands form a low line 'X-block' with the palms open (as described). My hands are now directly in front of my body, at waist level, right over left, palms facing toward my feet, diagonally.

At Step #52 ... I draw my right foot toward 4:30, so that I am now back at the starting line, my feet in a training horse stance. With this foot motion, I draw my hands down the sides of a triangle. In step 51, my hands were crossed at the apex of a triangle, here, I move my hands simultaneously down the sides of the triangle to the rear corners of the triangle. My arms are in line with my hips, my plams facing inward. The triangle I am talking about in this step is positioned horizontally.

At Step #53 ... imagine that the horizontal triangle is raised to vertical, the apex coming up to your face. I draw my hands back up the sides of the triangle ... travelling from beside my hips, rotating inward, and moving toward the apex, which is now right in front of my eyes. Just before my hands reach the apex of the triangle, I twist my palms up, in the waiter check position, at shoulder level; fingers now pointing toward 3:00 and 9:00 respectively.

At Step #54 ... rotate those palm up hands inward to a palm down push down. And close.

So ...the way I see the hand movements, at this point, is that they move along a horizontal triangle, and then along a vertical triangle.

I do think this set is a bit goofy ... I call it the 'Flower Form' because of the parries. But, these hand movements are find are very smooth.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Thanks

What is old is new again. The December 2008 Set of the Month is Blocking Set 2 again. Lets see what we can add to former discussion of this set.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links