Thread: November 2006 Technique of the Month - Fatal Deviation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default November 2006 Technique of the Month - Fatal Deviation

Fatal Deviation (Front- Right & Left Punch Combination)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes at you with a right punch.

2. Step your left foot to 6 o'clock into a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you execute a right inward block to the inside of your attacker's right arm while your left hand positionally checks at your solar plexus.

3. Your attacker throws a left roundhouse punch as your head.

4. Shuffle forward into a right forward bow as you execute a left extended outward block to the inside of your attacker's left arm as you simultaneously execute a left vertical punch to your attacker's face.

5. Pivot into a right neutral bow as you execute a right thrusting inward hand sword to the left side of your attacker's neck. (Your left will return to check at your solar plexus.)

6. Immediately step your left foot into a left front crossover as you have your right hand circle counterclockwise diagonally down to force your attacker's right arm against the right side of their body. (Your right elbow should also check off your attacker's left arm.) Simultaneous with this action, circle your left hand clockwise as you execute a left inward palm strike to the right side of your attacker's jaw.

7. Step your right foot to 11 o'clock into a right neutral bow still facing 12 o'clock to buckle the inside your attacker's right knee as you simultaneously execute a right inward elbow to the left side of your attacker's face.

8. Pivot counterclockwise into a right reverse bow as you execute a right back hammerfist to your attacker's groin. (Your left hand will check over your right shoulder.)

9. Execute a right front crossover towards 7:30.

10. Survey.

11. Execute a left rear crossover to your attacker followed by a right rear kick to your attacker's stomach.

12. Cross out to 6 o'clock.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: November 2006 Technique of the Month - Fatal Deviation

Out of curiousity, what belt level is this tech normally taught at?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    Out of curiousity, what belt level is this tech normally taught at?
    In our school, this is a technique we learn as we are progressing from 1st degree brown to 1st degree black. Specifically, it is technique 145 on the required 151 techniques to black at our school.

In Step 4 - Rob says left extended outward. That should read a 'right' extended outward, which is obvious if you look to what is being defended.

In Step 7 & 8 - I am not quite certain about the right inward elbow, it has to be an 'excuse me' on the way to the hammerfist to the groin. Also, when stepping to 11 with our right, we throw a knee to the inside of the attackers' thigh.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Michael,
    I believe the inward elbow is the "as written" version Mr. Planas generally throws out. I believe he teaches the knee then upward forearm strike to take out the opponents base. As the right arm checks down the left heel palm comes up then knee to the forearm strike then step up with the left foot, back hammerfist and right rear scoop. That how you learned it from him?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post
    Michael,
    I believe the inward elbow is the "as written" version Mr. Planas generally throws out. I believe he teaches the knee then upward forearm strike to take out the opponents base. As the right arm checks down the left heel palm comes up then knee to the forearm strike then step up with the left foot, back hammerfist and right rear scoop. That how you learned it from him?
    I have not worked this technique with Mr. Planas, only my direct teacher, Mr. Hogan. But, what you write is pretty close to what we do.

In short ...

Block the right punch
    Block the left punch with a left punch to the face
    Right inward handsword
    Left front cross-over with a left inward heel palm with a right hammer to the groin
    Right knee strike to the thigh
    Right elbow pop beneath the attackers chin (snapping upward forearm?)
    Inward circle to another right hammer to the groin with a left step to 7:30
    Draw to a cat and thrusting side kick to the mid-section

The step with the left is the 'deviation'. The last kick, we execute to an high line, rather than a scoop. The target is the sternum. Hopefully, the attacker is bent over a bit from the groin strikes, and I want to drive him a way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post
    Michael,
    I believe the inward elbow is the "as written" version Mr. Planas generally throws out. I believe he teaches the knee then upward forearm strike to take out the opponents base. As the right arm checks down the left heel palm comes up then knee to the forearm strike then step up with the left foot, back hammerfist and right rear scoop.

I'm torn on this one. Both an elbow strike and the rising forearm strike seem right. I don't believe I do the scoop.

What's weird for me on this one is that when my instructor and I made the color katas, he wanted to do this one but on the other side, so this is one of those incidences where I learned it for the opposite attacks. Why he did it to this one move is beyond me because then I just practiced it all the time on the opposite side.

I think we usually did the first attack as an uppercut. Anyone else do it for that?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

It was a back kick. Sorry, that was my mistake of thinking of antoher technique.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    In our school, this is a technique we learn as we are progressing from 1st degree brown to 1st degree black. Specifically, it is technique 145 on the required 151 techniques to black at our school.

In Step 4 - Rob says left extended outward. That should read a 'right' extended outward, which is obvious if you look to what is being defended.
    Yeah, that makes more sense. I love the Brown Belt material!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

This is definitely on my list of the techniques that I do not like what so ever. I understand that it is probably just one of those completing techniques but I would much rather do Unfurling Crane if any technique against this atttack.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    This is definitely on my list of the techniques that I do not like what so ever. I understand that it is probably just one of those completing techniques but I would much rather do Unfurling Crane if any technique against this atttack.
    this may help you like it more... rather than a 'completing thingy', try using it as an 'even-if'.

first, unfurling crane is against a left followed by a right, while fatal dev is a right followed by a left.

one scenario to practice this tech would be to have your opponent pull his right punch while you begin to respond with 5 swords. have him continue with the left, and you graft from 5-swords to shielding hammer by converting the right handsword to a right outward block. from there follow through with the rest of the tech as you learned it.
    "Rust Never Sleeps" - N.Young.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    this may help you like it more... rather than a 'completing thingy', try using it as an 'even-if'.

first, unfurling crane is against a left followed by a right, while fatal dev is a right followed by a left.
    Yes but no one ever said we couldn't do it on the other side. I will try that drill out, thanks.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post

one scenario to practice this tech would be to have your opponent pull his right punch while you begin to respond with 5 swords. have him continue with the left, and you graft from 5-swords to shielding hammer by converting the right handsword to a right outward block. from there follow through with the rest of the tech as you learned it.
    Nice, brother, nice....
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes at you with a right punch.

2. Step your left foot to 6 o'clock into a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you execute a right inward block to the inside of your attacker's right arm while your left hand positionally checks at your solar plexus.
    Timing and the depth of the attack will determine whether I step back with the left or step in with the right. For most kenpo systems, this is taught at the intermediate belt levels, and so in my mind this parameters of the neutral bow should be solid enough to bring this in as an attack. With that in mind, I lean towards launching in with my right leg.

3. Your attacker throws a left roundhouse punch as your head.

4. Shuffle forward into a right forward bow as you execute a left extended outward block to the inside of your attacker's left arm as you simultaneously execute a left vertical punch to your attacker's face.
    My attack in should bring me to roughly second ring penetration (knee range). The transition from the inward block to the outward block to the extended outward block (i.e. Block Set) goes through the jaw, assisting in the cancelation of that left arm. As I reach the extended outward block, I will have hit a forward bow to fuel my left punch to the head.

5. Pivot into a right neutral bow as you execute a right thrusting inward hand sword to the left side of your attacker's neck. (Your left will return to check at your solar plexus.)

6. Immediately step your left foot into a left front crossover as you have your right hand circle counterclockwise diagonally down to force your attacker's right arm against the right side of their body. (Your right elbow should also check off your attacker's left arm.) Simultaneous with this action, circle your left hand clockwise as you execute a left inward palm strike to the right side of your attacker's jaw.
    While I like the combination of going to the neck / collar bone, I tend to go through the head with a hammer fist as I accelerate towards the left twist stance. I will palm strike the the jaw (left palm) as my right hand, having continued through the same path of action (Block Set, once again), hits the groin, all as my left foot hits that twist stance.

7. Step your right foot to 11 o'clock into a right neutral bow still facing 12 o'clock to buckle the inside your attacker's right knee as you simultaneously execute a right inward elbow to the left side of your attacker's face.
    My strike after the buckle will depend on the depth of penetration to the right hip / leg. The weapon I use will depend on the target that buckle created.

8. Pivot counterclockwise into a right reverse bow as you execute a right back hammerfist to your attacker's groin. (Your left hand will check over your right shoulder.)

9. Execute a right front crossover towards 7:30.
    The way I do it, I've already nailed the groin at the same time I strike the jaw with my left palm heel. Where I go from here is entirely dependent on the situation, including the cover. If there's danger or uncertainty from the 6:00 direction - which at this point in the technique is a direction we've yet to cover with our 180 degree peripheral vision - I will move to a right twist and thread through to his left leg towards 2:00 or so. Pivot to a concave facing 7:00 and then complete the buckle of his left leg with my right. He is now on the ground, and I'm facing the previously unknown direction of ~3:00 to 9:00.

This brings up an interesting topic, though its likely best placed in another thread. What is your environmental awareness while in mid technique? Granted, we need to be keenly aware at the onset of the technique to deal with the initial attack. But, once we've reached the contact manipulation stage (generall first or second ring), we'd better remain aware of our surroundings. Its an interesting study to investigate what techniques offer you in terms of 360 awareness. Fatal Deviation, as described in the initial post here, leaves a blind spot between approximately 4:00 and 8:00. The described cover towards 7:30 fails to deal with that unknown zone, and this is the reason I like continuing my penetration of the attacker's spinal ring until I gain full awareness of what is behind me.

Environmental awareness, don't leave home without it

Salute, great technique. Look forward to more.

Steven Brown
    UKF

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links